British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
wybrit

Beware of these ebay sales pitches

I can't even see any George III coins! :lol:

I hate it when they type the III in with 111 (just seeing one hundred and eleven, makes me want to throw a Churcher at them).

It makes them look so bloody thick when they cant work out that a capital I :lol: looks like a roman numeral 1!

I can't even see any George III coins! :lol:

Jon...you likely cannot see the George III coins because...

"SOME OF THE COINS ARE NOT IN THE PICS, THE CAMERA LET ME DOWN, THERE IS OVER 30. IV DONE MY BEST TO GIVE YOU A DISCRIPTION OF THE COINS, BUT IM NOT AN EXPERT, SO PLEASE LOOK AT THE PICS AND JUDGE FOR YOURSELVES."

Sorry....I only gazed at the description.

Look at this, another victim of the "rare" QE2 portrait with a necklace

Victim

I've got one of those, do you think he'd buy it off of me for a remarkable bargin of $100? ;)

You could try, he might well do. But you would be being very dishonest! :(:D

Well you see i think he's scamming and he knows it's not worth that much, he'd refuse to buy my £2 coin anyhow... he ain't the mug, but he's hoping one will bid.

Sorry....I only gazed at the description.

Look at this, another victim of the "rare" QE2 portrait with a necklace

Victim

I've had a mini flurry of £2 with queen wearing necklace questions lately. I wonder why that rumour seems 'tougher' than the '83 2p rumour.

Numismatic ignorance can be forgiven in those who know no better, but the inability to write one's own language correctly cannot :angry:

Whenever I'm reading anything, from ebay listings to emails and websites, I will 9 times out of 10 click on the right cross if it's ENTIRELY IN CAPITALS, all in lower case, or has no puctuation anywhere or is just awful in some other respect. I just can't read it, it makes me ill.

From experience I nearly always find that those guilty of very bad written English either have nothing worth saying that I want to read, or nothing for sale that I want to buy.

I mean how can people honestly think they will get the best price (or any price!) if they write a few un punctuated lines about how they basically KNOW NOTHING whatsoever about what they are selling? Don't people try to learn a little first about what they are selling, and then try to express that accurately in a presentable manner? If someone has no time to write beautiful things about whatever they are selling, then I don't want to buy it from them. They will probably be just as careless in the actual selling process as they were in the listing!

It also makes me laugh when you see cars advertised with the listing text copied off the cars newspaper ad....The seller (nearly always with 0 or low feedback) always states in the listing what the reserve is :huh: or puts '£2000 or near offer' at the bottom, even though it starts at £1 or something!

If the public really are as stupid and ignorant (without even the desire to learn even basic things) then we all need saving from these people somehow. Is there some way we can stop these people reproducing, and introduce a little bloody common sense, pride and just very very basic intelligence into the gene pool?

• Like 1

If the public really are as stupid and ignorant (without even the desire to learn even basic things) then we all need saving from these people somehow. Is there some way we can stop these people reproducing, and introduce a little bloody common sense, pride and just very very basic intelligence into the gene pool?

There's also the concern that these people are allowed to vote

Whilst I'm very much in favour of democracy, I'm not so sure about universal suffrage :)

There's also the concern that these people are allowed to vote

Whilst I'm very much in favour of democracy, I'm not so sure about universal suffrage :)

Yes, I forgot these people can also vote!!

I propose that people are made to take a very basic test before they do anything that could possibly effect the livelyhood of their fellow citizens in any way, at that moment, or in the future.

I would initially propose a simple test to give people the rights to:

Vote

Have Children

Any person that had failed the simple test and then gone on to either vote or have children should get a warning in the first instance. A fine or prison sentence in the second instance, and castration if they offend again.

Anyone who has a child or votes, without first taking the test would of course be able to take the test to prove that they are of the minimum intelligence. If they fail the test after 3 attempts they should be electronically tagged to prevent them getting too close to polling stations or the oposite sex.

But no, that will nevr happen, no political party would support that because surely it isn't Politically correct, violates human rights, and most importantly, those people are the easiest people to get votes from! Everyone should have the right to have children and vote, but sometimes I wonder if those basic civil liberties were invented in pre moron times, and maybe they need updating.

Don't the people with minimum intelligence have the right to live their lives without hindrence or let? Are the morons of the world not infringing our human rights?

... most importantly, those people are the easiest people to get votes from!

