British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Master Jmd

hmm, GBU or FDC?

On tuesday last week, i went down the bank with my mum, and i cashed in a bag of decimalised 1p's and 2p's; i had gone 1p over the £1.00 limit of the bag, but instead of giving me 1p out of the bag, the bank person got a 2004 1p out. This 1p had obviously never reached circulation, and it was in the best condition i had ever seen a penny in; anyway, ive just been looking at this penny and my FDC 1970 proof penny...it seems that my 1p was far more reflective than the 1970 proof penny, my 1p could even make out fully coloured detail (like a bronze mirror :) )...does this make it FDC? i have only touched the coin rim, and the bank person held it by the rim when he passed it to me...

FDC is a term used for proofs and very rarely for currency coins. If your coin is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT with no small scratches due to storage or no wear which I very much doubt, then it would be deemed FDC otherwise it would be BU.

FDC is a term used for proofs and very rarely for currency coins. If your coin is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT with no small scratches due to storage or no wear which I very much doubt, then it would be deemed FDC otherwise it would be BU.

it must be FDC then, even under a powerful magnifying glass one can see no scraches or other minute marks!

If one saves a coin which is "mint fresh" and has no stratches, flaws, blemishes etc. then it can quite possible be FDC.

If one saves a coin which is "mint fresh" and has no stratches, flaws, blemishes etc. then it can quite possible be FDC.

yes, mine is definatley FDC then...

I suppose Oli will want to have an input...................

Quite impossible. No coin reaching general circulation has a hope of having FDC attirbute to it. FDC means that it has never touched another coin i.e absolutely no scratches whatsoever. Use an 18x glass and you'll spot some.

Quite impossible. No coin reaching general circulation has a hope of having FDC attirbute to it. FDC means that it has never touched another coin i.e absolutely no scratches whatsoever. Use an 18x glass and you'll spot some.

hmm, my strongest is an old 16x magnifying glass, it reveals no scraches!

I should imagine that there are many hairline scuffs and scratches JMD.............

Isn't BU good enough? :huh:

Yes, but JMD was asking if his coin qualified for FDC.

In my honest opinion, no.

Isn't BU good enough? :huh:

yea, i suppose...is GBU a grade?

Alright i'll level with you, if BU isn't good enough call it Gem UNC, it probably is, Gem UNC means probably the top 2 to 5% of business strike coins. (i.e those struck for circulation). It's the best it can be considering the modern mas methods of production.

Alright i'll level with you, if BU isn't good enough call it Gem UNC, it probably is, Gem UNC means probably the top 2 to 5% of business strike coins. (i.e those struck for circulation). It's the best it can be considering the modern mas methods of production.

ok then :)

I would grade it BU Gem, I think that's a grade.

It probably is, GEM BU then... it's as good as BU gets. (But i should warn you if it looses it's full lustre and tones then it drops to UNC).