British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
wybrit

Beware of these ebay sales pitches

Hello all. I just wanted to reintroduce myself after riding in on aethelred's coat tails. I have been collecting British coins pretty much exclusively for longer than I want to admit. Once there was a gold mine of high quality UK coinage to be had here in the US, but there's been a British invasion consisting of chaps like Chris ;) who have been buying up the stuff faster than a tiger with his tail on fire. It seems the weak dollar has made the coins rather affordable.

I thought I would share with you one of my favorite posts from CU. Some of you have seen it all before. It's slightly modified to make it more understandable to those of you who aren't Yanks. I'd love some of your own translations as well. :)

I'm certainly not saying that all sellers are unscrupulous (they're not), but here are some common terms that should get the hair up on the back of your neck. These are mostly applicable to what I see when browsing the UK coin listings.

What it says: RARE COIN...

What it means: I rarely sell this stuff.

Good VF...

Barely VF.

The first one I've seen...

Because I haven't paid one jot of attention to these coins before.

++SUPER++!!! ++GREAT++!!!

POS.

GEM!!

I don't see the wear on the coin that everyone else sees.

The best one I've seen...

I've seen maybe two of these - this one is the best.

Blazing full lustre...

The coin was whizzed/cleaned so that it has a wonderful shine to it.

The scanner doesn't do it justice...

No it doesn't - the coin is worse than the scan suggests.

Better than the scan...

Other way 'round.

An insignificant scratch...

Right across the cheek of the obverse.

Brilliant UNC...

A bronze coin with a trace of red found around the periphery.

Mirrored fields...

I held the coin up to a mirror and saw its reflection.

I have 30 years of experience doing this...

I've shafted people for 30 years.

Lightly cleaned...

Lightly brushed.

Sorry, no returns...

People were unhappy with how I graded, so I changed my return policy in order to reduce customer complaints.

email me for a better scan...

I'm hoping you won't notice the rim ding and will be too busy to email me. I'll sure be too busy to email you back!

I'm not an expert grader, but the holder says "UNC..."

I'm hoping you're not an expert grader either.

GEORGIVS V DEI GRA : BRITT : OMN : REX FID : DEF : IND : IMP...

I don't have a bloomin' clue what this coin is.

Shipping is £5.00...

I'll wrap the coin in Izal Medicated Toilet Tissue, put it in a WH Smith envelope and put a 50p stamp on it.

Any white spots on the scan are from the scanner and are not on the coin...

They're on the coin now!

You grade it...

Your hard luck if you get it wrong.

...except for one mark, it's a GEM!!...

The mark is half the size of the coin.

Check my feedback...

I promise a retaliatory negative to anyone who says I cheated them - even if they are 100% correct.

You will not see a better example...

Until after you buy this coin that's for sale!!

Found in my Grandfather's desk drawer...

The old man was asleep while I ransacked his room.

(Courtesy of other forum members)

I'm told that...

...by my imaginary mate.

From Estate...

Jelly jar full of culls.

WOW!!! L@@K!!!...

The coin is naff.

I know absolutely nothing about coins...

All the dealers I showed this coin to said it was a fake.

'Brilliant Condition for its age'

badly worn, but one can still see the lettering

The funny thing is that it's virtually all true (well at least about people who have not got the first clue about the selling of coins)! :lol:

It's not a British coin, but I thought some of you might find this of interest in view of wybrit's recent post....

Ebay listing

I always want to throw up when people (nearly always Americans) put 'God Bless' at the end of listings, email, websites etc.

So creepy.

It sounds to my like it is GF/VF to me because he says the date is 'readable' which usually cannotes fine/very fine.

Jon...there are quite a few counterfeit bust dollars for sale on ebay, many of which originated in the orient. This is likely one of them.

Jon...there are quite a few counterfeit bust dollars for sale on ebay, many of which originated in the orient. This is likely one of them.

No it can't be! His granddad was very picky....He'd turn in his grave if he heard you now :D;)

It could be a ploy to ensure ;) buyers that his coin is not fake when it in fact is fake! Elimentary dear Watson! :P

Extra Fine

1) bit better then fine condition.

2) 3/4 of the postage i will keep :D

An excerpt from an earlier auction from the same seller...

My relative stared the 1937-d and wrote "3 legs" I looked at it because I have heard of the coin before and It looks real,, I am not a coin expert Im just selling these coins how they are so I can not guarantee that it is real,, But I am assuming it is...

...and here the positive feedback he later received on it!

as described,said 1937d threelegged might not be real ,it was not .

An excerpt from an earlier auction from the same seller...

My relative stared the 1937-d and wrote "3 legs" I looked at it because I have heard of the coin before and It looks real,, I am not a coin expert Im just selling these coins how they are so I can not guarantee that it is real,, But I am assuming it is...

...and here the positive feedback he later received on it!

as described,said 1937d threelegged might not be real ,it was not .

:lol: some people are funny :)

I must admit i've used the "Scans don't do it justice" before because my scanner is crap and they scans didn't do it justice! JMD remarked on the exceedingly poor quality of a copper farthing I was selling so he can testify! :P

I have been known to claim that the scan doesn't do it justice too, because with some coins no scanner can do justice.

I finally got the digital camera chaps!

(To quote Prince Philip) Gadzooks! How long did that take? About three months? Are you happy with it?

Yes, it's very good, takes huge detailed pictures of coins. I'll post some pictures after I get this weekends Coin Fair out of the way. (and if I have any coins left at the end of it!)

Are you going to bring any mystery coins to the coin fair Chris?

Are you going to bring any mystery coins to the coin fair Chris?

I have plenty to take that I have resisted listing on the website, in the hopes that I will sell them and not need to. All British, nothing remarkable.

Apart from 2 High grade 1934 Crowns, but they are sold.

Are you going ot take your 2 high bespoke coins (Anne Half Crown and Will+Mary Half Crown) to the coin fair? The Anne Half Crown is very attractive.

other then coin dealing, what do you do for a living chris?

This is it!

Believe me Jmd what I do everyday in the 'coin industry'.... compiling the book, boxing up accessory orders or books, or coins, updating the websites, keeping check on you lot, answering emails, sending cheques, moving money around and many other tasks, I wouldn't have time to do anything else even if I wanted to!

I am a professional coin dealer, and that is all I do (if you include the book this with that, as it's related).

There are very few people that can say that is all they do, but I'm one of them.

HPJ: The Bespoke coins belong to someone else. He'll be there but I think he's buying, not selling.

This is it!

Believe me Jmd what I do everyday in the 'coin industry'.... compiling the book, boxing up accessory orders or books, or coins, updating the websites, keeping check on you lot, answering emails, sending cheques, moving money around and many other tasks, I wouldn't have time to do anything else even if I wanted to!

I am a professional coin dealer, and that is all I do (if you include the book this with that, as it's related).

There are very few people that can say that is all they do, but I'm one of them.

Well done chris :) hope you stay well in buisiness :)

Well fingers crossed, I seem to be doing ok so far. You have to keep moving in any business, and I have been doing that. Seems I have a new major profect every month (much to the delight of my girlfriend).

Early days yet, but I have invested a lot of time and money in this, and I certainly don't think I'm the worst coin dealer in the world.

(we seem to have strayed from the topic as usual!)

Returning to the subject of ebay, here's an intriguing "COLLECTION OF RARE ENGLISH COINS FROM GEORGE 111"...

George III