British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

freewheels

Is this news? 1841 penny variety?

1841 penny with first R of Britannia clearly overstruck with a B.post-4257-000900200 1286597932_thumb.jpg

Here is obverse not too exciting:

post-4257-009678700 1286598014_thumb.jpg

Dunno. I have yet to find a copy of Peck in my wanderings - I will one day, but no joy yet.

I pumped his name into google just now and guess who's website was the number 1 result ?

http://www.argentumandcoins.co.uk/english-copper-tin-and-bronze-coins-in-the-british-museum-c-w-peck-1401-p.asp

Must be doing something right...

I didn't say I didn't bother with waffle on my site listings :D

Dunno. I have yet to find a copy of Peck in my wanderings - I will one day, but no joy yet.

I pumped his name into google just now and guess who's website was the number 1 result ?

http://www.argentumandcoins.co.uk/english-copper-tin-and-bronze-coins-in-the-british-museum-c-w-peck-1401-p.asp

Peck has nothing to say about it. He rarely bothers with overpunched letters, just the occasional overstruck date.

I must get myself a Peck as soon as I can afford one. There are just two available on Amazon, both later editions than the original offered by argentum, and both more expensive.

I must get myself a Peck as soon as I can afford one. There are just two available on Amazon, both later editions than the original offered by argentum, and both more expensive.

There's one in a little corner bookshop. The shopkeeper has no idea what it is and has marked it up for a fiver, although secretly he'd accept £3 for it.

When I find it, I'll offer him £4....

I've managed Dalton & Hamer and Freeman, but so far Peck has eluded me, the rascal.....

There's one in a little corner bookshop. The shopkeeper has no idea what it is and has marked it up for a fiver, although secretly he'd accept £3 for it.

I've managed Dalton & Hamer and Freeman, but so far Peck has eluded me, the rascal.....

As a schoolboy I ordered a copy of Peck from the local bookshop for the princely sum of £5/17/9 - but I got cold feet, cancelled, and spent the money on rock albums instead.

Roll on 30 years, one is in an auction at Taunton. Costs me around £95 to buy. Funnily enough, that £95 didn't make me wince as much as the £5/17/9 made my younger self wince. :lol:

Yeah, a decent numismatic library is as much an investment as the coins themselves.

Provided Spink don't embark on a re-printing spree......

Yeah, a decent numismatic library is as much an investment as the coins themselves.

Provided Spink don't embark on a re-printing spree......

A decent library will always pay dividends. You can never have too many books.

As a schoolboy I ordered a copy of Peck from the local bookshop for the princely sum of £5/17/9 - but I got cold feet, cancelled, and spent the money on rock albums instead.

Roll on 30 years, one is in an auction at Taunton. Costs me around £95 to buy. Funnily enough, that £95 didn't make me wince as much as the £5/17/9 made my younger self wince. :lol:

I'm very impressed that you remember it was precisely £5/17/9d. Can you tell me what albums you sacrificed it for and how much they cost?

I'm very impressed that you remember it was precisely £5/17/9d. Can you tell me what albums you sacrificed it for and how much they cost?

I remember that one of them (which I still own) was the mono first pressing of Cream's Disraeli Gears. Not only a brilliant classic album, but in itself now worth somewhere around £60 - £70 ! Swings and roundabouts, hey...

P.S. I seem to remember that albums back then cost 32/6 - one down in memory, two to go :D

Edited by Peckris

I remember that one of them (which I still own) was the mono first pressing of Cream's Disraeli Gears. Not only a brilliant classic album, but in itself now worth somewhere around £60 - £70 ! Swings and roundabouts, hey...

P.S. I seem to remember that albums back then cost 32/6 - one down in memory, two to go :D

32/6? You extravagant youngster. 19/11 in my day!!!

PS: I've still got Disraeli Gears, but I think mine is the stereo version.

My wife knew I was looking for a copy of Peck so she phoned Colin Cooke who put her onto Spink.

They had 2 copies so she ordered the cheapest but then changed her mind and got the better one.

I got home from work and she presented me with this bulky parcel.....This is one of the many reasons why she is still ;the current Mrs Peter. :D

It would be nice for it to be updated....I know Colin was working on a farthing encyclopedia....It would however send the copper bronze market into orbit(the 1d market already is)

When I look at aboutfarthings website I realise my farthing collection will never be complete. :unsure::unsure:

Well played, Mrs Peter.

ahh yes, i want my farthings prices to go into the strasophere :P i think it is a great idea, and i possibly have one thats an unlisted type, i emailed about, which is a possible but not certain >.<, if farthings were to get an encyclopendia, where would this put the undevalued 1858 small date and other scarcitys.

there is always halfpennys of course.

32/6? You extravagant youngster. 19/11 in my day!!!

PS: I've still got Disraeli Gears, but I think mine is the stereo version.

If it's the first pressing it's still a respectable £40 or £50 in Mint condition.