British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Beth

Collecting decimal coins given in my change

For some reason the link that I enclosed did not work properly. Sorry Everyone.

www.flickr.com/photos/84744892@N00/4307046566/

Hopefully this will work better! lol

Oh dear!

I don't seem to be having much luck on the link front today do I?

I'll just add it as a picture file. Surely that will work... Wont it? lol

post-5830-002946500 1290983487_thumb.jpg

I think that they are quite nice too Scott. I think that it has an interesting design.

Although I must admit, I do like the new 'Cities' series of designs for the UK £1 coins that have recently been released. They have interesting designs too.

London

Belfast

Edinburgh

Cardiff

I managed to obtain one of these from my change today. It is the first of any of the 2012 Olympic Commemorative 50p's that I have seen.

Only 28 to go now! lol

I managed to obtain one of these from my change today. It is the first of any of the 2012 Olympic Commemorative 50p's that I have seen.

Only 28 to go now! lol

Nice onr Rob!

Nice onr Rob!

Thanks Marc. :)

I managed to obtain another 2010 20p and another 2010 5p yesterday. Still no sign of the 10p for me yet though!

2011 50p in change how?

i think 2010 will be a nice low mintage year :D

2011 50p in change how?

As far as I know Scott the Royal Mint started to circulate the new 2012 Olympic Commemorative 50p issues in the past month or two for us all to collect from our change.

As for the 2011 date, I think.- Although I'm not exactly sure on this - That they are all dated 2011.

2011 50p in change how?

As far as I know Scott the Royal Mint started to circulate the new 2012 Olympic Commemorative 50p issues in the past month or two for us all to collect from our change.

As for the 2011 date, I think.- Although I'm not exactly sure on this - That they are all dated 2011.

Very interesting. First time I've ever known the Royal Mint to issue coins of a given year, in advance of that year.

Very interesting. First time I've ever known the Royal Mint to issue coins of a given year, in advance of that year.

Decimalisation??

Decimalisation??

Minting commenced way in advance of 1971 but they were not officially released until 15/2/71.

Decimalisation??

Minting commenced way in advance of 1971 but they were not officially released until 15/2/71.

Not so - the blue decimal packs were available in 1968 and included the 2p 1p and 1/2p dated 1971! (Mind you, you couldn't spend them yet..)

[Not so - the blue decimal packs were available in 1968 and included the 2p 1p and 1/2p dated 1971! (Mind you, you couldn't spend them yet..)

I stand corrected, but I don't actually remember them being available that far in advance. Of course you couldn't spend them...

[Not so - the blue decimal packs were available in 1968 and included the 2p 1p and 1/2p dated 1971! (Mind you, you couldn't spend them yet..)

I stand corrected, but I don't actually remember them being available that far in advance. Of course you couldn't spend them...

I'll have to go and find mine, for some reason I 'm thinking it is in a red folder.

No it is Blue and as about as saleable as a Churchill crown.

Edited by Gary D

Not so - the blue decimal packs were available in 1968 and included the 2p 1p and 1/2p dated 1971! (Mind you, you couldn't spend them yet..)

As far as I am aware, The Blue Decimal Folders were released in 1968 and they contained a 10p, a 5p (Both dated 1968) a 2p, a 1p and a 1/2p (All three 'Copper' coins were dated 1971.)

The 10p and the 5p ran alongside the Florin and Shilling and were interchangeable and of equal value. However, the 'Copper' didn't become legal tender until 'D Day' in 1971.

Edited by Chingford

The first fifty pence pieces were dated 1968/9, as with the Coppers it wasn't legal tender until 1971, so probably would have only been included in the later sets.

The 50p first went into circulation in 1969.

Although if I'm honest Chingford I do not know if they were first made in 1968 or in 1969. I always thought that it was 1969.

There is an interesting story

here concerning the introduction of the 50p.

In particular I liked the part about the 'Anti-Heptagonists' lol

There is another interesting story here concerning the introduction of the 10p and 5p into circulation in 1968.

The video clip is certainly worth a watch. :)

As far as I am aware, The Blue Decimal Folders were released in 1968 and they contained a 10p, a 5p (Both dated 1968) a 2p, a 1p and a 1/2p (All three 'Copper' coins were dated 1971.)

The 10p and the 5p ran alongside the Florin and Shilling and were interchangeable and of equal value. However, the 'Copper' didn't become legal tender until 'D Day' in 1971.

The first fifty pence pieces were dated 1968/9, as with the Coppers it wasn't legal tender until 1971, so probably would have only been included in the later sets.

The 50 pences were introduced and dated in 1969, to replace the ten bob note which was withdrawn the same year. A much smaller mintage was done in 1970, and harder to come by in BU. There WAS a 1971 issue, but proof only, in the sets.

The 50p first went into circulation in 1969.

Although if I'm honest Chingford I do not know if they were first made in 1968 or in 1969. I always thought that it was 1969.

There is an interesting story

here concerning the introduction of the 50p.

In particular I liked the part about the 'Anti-Heptagonists' lol

"Although a 50p coin will cost more to produce initially, it should have a life of at least 50 years" Make that "less than 30 years"!!

"Although a 50p coin will cost more to produce initially, it should have a life of at least 50 years" Make that "less than 30 years"!!

I wonder how much metal was recovered

and how much, if any, was used in the making if it's newer smaller 'Little Brother?' lol

Seriously though, next year will see the 40th Anniversary of Decimalization in the UK.

It strikes me that if you were to show the average person these days who have no knowledge of L/S/d system Pre Decimal coins, that they would be as baffled as the people who lived in the late 60's and early 70's were when they first saw the new Decimal coins.

Seriously though, next year will see the 40th Anniversary of Decimalization in the UK.

Wow! Is it really that long ago. I was in Oxford then, and I remember deliberately getting the bus the bus to work (it was only 3 stops and I usually walked) so that I could get some of the new coins in my change. I also seem to recall that Lsd disappeared incredibly quickly

It strikes me that if you were to show the average person these days who have no knowledge of L/S/d system Pre Decimal coins, that they would be as baffled as the people who lived in the late 60's and early 70's were when they first saw the new Decimal coins.

I find youngsters gobsmacked at just how large pennies and halfcrowns were

give em a carwheel twopence then see how gobsmacked they will be

I miss the 10 shilling note and the £1 note...I've even starting collecting them...but when you get into replacement notes it gets serious.I was given an unopened wage envelope from the 1930/40's and it contained peppiate 10/- and £1 both worth a bit...especially the 10/-...

When I first went to the pub a pint was 22p and we all drank light and bitter because the bitter was awfull and if you were nice to the barmaid you often got a pint +.