British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Master Jmd

Whats your favourite king and queen?

Whats your favourite king and queen?

mine would be;

King = George III/George IV

Queen = Victoria - no doubt :)

It would be "Who is you favourite King and Queen?" ;)

King - Charles II/George III

Queen - Elizabeth I

King: George V.

Queen: Victoria.

King - George III

Queen - Victoria

It all depends on what makes them your favourite. George IV, for example, was one of the most cultured monarchs we've had, which would make him a favourite with me, but his spendthrift attitudes contributed to the growing unpopularity of the monarchy in the late Hanoverian period. Charles II, another cultured man, was wise enough to know not to appear too clever if he was to be accepted.

I have a soft spot for George V too, but the prize on the female side has to go to Elizabeth I, easily one of the greatest monarchs we've had.

I guess if I had to invite just one to tea, I'd cheat a bit and have that superb all-rounder Prince Albert. In terms of intellect and achievement he's the greatest non-monarch of them all.

I am, of course, speaking purely non-numismatically here.

It would be "Who is you favourite King and Queen?" ;)

Actually, Oli, it would be "Who are your favourite King and Queen?".

:P

King and Queen to me implies a duo team, like that of King William & Queen Mary

I was interpreting it as "Who is your favourite King and who is your favourite Queen"

It all depends on what makes them your favourite.

well, in that case;

Queen Victoria, because she lost her husband and still managed to stay fairly sain for the end of her monarche.

King...not sure!

Mmmm yes, decades in mourning :blink:

I chose Lizzie because she was just a good Queen. She repulsed the Armada, stopped numerous insurrections and planted the seeds of the Empire. This would have been excellent if a man had done it but for a woman to do it at a time of male dominance is amazing.

She came second in the "Greatest ever Britan" contest. She did excellently as a queen, she is my second faviorite after Queen Victoria.

She came second in the "Greatest ever Britan" contest. She did excellently as a queen, she is my second faviorite after Queen Victoria.

I see you guys have all bought into Bess's propaganda...

Now let me see Elizabeth I was a ditherer, she prolonged making any decisions, she drove her councillors to distraction by refusing to marry and refusing to name a successor, the Armada was defeated by a combination of luck and the weather.

Oh and another little known fact about Elizabeth very few of her contemporaries mourned her passing, infact they were actually quite glad to be rid of her and her fiscal burdens. James I was actually welcomed with open arms by many (except those that despised the Scots). It's only because Charles I messed it all up, partly through his own fault and because of the unfavourable situation he inherited from his father, that Elizabeth's reign became glorified and considered the best one of the lot. (read Barry Coward's account for this, or Aylmer, or perhaps even Haigh)

She upset the Protestants because she didn't take the religious change far enough, she upset the Catholics cos she went too far. The brains behind her reign was William Cecil who did much of the day to day running of the country. After his death her popularity dropped immensely. Although if memory serves me correctly she nearly had a crisis at the coronation, as all but one of the Marian bishops refused to crown her, if Oglethorpe had refused too there would have been no coronation. (Starky for that)

And by delaying both the execution of Mary Queen of Scots during her incarceration in England she had a rival claiment to the throne on her own doorstep and many plots were hatched around her against Liz. Also the fact that she refused to name a successor until her dying breath mean that if Elizabeth had died in the 1570s (which she nearly did), there would have been a civil war. (Haigh for that and quite possibly Guy to)

Elizabeth's greatness can only be measured by her longevity (she outlived the opposition), her propaganda, the failure of the following dynasty, and sheer bloody luck.

Oh and by the way; Fave monarchs...

From a monarch point of view, personality...

King = Henry VII / James II

Queen = Mary I

From a Coinage point of view...

King = Stephen

Queen = Mary I

King - George VI, in spite of his limitations as a leader going in, he helped Britain keep her morale up during the darkest days of WWII and won the hearts of most countrymen. In retrospect I think the British were very lucky indeed that Wallis Simpson showed up, facilitating the removal of what proved to be a very serious and possibly dangerous political problem.

Mustn't forget George III. His biggest accomplishments: keeping George IV off the throne as long as he did. ;)

Queen - Victoria. She an dodged assassination attempt in 1840 and several other less significant attacks and became a legend. The British Empire was at its height.

I take it you don't like George IV!

Infact we could come to the same conclusion about William IV, He kept Vicky's mother out of power by living long enough until Victoria could inherit in her own right. He was very worried about what her scheming mother might have done if he didn't make it... :D (or so i read!) So hats off to William IV!

Infact we could come to the same conclusion about William IV, He kept Vicky's mother out of power by living long enough until Victoria could inherit in her own right. He was very worried about what her scheming mother might have done if he didn't make it... :D (or so i read!) So hats off to William IV!

who was Victoria's mother?

I think her name was Victoire, I am not sure though. ;)

Her mother was Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfield, and from what i hear Victoria was very glad when she became Queen because she got away from her overbearing and dominant mother. (Vicky's father the Duke of Kent, Geo IV and W4's brother had died many years earlier when she was but 8 months old).