British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
bob.phillips

1823 Halfcrown

I have an 1823 halfcrown ( in VF condition ). On the obverse side, there is a colon after the D of D G but only a full stop after the G. i.e it appears as D:G. Is this normal for this coin, is it a known variety or is it ( as yet ) unknown??

Any info would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Bob P.

Hello Bob, your coin might have some wear where the other colon might be, something you might not be able to see due to wear. If you have a picture it generally helps others to evaluate your coin and question better

Judging from the picture there looks to be 2 dots, although 1 seems misplaced, the top one seems further to the right than the one at the bottom

The apparent misplaced top dot is not on the coin at all. It must have been a speck of dust or something on the camera lens.

Regards,

Bob P.

Attached photo. Not the best quality, but I still think it's a full stop after the G.

Duh Bob? They never used full-stops on the coins back then.

Attached photo. Not the best quality, but I still think it's a full stop after the G.

Thanks for the comment and I can only assume you are right and they did not use full stops. I am just a beginner in this but 'after the G' there is not a colon, as you can see from the picture. There is 1 dot. Maybe it's a forgery??? - or maybe it's a miss - strike. I'm just seeking help from the experts!!!

Regards,

Bob P.

Thanks for the comment and I can only assume you are right and they did not use full stops. I am just a beginner in this but 'after the G' there is not a colon, as you can see from the picture. There is 1 dot. Maybe it's a forgery??? - or maybe it's a miss - strike. I'm just seeking help from the experts!!!

Regards,

Bob P.

Actually, there is the faintest of impressions of the missing dot - it's level with the horizontal serif stroke of the lower upcurve to the G, which is where it should be. It's probably a filled die.

Thanks for response Peckris and I now see the faint dot. When you say a 'filled die', what does that mean? Is it unusual?

Regards,

Bob P.

Thanks for response Peckris and I now see the faint dot. When you say a 'filled die', what does that mean? Is it unusual?

Regards,

Bob P.

A filled die often means that dots don't get struck up, but are more noticeable when letters or numbers go wholly or partly missing. They tend to go in and out of fashion. For example, there was once a variety of 1961 halfcrown where the designer initials "EF" were missing on the reverse. It carried a modest premium in most price books. Then it fell out of favour, and you won't see it listed anywhere now, except perhaps in DAvies or (at a pinch) in ESC.

Filled dies are quite common from the machine age (1797) onwards, and there are quite a few in the 19th Century.

Regards,

Bob P.

A filled die often means that dots don't get struck up, but are more noticeable when letters or numbers go wholly or partly missing. They tend to go in and out of fashion. For example, there was once a variety of 1961 halfcrown where the designer initials "EF" were missing on the reverse. It carried a modest premium in most price books. Then it fell out of favour, and you won't see it listed anywhere now, except perhaps in DAvies or (at a pinch) in ESC.

Filled dies are quite common from the machine age (1797) onwards, and there are quite a few in the 19th Century.

Interesting about that 1961 halfcrown, I have one where both the EF and CT are missing, had it since I was a kid.

Regards,

Bob P.

Interesting about that 1961 halfcrown, I have one where both the EF and CT are missing, had it since I was a kid.

Definitely worth hanging onto! Who knows, it may come back into fashion? I also have several Elizabeth II cupro nickel coins that would be classed as "polished blank" (like the 1961 halfcrowns) but which aren't recorded.