Really? I thought the reason why we've had to suffer the fiasco of postal voting is that these are the people who can't be bothered to get off their backsides to walk to a polling station because daytime TV is showing a riveting programme on Victoria Beckham's wallpaper?

I constantly wonder if universal suffrage is a good idea after all, then I come back to the words of Winston Churchill, who said that democracy is a very bad system but better than all the alternatives.

I had this question at a debate "This House would lower the voting age to 14". The proposition said they would implement a test but they didn't specify what kind. Bear in mind that some people excel in different areas besides just academic work, like music and art. Would the test be along the lines of an IQ test, or a general knowledge test or a psychometric test? It is very hard to pin these things down. And Chris, your idea sounds like eugenics! Not that I don't agree with eugenics, I do, it's just that many would find it nauseating!

Not that I don't agree with eugenics, I do, it's just that many would find it nauseating!

I for one.

It always brings me back to a school report. Yes one physics teacher (or was it a maths teacher?) once said of one of his pupils that he would not amount to anything... his level of intelligence was so poor that he'd fail to achieve anything in life.

That pupil was Albert Einstein, and yes he really did totally screw up his elementary school education, he could not learn within the system. Now how can a man start his life of doomed for failure and yet figure out one of the key formulas in physics? E=MC2 (yes that shouldbe squared)

I know quite a few people that cannot read or write, but they are no less a person, some of which have done more good for their fellow man than has an highly educated person who currently resides in Downing Street and calls himself Prime Minister.

It's more to do with upbringing than education (education does help), but bad grammar doesn't mean a person shouldn't vote. Some people find it easier to communicate in words than in writing, i'm not much good at either. :rolleyes:

Yes, yes, all that's very clear, don't go all hippy on me!

Any test should not be a test on spelling, grammar and all that school tosh.

Any test should be a test of common sense, and most importantly a test to indicate if the person being tested has the ability to learn, even if it is on a very small scale, anyone with the ability (and desire) to learn anything should be allowed to have children and vote!

I know Einstein was basically a complete looney. I knew someone at school who was dyslexsic (or however you spell it!). Every night he would lay in bed pondering his life, and wondering if there really was a dog. (sorry, had to get that in somewhere!)

Kevin North' handwriting looked like a kind of Chinese and by the time he'd read a sentance out loud, you'd finished the page in your head. But he certainly wasn't stupid, his communication with his fellow pupils was spot on, he had a sharp wit, and you really wouldn't think he had a 'learning difficulty' to speak to him.

Kevin North had bought himself a house when I was still living with a parent, and about 3 years after leaving school he was probably earning more than the Head Mistress! Kevin would pass any test on the ability to learn and the posession of common sense.

It's buggar all to do with upbringing or education. At the root level it's genetics, but at the human level it is just that some people are more predisposed to having a lack of desire to learn, a lack of capacity and without generalising too much, those are the kinds of people that WRITE EVERYTHING IN CAPITALS WITH NO PUNCTUATION IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. Those people, and I don't care what colour they are, I don't care if they are rich or poor, (statistics seem to reveal a lot of them are poorer) they can be found in most walks of life...Those people, are the bain of my life.

(Of course, if you are reading this and WRITE EVERYTHING in capitals or live on fast food, wear a shell suit, shop at Lidl (UK only), or have lived on unemployment benefit for more time than you really should, then you are not one 'of them' because you are already demonstrating the want to learn be looking at this website!)

(Of course, if you are reading this and WRITE EVERYTHING in capitals or live on fast food, wear a shell suit, shop at Lidl (UK only), or have lived on unemployment benefit for more time than you really should, then you are not one 'of them' because you are already demonstrating the want to learn be looking at this website!)

Chis...for those of us who do not reside in the UK -- what is a shell suit and what kind of establishment is Lidl?

This sounds like my entire family here... and most of my mates too! Ha the joy of Lidl, awful chocolate though, terrible, but cheap.

Chis...for those of us who do not reside in the UK -- what is a shell suit and what kind of establishment is Lidl?

Lidl is a German supermarket chain, and in Germany it's just like many Supermarket chains. In the UK it's about the cheapest supermarket chain and in my experience in can be frequented by the people that find Victoria Beckhams wallpaper interesting. I have to admit I used to live very close to a Lidl and I shopped there once or twice. On each instance I ended up with a very bad stomach and I really haven't been the same since.

A shell suit is an awful polythene tracksuit kind of thing....Very flamable, and in my experience used to be worn by the aformentioned people (not so much anymore, it was really a 90's thing)