British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
davidrj

1875 penny F80

This 1875 penny (F80) arrived today (Ebay purchase)

1875Bd.jpg

Raised dot below 1st I in Victoria, this looks identical to the one illustrated in Michael Gouby's new book on an F82 penny (his BP 1875 Cd)

Very odd the same obverse flaw should occur with two different reverses!

There is a suggestion of the same flaw mirrored (next to the ship) on the reverse with a die crack

:unsure:

David

David, can you tell me how you stitch the pictures together?

David, can you tell me how you stitch the pictures together?

I scan coins at 2400 dpi with a dark background, bronze comes out far too dark against the default white background of my scanner

I use Photoscape to do the circular cropping, this is a freebie photoscape download

Once I have images, cropped against a black back ground I use Photoshop to stich them together.

Make a large black blank image, then paste the individual scanned images, flatten layers, then crop to shape

One of those jobs thats very time consuming whilst on the learning curve, but I can now do the complete proces in about 25 minutes

Hope this helps

David

David

Not sure I follow your logic here, David?

David

The accepted wisdom on all the "dot" coins is a transient fault caused by a bit of grit in the works.

Here we have the same dot on an obverse with two completely different reverse dies

Do we resurrect old theories re die identication marks??

I'm off on holiday next week, but when I get back I'll send high res scans to Michael for his comments, this is a very puzzling coin

:)

David

David

The accepted wisdom on all the "dot" coins is a transient fault caused by a bit of grit in the works.

Here we have the same dot on an obverse with two completely different reverse dies

I'm off on holiday next week, but when I get back I'll send high res scans to Michael for his comments, this is a very puzzling coin

David

Interesting. The dot looks far too regular to be caused by grit. It's the same roundness as the 1897 'dot' which is supposed to be non-accidental. But whatever the cause, it has got onto the die and thus appears on more than one specimen.

David

David

Interesting. The dot looks far too regular to be caused by grit. It's the same roundness as the 1897 'dot' which is supposed to be non-accidental. But whatever the cause, it has got onto the die and thus appears on more than one specimen.

Does anyone know if the wide date and narrow date dies for 1875 were used concurrently? Gouby states one known for the wide date penny, this was seen 10 years ago. If the flawed die was around long enough to be used with two different reverse dies, why isn't this a common variety???

David

It does look like a man made shape as opposed to a bit of grit and does look like one of the dots in a colon. I think it is in a strange place for an identification mark.

One possibility is a dropped dot. Like a dropped letter error. I don't know if you've heard of this but you can see more here:

0503_Droppedphoto5_lg.jpg

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=557

Once the dropped letter or dot was moved onto the surface (field)of the obverse die, bearing in mind it may contain metal filling, small shavings etc it would leave an imprint on the die after the next planchet was fed in and struck.

Hi David, I checked my 1875 with the obverse dot and it too is a F80, I haven't asked Michael about it as I didn't notice he listed the one he knows of as a F82. It will be interesting to know.

post-2455-019795200 1283595022_thumb.jpg

I also noted that there is a small die crack to the right of the ship running from the linear circle to a border tooth which is present on both our specimens.

Here is the rev die crack

post-2455-068579400 1283595138_thumb.jpg

Badger

Hi David, I checked my 1875 with the obverse dot and it too is a F80, I haven't asked Michael about it as I didn't notice he listed the one he knows of as a F82. It will be interesting to know.

post-2455-019795200 1283595022_thumb.jpg

I also noted that there is a small die crack to the right of the ship running from the linear circle to a border tooth which is present on both our specimens.

Thanks, interesting. I wonder if Michael's was an F80?

Still looking for the F82 "cannonball"

:rolleyes:

David

Correction, the 'dot' penny Michael Freeman mentioned was the 1870 with the dot to left of Y. I have not seen one of those, anyone got a scan of an example of this?

Badger