British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Could be a conversation starter.

post-4257-069778600 1287006368_thumb.jpg

It could be genuine (it's hard to tell from a low-res enlargement). But my instincts tell me it might also be a casting, i.e. a forgery. There's a number of them about, it's a date you have to be very careful with.

Is it yours? If so, the precise weight would be useful. Also, what kind of sound does it make if you drop it (gently!) on a wooden surface?

If it was genuine, it's in a nice GVF condition, which would place its value somewhere around £1500.

Edited by Peckris

Looks cast to me, not even a bit of shimmer on it. A join on the rim would tell also. It has a look of iron

Edited by azda

+ 1

+ 1

It's the colour that would worry me. I had a fake very similar to that in colour although in a lesser grade. Apparently they rub them down on a piece of leather to reduce the grade

It looks quite strange how the rim has a silver look yet the coin itself the look of iron. It would worry me enough not to touch it with a barge pole

It looks quite strange how the rim has a silver look yet the coin itself the look of iron. It would worry me enough not to touch it with a barge pole

I know I keep banging on about it but it's also got the broken R in George.

This is Edward lol

This is Edward lol

Luckily there is an R in Edward as well :D

Counterfeit. OK, I will try to post some halfcrown pics this weekend at great hazard (uggh, drag me kicking and screaming into the 21st century).

This is Edward lol

What an entertaining gap filler...

It is actually quite attractive in hand esp the reverse and is very similar in color to one of my 1906's although Eddy looks a little haggard on the gap filler.

Coincraft notes that these pieces often look ghostly or concave esp obverse and I think there is some reference in there about being made in Lebanon in the 60's.

It weighs 14.1 gram.

Going back to the 06, the rim is about 2mm wider on the currency issue.

It doesn't ring true when gently dropped and I think there is a seam just inside the collar.

I've had it 10 years and it still fascinates me.

How do these people get their hands on dies?

This is Edward lol

It is actually quite attractive in hand esp the reverse and is very similar in color to one of my 1906's although Eddy looks a little haggard on the gap filler.

Coincraft notes that these pieces often look ghostly or concave esp obverse and I think there is some reference in there about being made in Lebanon in the 60's.

It weighs 14.1 gram.

It doesn't ring true when gently dropped and I think there is a seam just inside the collar.

I think they make them from a genuine coin.

This is Edward lol

It weighs 14.1 gram.

I think they make them from a genuine coin.

They use a genuine coin to produce a mould then produce a casting from it

Definitely looks fake to me. I wouldn't go anywhere near it.

Definitely looks fake to me. I wouldn't go anywhere near it.

The more I look at it, the worse it seems. The biggest clincher is the gap between the field and the rim. Can't believe I didn't spot that right off.

Peck,

If you are talking about the distance between the lettering and the rim...it looks ok to me. I have two of the 1905's, and they both look like that! Obviously the gray coloring is an issue though.

I once found a website dealing with fakes and there was a discription of all the pointer to distinguish the fake 1905. I lost the link when my hard drive packed up and have since been unable to find the info. Just a note about my 1905 EF gap filler, it's starting to take on that grey toning. I guess it's to do with whatever is in the mix with the 90% silver.

I once found a website dealing with fakes and there was a discription of all the pointer to distinguish the fake 1905. I lost the link when my hard drive packed up and have since been unable to find the info. Just a note about my 1905 EF gap filler, it's starting to take on that grey toning. I guess it's to do with whatever is in the mix with the 90% silver.

Gary, i started a thread in free for all called USEFUL LINKS. The 1st site i uploaded is about fakes, i don't know if its the one you are reffering to, but take a look.

Gary, i started a thread in free for all called USEFUL LINKS. The 1st site i uploaded is about fakes, i don't know if its the one you are reffering to, but take a look.

Yes that's the one. I had tried to search the site on various occassions with no luck. Here is the info but it lacks any descrition.

post-462-027992900 1287333284_thumb.jpg

Peck,

If you are talking about the distance between the lettering and the rim...it looks ok to me. I have two of the 1905's, and they both look like that! Obviously the gray coloring is an issue though.

No, I meant the tiny thin trench left by the rim appearing to come adrift from the coin. You can see it on the reverse, from the word DEF round to the word CROWN.

Peck,

You may have found something with that! Neither of my coins has that trench marking.

Peck,

You may have found something with that! Neither of my coins has that trench marking.

My fake doesn't have it either. Here's my 1903 along side may fake 1905. Not a good picture of the 1905, it's not shiny in the hand.

1903-1905.jpg

It's hard to believe that your 1905 is a fake...it's a good one! LOL!

Peck,

My fake doesn't have it either. Here's my 1903 along side may fake 1905. Not a good picture of the 1905, it's not shiny in the hand.

1903-1905.jpg

Ahh the broken R In George :lol: Although, the R in REX on the 1905 looks a lot more curved at the bottom than the 1903 does, dunno if this is a pointer towards a fake or not?

Edited by azda