British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Here's one for you to deliberate over.

Purchased last week in a bulk lot. Weighs slightly light at 13gms, but not a major alarm bell due to the wear.

Sitting snugly in a newly formed space in the collection now, although I may send it for expert examination just out of interest.

post-4546-095349800 1285185165_thumb.jpg

looks alright to me, wear seems about right as my 1882 is similar.

but i cant find anything on that date existing

That's what the members can deliberate over Scott.

There are a few theories re this date and others between the years 1850 and 1874. Rayner thought it was a forger operating in the 1890's. Others think it was possibly mint employees tinkering with old dies after the 1887 issues. Some think they are genuine mint productions.

A very nice find among a £300 lot though!

There are a few theories re this date and others between the years 1850 and 1874. Rayner thought it was a forger operating in the 1890's. Others think it was possibly mint employees tinkering with old dies after the 1887 issues. Some think they are genuine mint productions.

Genuine Mint product or not, its still a pretty good price. Rendel Ingram seems to have cornered the market for these mystery 1860s halfcrown coins with a number of them at between £400 and £900, so not a bad deal.

The best theory is the 'late forgery' one. The theory they were supplying the halfcrown market during the 'interregnum' falls down on two counts :

1. not enough specimens show up (though if the Mint were fastidious about chasing them that might account for that)

2. the types are always the post-1874 shallow portrait types

Interesting though. But not £400-£900 interesting. I might go close to a ton but no more.

Genuine Mint product or not, its still a pretty good price. Rendel Ingram seems to have cornered the market for these mystery 1860s halfcrown coins with a number of them at between £400 and £900, so not a bad deal.

This is quite interesting. I picked up one of these about 4 years ago. Believe it or not I was approached by a guy in the local who said he had a few old coins from his mum after she died. The usual crap such as an Ed. VII florin in fine and a couple of later Victorian sixpences etc and then an 1861 2/6d. Not what I was expecting. Mr Ingram bought it after I listed it on the website and as you note, doubled the price or more. Pic below for comparison. The interesting thing is that they always appear in this condition with most detail missing but the date clear. I would suggest that they are effectively practically as made. The weight of my piece was 12.87g.

post-381-063186200 1285197030_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob

For what it is worth, I have noticed basically what Rob has stated - I have not seen these pieces in any state of preservation beyond fair and dates do appear a bit sharp in comparison to the other legend. For some reason, I have seen more of the 1861s and have been tempted to get one even though they "smell" counterfeit, or at least not what I would consider a contemporary piece of any relation to the Royal Mint (ie dies and/or planchets).

300 pounds max would be a price on these to me, certainly not 900. Interesting bit there.