British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Badger

2 x different dies on F38 Penny

Hi, I have 2 low grade F38 1862 Pennies with L C WYON on bust. They have different dies on the obverses, the 1st one has large spacing between VICTORIA and the Linear circle and the other has a small spacing

coin 1 OBV with large spacing

post-2455-128247400024_thumb.jpg

Coin 2 OBV with small spacing

post-2455-128247438381_thumb.jpg

close up comparison of both

post-2455-128247449157_thumb.jpg

The reverses also have different dies with the 2 in date being a different position

COIN 1 REV

post-2455-128247468745_thumb.jpg

COIN 2 REV

post-2455-128247477212_thumb.jpg

According to Satin, there are 2 die pairings for the F-38....

I have had both, but just saved the better specimen for my collection....

The reverses also have different dies with the 2 in date being a different position

COIN 1 REV

post-2455-128247468745_thumb.jpg

What are you saying Badger? 'Different die' usually refers to a change (however minor) of design. However, the position of the last date numeral - while varying greatly between different actual physical dies due to manual punching - may be variations of the same design. It's usually accepted that these minor variations of numeral are very common indeed, especially in 1862 for some reason. They are no more significant than different die numbers used on some Vicky silver.

What Badger is referring to, is that in the early years of the bronze coinage, you can actually see SLIGHT differences in the actual die itself... not die varieties or changes in design, but SLIGHT physical differences within the same die type..... mostly inconsequential to the average collector, but sometimes invaluable for tracing die usage between certain years... Primarily 1860 and 1861, and when the coins were actually struck...

I believe Paul Holland wrote an article regarding this matter.... (Paul, if you read this, please chime in and correct me or expand upon this)

Hi, Thanks B&C I couldn't have explained it better myself. I collect all minor differences whether it is slight differences to the same main die design or differences with design changes. I actually collect the die number 6d, Shillings and Florins series too(very challenging task). As you say, this is insignificant to most collectors, but not all.

Badger

Hi, Thanks B&C I couldn't have explained it better myself. I collect all minor differences whether it is slight differences to the same main die design or differences with design changes. I actually collect the die number 6d, Shillings and Florins series too(very challenging task). As you say, this is insignificant to most collectors, but not all.

Badger

Good luck in your quest, Badger!