British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Thanks! Filled die????

Nope, damaged die. The filled 2 is raised on the coin so must be incuse on the die. A bit has broken off the die at the inside angle of the 2, unless it is a bit of trapped metal which has attached itself to the flan. You don't have any relief perspective from the image.

This particular phenomenon is refered to as a filled die just for description purposes. You are so correct, the die must have been incuse. It is also possible that the die punch that made the die was damaged,not finished properly or had a piece of trapped metal in it. We may never know. What I do know is that this so called filled die 1920 penny is far from unique.

Thanks! Filled die????

Nope, damaged die. The filled 2 is raised on the coin so must be incuse on the die. A bit has broken off the die at the inside angle of the 2, unless it is a bit of trapped metal which has attached itself to the flan. You don't have any relief perspective from the image.

This particular phenomenon is refered to as a filled die just for description purposes. You are so correct, the die must have been incuse. It is also possible that the die punch that made the die was damaged,not finished properly or had a piece of trapped metal in it. We may never know. What I do know is that this so called filled die 1920 penny is far from unique.

This flaw is found on a number of dates in the George V series and as you say is far from unique. Known examples include 1912H, 1920, 1921, 1927 and 1932. Also the 1922 second '2'. The extent of the filling of the '2' also varies, suggesting a progressive flaw. The fact that it occurs on the '2's throughout the series, suggests that it is a common flaw in the shape and cutting of the dies for the '2'. Or maybe it's inevitable given the shape of the number '2'. As you say, we probably will never know.

2.101) 1934 Freeman 210*, Dies 5+C, missing waves and rocks left of shield, Exceedingly rare and possibly Unique.

Another one I've never heard of, be interested to see the pictures

Thanks for the info

:)

David

I hope that this picture is clear enough, :unsure::unsure:

Thanks! Filled die????

It was the 1934 I was commenting on

2.101) 1934 Freeman 210*, Dies 5+C, missing waves and rocks left of shield, Exceedingly rare and possibly Unique.

Thanks for the info

David

Thanks! Filled die????

It was the 1934 I was commenting on

Yes, I agree, most unusual, I haven't seen another specimen. You would have thought that this filling would have occurred gradually. :unsure::unsure:

Well my 2 coins turned up from the Workman sale. I won numbers 105 and 112

Thanks for the info

David

That 1934 looks like a one-off striking error. (Piece of lint or something filling the die for one strike only?). For me, that makes it even less of interest than a brockage. On the other hand, if other specimens DID turn up, then I'd find it interesting. After all, I have a 1964 sixpence where the I of GRATIA is missing, presumably for similar reasons? No-one here has suggested I might be sitting on a fortune.

I shall watch the result of that auction with interest. If it realises a high price then I'm sending my sixpence to Colin Cooke for an online auction. :D

Edited by Peckris

i had a look through my pennies again.. my 1934's wern't there -_-

so i put those seperate

anywho, i found a couple of interesting bits

974256.jpg

shame it is a dark picture, but it has partual filled 2

984450.jpg

this is a holed 1896, whether whatever caused this was man caused or not, the tide is only visible when you shine it in thelight (angle it and the light refelcts back as faint line that is the tide) but you can see it at the lower rock line near the foot.

Just noticed the following announcement on the CC site:

The James Workman Superior Collection of Pennies PART 2 Catalogues will be available Mid November. Please get in touch to request a copy.

i had a look through my pennies again.. my 1934's wern't there -_-

so i put those seperate

anywho, i found a couple of interesting bits

974256.jpg

shame it is a dark picture, but it has partual filled 2

984450.jpg

this is a holed 1896, whether whatever caused this was man caused or not, the tide is only visible when you shine it in thelight (angle it and the light refelcts back as faint line that is the tide) but you can see it at the lower rock line near the foot.

That's not a completely unattractive hole - have you thought about putting it on eBay? :lol:

Just noticed the following announcement on the CC site:

The James Workman Superior Collection of Pennies PART 2 Catalogues will be available Mid November. Please get in touch to request a copy.

If Part 2 is consistent with Part 1, the coins should be available for viewing on the CC website by the last day of this month.