British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Badger

1862 Farthing

Here is a Farthing with an upside down 8. traces of another 8 below, but different to my small/big 8 and big/small 8

post-2455-128172569258_thumb.jpg

doesn't llok wrong just symetrical

Here is a Farthing with an upside down 8. traces of another 8 below, but different to my small/big 8 and big/small 8

post-2455-128172569258_thumb.jpg

Definitely an inverted 8. It also has the beginnings of the 'forked tail' 6, do you see? Here's mine, much more pronounced :

post-4737-12817385553_thumb.jpg

Definitely an inverted 8. It also has the beginnings of the 'forked tail' 6, do you see? Here's mine, much more pronounced :

Yeah I see the fork, a few of my 1860s have the fork at the very tip, but none as pronounced as yours, thats a great example.

Yeah I see the fork, a few of my 1860s have the fork at the very tip, but none as pronounced as yours, thats a great example.

Yes - I actually tried to interest Colin Cooke in it when he was working on the Farthings section of the replacement for Peck, but he didn't seem that bothered really. I wish I'd sent him the picture now, but it's too late *sigh*.

I have also now come across one of these with the small inverted 8 over a normal upright 8 (and forked tail to 6), but in pretty decent condition. Are they recorded anywhere? Not on aboutfarthings.com, I see...

How rare are they, or indeed how worthy of note?

image.jpg

I think the issue is that the coin in the OP has a clear inverted 8 because of the top loop being clearly larger than the lower loop. With many 1862 farthings there are underlying wide 8's and therefore it is not very clear whether the 8 is inverted or it is just an effect of the underlying digit. An area for further study.

Here's my 1862 - normal 8 but clearly forked 6.

1862 farthing reverse (detail).jpg

I have alway thought there were more varieties of this date around .

Makes collecting a bit more interesting

• Like 1