British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

chris

1697 shilling with possible E/H in HIB

hi everyone

just added this shilling to my collection, as usual taking a photo and on looking at the reverse of the coin it has the usual inscription BR.FRA then ET.HIB but the H has some extra pieces that resemble an E

i have added a photo of the bottom half

ive had a little look but am unable to find any information

is it just another broken die?

any comments appreciated

thanks

post-4691-011557400 1286542406_thumb.jpg

Hello Chris,

It looks like an H over E to me but I would like to have hands on to confirm it. William III coinage is littered with errors, a lot of which aren't recorded in book form yet. I just bought a 1697 halfcrown last week with the inverted A in DECUS edge error that Rayner didn't see (Colin Adams had it in his collection though).

I couldn't find any references online to that error but Rob may know of it?

Try listing in the unconfirmed varieties heading where it may elicit more response.

John.

If you cpmpare the E in ET it looks like the H in HIB is the same albeit with a leg added, perhaps after they spotted the error? If you or anyone has another to compare the the Es and Hs of the same denomination? If you eliminate the leg of the H, then it certainly looks like the 1st E in ET

Edited by azda

It isn't unknown for letters to made from the punches of other letters with additions. A good example is the V being used for the A with the crossbar being added later. When the crossbar is forgotten a variety is created. As has been noted previously, William III is notorious for the number of misprunts (sic) and other errors.

misprunts (sic).

:lol: LUL