British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
numishoro

1861 Penny, but which one?

I have an 1861 penny but am confused as to which one it is according to the Spinks 2010 book.I have narrowed it down to either reverse F orG and obverse 3 or 4.However, I still may be wrong.If any one here can identify the correct one for me I would be very grateful indeed.I have been collecting coins for around 8 years and vintage watches for around 3 years.i have 6 pictures in my documents(it says they are bmp image) As I'm not expert on a computer how do I send the folder with the 6 images into this post??

Probably the first thing you need to do is change the images from BMP to jpeg. BMP images are quite large, and probably will be too big for the Forum site. I think there is a limit of 150k (total) for images, so you may have to send them (jpeg images) in 2 or 3 responses.

Probably the first thing you need to do is change the images from BMP to jpeg. BMP images are quite large, and probably will be too big for the Forum site. I think there is a limit of 150k (total) for images, so you may have to send them (jpeg images) in 2 or 3 responses.

And save each image as low-compression as you can without noticeable degradation. E.g. Photoshop Level 5 (out of 12) will be reasonable quality.

As I could only add 3 photos to my post I have had to do another one with the last photo as the size was too big.Hopefully from the photos, someone can identify the correct obverse and reverse.Many thanks in advance to all who have helped.

post-5668-095370200 1283475042_thumb.jpg

Edited by numishoro

Numishoro

Is that a "raised Dot" between the O and the N in One? Or a small indentation?

Definitely Reverse G (the shield is convex not flat). Even though it's one of the commoner types of 1861, it's in absolutely gorgeous state of preservation. I can see no traces of wear, and it looks undisfigured by patchy lustre, just an even dark patina. Lovely!

• Like 1

Looks like reverese G then.I waw unsure wether it was F or g.I was unsure of the obverse,i thought 3 or 4 but other members have disagreed.Either way,it is a beautiful coin.I have a few pennies, 3 half penny and a few farthings all from the victorian reign thta are in e.f. or unc state.My other coins are average.

Can you post a picture of the whole coin both sides so we can see it in all it's glory.

Here it is in all its glory.It's about as best a photo as I could take using a 300X magnification usb microscope.20100905134848.png20100905134742.png

Guest 1861

One more for the new variety section I suppose.

LINK

These doubled character examples occur too often to be regarded as unique varieties but they do provide interesting variations for some collectors. When a character is overpunched with a different character it often becomes a recordable variety, even though both types are probably the accidental result of an attempt to repair a damaged die.

• Like 1

On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2010 at 3:16 AM, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

Looks like a reverse G, obverse 6 - Freeman 33

It is a 6+G

On 08/30/2017 at 1:00 PM, terrysoldpennies said:

It is a 6+G

Thanks for the corroboration...

I qualify it with "looks like" because I'm looking at a cell (mobile) phone screen.  That being said,  I wouldn't even offer an opinion unless I was 99+% sure of what it was. I just allow that small amount of doubt to be there because it is a small screen.