British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

numishoro

1822 FARTHING.UNRECORDED ERROR

I have this 1822 farthing in E/F.It has a prominent error but is not unrecorded in any of the 3 coin books I have.In the Spinks 2010 it gives a value of £55.00 However, as this is an error coin and they usually command a higher value, especially if they're scarce, I don't know what value to put on this coin.Any help would be appreciated.20100909102956.jpgAs can be seen from the photo, the error is that the I of "FID" is reading as a "T".

Edited by numishoro

That feature won't make any difference to the price as there are more examples with missing serifs in this issue than perfect specimens. 1822 is a common date and the coin is fine at best, so the value will be no more than a couple pounds. Here is an example from my website with the same faulty I as your coin in EF grade on the reverse, (the obverse is better than EF). There is minimal friction to the peak of the helmet, Britannia's breast and the drapery. As you will see, your coin has considerably more wear. Sorry to disappoint.

Edited by Rob

Wow! And I thought mine was good.Do you have an album of your coins that I can view on line??

It's my website - RP Coins

As can be seen from the photo, the error is that the I of "FID" is reading as a "T".

Not so. It's clearly an "I". It's missing its bottom serif, that's all. Quite a common occurrence on coins prior to the 1880s.

Is over stamping a norm for this year too. I have one, on the reverse both I's in BRITANNIAR are printed over something else as is the F in DEF. Will try and get a good scan.

Here is a close up section of the coin.

post-8845-0-39187200-1439666984_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Here is the full reverse. Sorry about the quality of the scan. Its also housed in a carboard coin holder.

post-8845-0-03412400-1439667243_thumb.jp

I also just noticed that there is also something under the R of Rex. Here is the obv.

post-8845-0-69729400-1439668345_thumb.jp

Not great with Farthings but picked up an 1822 the other day and spotted that the date seemed unusual. Someone will probably now tell me that this repair is well known!! 

1822 Date Close Up_cropped_sized.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alfnail said:

Not great with Farthings but picked up an 1822 the other day and spotted that the date seemed unusual. Someone will probably now tell me that this repair is well known!! 

Interesting. The top of the 8 looks like severe damage, but the bottom looks strangely even with rounded bases, as if it's meant to be like that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alfnail said:

I assume its the same as on the CGS website described as 8 Broken top and bottom ,although they have other date varieties for 1822 Farthings ,so must of been repaired numerous times.

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 2

Thanks Pete, I don't have access to the CGS website pictures, but did check the aboutfarthings website and it wasn't mentioned on there.