British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Bernie

1928 inverted axis penny

I believe that this penny is unlisted?? :rolleyes:

Would it be classed as a misstrike rather than a deliberate variety, Bernie? Though it has to be said, an accidental rotation of exactly 180º does make you stop and think.

Would it be classed as a misstrike rather than a deliberate variety, Bernie? Though it has to be said, an accidental rotation of exactly 180º does make you stop and think.

That is a puzzler of a question !!! I don't know if it was possible to place a die the wrong way round in the press. Looking at the overall question of varieties, many blundered coins are considered a different variety, such as mules, overdates. :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

That is a puzzler of a question !!! I don't know if it was possible to place a die the wrong way round in the press. Looking at the overall question of varieties, many blundered coins are considered a different variety, such as mules, overdates. :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Hm, I'm not sure I agree about mules and overdates. The former is a genuine strike using dies that were deliberately (1926ME) or unintentionally (undated 20p) used together. The latter is a deliberate change to the date, even if the puncher got it wrong. However, grease or other material getting into the die, or a brockage, or something of that sort, is a totally random accident beyond the agency of a human being. That's how I would differentiate them anyway. The 'total random accident' coins just don't interest me at all as they are generally unique and therefore not worth chasing.

That leaves your 1928 penny, which as you say is a genuine mystery, how the dies managed to rotate through 180º.

On 9/11/2010 at 5:18 PM, Bernie said:

post-5652-062739600 1284221904_thumb.jpg

Perhaps a few around as i got one a couple of weeks ago .

On 25 July 2017 at 11:17 AM, PWA 1967 said:

Perhaps a few around as i got one a couple of weeks ago .

I can't believe I didn't spot this April Fool back in 2010! It's all Bernie's fault for posting it in September... :lol: 

What you on about Peck :D

When i bought it Richard told me he had one and also the Workman one then mine.

Think thats three ;) so cant see any reason why there is not anymore.

Just now, PWA 1967 said:

Because the obverse edge dink at 7 o'clock shows on the reverse at 11 o'clock, as it would if you rotated the coin through its vertical axis!

13 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

FullSizeRender1.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

1928 must have been a bad year, I have one rotated by 330 degrees. Does that make it rarer than 180 degrees.

On 15 August 2017 at 3:35 PM, Gary D said:

1928 must have been a bad year, I have one rotated by 330 degrees. Does that make it rarer than 180 degrees.

:lol: