British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Guest Caroline

British Commemorative Coins - Worth Or Worthless?

Guest Caroline

Hello!

I hope this is a truly beginners section as I am more novice than the novicest!

By accident or good fortune (depending on the answer to this thread) I've received several used £2 and 50p commemorative coins. I really like them to look at so will hang on to them anyway but also wondered whether it could be worth starting a collection. Do people ever just collect commemorative coins? Is there much market for them? From a scant reading of sites it looked like coins are only collected if in mint condition - is there a market for used coins? It seems like a nice, relatively easy, not too extortionate thing to collect - and I guess if it all goes wrong there's an inherent value to fall back on at some point!

Thank you

Caroline

Dear Caroline,

Sounds like a perfectly sensible thing to me! You're right, they are unlikely to be worth more than face value in the short term unless in mint condition but It'll certainly be fun rooting through your change for the odd NHS 50p, or DNA 2 pound coin!

People do collect them. The member Shezz is trying to amass one of each different 50p from GB, Channel islands, Isle of man...well read his post.

There is a market for them in mint condition which should mean you can pick up Extremely fine, not quite mint examples for face value or a tad more. Ask family and friends too, I'm sure they'll save 'em if they knew.

It would be cheap to do and the coins will still be spendable if you don't have any change to pay the window cleaner and have a double! Watch out for the Euro though. If we go Euro during your lifetime you may have to choose between paying them in or keeping them forever.

Chris

www.predecimal.com

Keeping them like i did with all those George VI Florins in 1993!

You ask whether they'd be worth anything in the lower grades, well possibly not due to the fact that modern mintage figures are so high and there are alot of uncirculated and proof years sets out there.

Here is something to get you thinking though, coins such as the dreaded Churchill Crown (which is one of the few coins that actually looks much better as the condition gets worse!) could actually be pretty rare in bottom condition as the majority of them would be in average condition and upwards as they were not intended for circulation. I doubt very much whether anyone would pay extra money for a lower graded specimen but i bet it would make an original approach to collecting, e.g attempting to get a full set of crowns from 1951-1981 (the cupronickel ones) in the worst possible conditions would be a real challenge!

Sylvester.

With a little bit of wet 'n' dry perhaps I can create a market for worn Churchill crowns !

(Don't try that at home kids!)

Chris

Guest Caroline

Thanks very much for the replies! Looks like I've landed in an interesting area, accidentally or otherwise. And since a few more coins have come my way since I e-mailed I'm definitely hanging on to them.

Thanks again

Caroline

Then I imagine you'll be wanting secure, safe storage to keep them on display in ;)

http://www.predecimal.com/collectors/main.htm

And of course a book that shows all the types to collect and gives values:

http://www.predecimal.com/books/ccgb2004framed.htm

Thanks for taking the time to use this forum.

Chris

www.predecimal.com

Guest DavidT

I have a dutch commerative coronation coin 8th sep 1831william iv & adelaide unfortunately with a hole drilled into it, also a 19 july 1821 george the iv & 28th june 1838 queen vic coronation medal/coin are these classed as currency, what is there value approx if any. I have 3 churchill still shiny 5 shillings re your previous post if they have a price.

William IV and Queen Adelaide were British! Not Dutch. If they are the official medals they may have a small worth up to GBP30.00 depending on condition. The one with the hole won't be collectable.

I have 500 Churchill crowns and sell 1 every yer if I'm lucky for a pound!

Chris

www.predecimal.com

I cut out the disappointment and just bin them...

The Churchills you mean?

I bought them off a Retired WWII Mosquito pilot, I know I shouldn't but he was such a nice old soldier.

Chris

www.predecimal.com

Yes the Churchill Crowns!

Ah guilt tripped into buying them? ;)

Sylvester.