British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Hussulo

Cannon Powershot A480 review for coin pictures

300wlc6.jpg

For anyone looking for an easy to use cheap (mine was £50 second hand) point and shoot camera I would highly recommend this!

This was my first shot no stand just free hand and no lens attachments. The only thing I had to do was slightly depress the button to take the picture which focused in the image and then fully pressed the button to take the picture.

The bottom of the coin is slightly out of focus as I wasn't directly above it but the colour has come out accurate:

2a0nfwj.jpg

Some more taken again without a stand and no tweaking or colour editing used. These are straight from the camera I have only cropped the edges:

20h7xfq.jpg

2i960ev.jpg

and my 1644 back from CGS yesterday. I wanted to image it before it went back to the bank today.

n6vn0n.jpg

nqbrl.jpg

ac4eg5.jpg

I'm sure if I set up a stand and better lighting the pictures would be even better I am very impressed with this camera.

Build Quality: 3.5/5 its nice and light but feels a bit plasticy and cheap.

Picture Quality: 4.5/5 maybe not a DSLR but for a cheap point and shoot its great.

Ease of use: 4.5/5 I didn't even get a manual with it but don't need one, easy to use.

Highly recommender for a cheap coin imaging camera with no real need for any add ons or bolt ons.

You are right Huss...those are great pic's! I have a Canon Powershot SD1000 Digital Elph, and it takes good pic's of coins, and also coins in "Clear" slabs. It doesn't take good pic's of slabs with a "white" background though. There is always a reflection of the camera back in the picture. Have you tried yours with a white background slab? I would be interested to know if you have the same issue.

You are right Huss...those are great pic's! I have a Canon Powershot SD1000 Digital Elph, and it takes good pic's of coins, and also coins in "Clear" slabs. It doesn't take good pic's of slabs with a "white" background though. There is always a reflection of the camera back in the picture. Have you tried yours with a white background slab? I would be interested to know if you have the same issue.

The pictures of the slab are on a white background, well my window sill which is white. Maybe not as white as a piece of paper mind you. I haven't had much time to have a play about with it but if I can take any on a white background. I'll post the.

PS it is hard to shoot through slabs as you always seem to get a reflection.

A few months back I got a Lumix FZ38 camera (ok, not a cheap 'point & shoot' but way cheaper than a DSLR and it does an astonishing job). I've not yet tried to take coins with it but I must have a go sometime, inspired by what I've seen here.

post-4737-128044234626_thumb.jpg

Better picture.

post-4737-128052877123_thumb.jpg

300wlc6.jpg

For anyone looking for an easy to use cheap (mine was £50 second hand) point and shoot camera I would highly recommend this!

This was my first shot no stand just free hand and no lens attachments. The only thing I had to do was slightly depress the button to take the picture which focused in the image and then fully pressed the button to take the picture.

The bottom of the coin is slightly out of focus as I wasn't directly above it but the colour has come out accurate:

2a0nfwj.jpg

Thanks for the tip, Huss. I've got quite a few coins that I might want to offload, and a quality camera is something I've been thinking about for some time. That looks a good prospect B)

300wlc6.jpg

2a0nfwj.jpg

Thanks for the tip, Huss. I've got quite a few coins that I might want to offload, and a quality camera is something I've been thinking about for some time. That looks a good prospect B)

Think about more than coins, 1949. A camera is something you will want for other purposes too, so bear in mind the following :

1. Do you want no more than a point & shoot snapshot camera to keep in your pocket? If so, Huss's camera would be an excellent choice*

2. Are you SERIOUS about photography? In which case a DSLR is the thing to go for (though much more bulky and expensive)

3. Somewhere between the two? In which case the Lumix (which is unbelievably light by the way) would be perfect & cover most situations

* but bear in mind that most phone cameras have improved no end recently : if you buy the Canon (above) you won't be getting something a million miles better than what's in a decent phone, though it will do coins much better. So if you have a decent phone already, that's another factor to consider.

I know quite a lot about photography, so please feel free to pick my brains (euwww!) if you want more help.

300wlc6.jpg

2a0nfwj.jpg

Think about more than coins, 1949. A camera is something you will want for other purposes too, so bear in mind the following :

1. Do you want no more than a point & shoot snapshot camera to keep in your pocket? If so, Huss's camera would be an excellent choice*

2. Are you SERIOUS about photography? In which case a DSLR is the thing to go for (though much more bulky and expensive)

3. Somewhere between the two? In which case the Lumix (which is unbelievably light by the way) would be perfect & cover most situations

* but bear in mind that most phone cameras have improved no end recently : if you buy the Canon (above) you won't be getting something a million miles better than what's in a decent phone, though it will do coins much better. So if you have a decent phone already, that's another factor to consider.

I know quite a lot about photography, so please feel free to pick my brains (euwww!) if you want more help.

Thanks for the offer, Peck. Much appreciated.

What I would be looking for is a not too expensive digital camera, which takes sharp close up images. Huss's phone looked just the job ~ although obviously that is on recommendation. No reason not to accept what he says, 100% though.

To be honest with you, I don't like phone cameras much. My experience so far has been that they certainly don't give an accurate representation of people, and make their faces look over red & blown up. I had one taken of me recently, for facebook, and I didn't use it because it made me look like a thick, sweaty, country yokel, just back from baling hay. No offence to rural folk, but not the image I wanted to project. A subsequent one taken with a normal camera was much better. That being the case, I don't think I would trust phone cameras to do a good job with coins.

300wlc6.jpg

2a0nfwj.jpg

Thanks for the offer, Peck. Much appreciated.

What I would be looking for is a not too expensive digital camera, which takes sharp close up images. Huss's phone looked just the job ~ although obviously that is on recommendation. No reason not to accept what he says, 100% though.

To be honest with you, I don't like phone cameras much. My experience so far has been that they certainly don't give an accurate representation of people, and make their faces look over red & blown up. I had one taken of me recently, for facebook, and I didn't use it because it made me look like a thick, sweaty, country yokel, just back from baling hay. No offence to rural folk, but not the image I wanted to project. A subsequent one taken with a normal camera was much better. That being the case, I don't think I would trust phone cameras to do a good job with coins.

I absolutely agree (not about the thick sweaty country yokel obviously, I value my teeth :lol: ). If you just want 'point & shoot' that will do coins, Huss's Canon (excellent make BTW) is just the ticket and costs under £80, so good value. A good review is here :

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/canon_powershot_a480_review/

Bear in mind - it has an optical zoom that's 3X, which in old money means it goes from reasonably wide angle to very short telephoto, i.e. slightly closer than the good old standard lens of an SLR.

The Lumix is way more expensive - not far short of £300 - but it has 18X zoom which gets very close and would serve pretty much every need. But it sounds more than you are 'up for'. It has a good reputation - though been around far less long than Canon - but it does have Leica lenses which is about as venerated as you can get.

Anyway, from the price and size comparison, I'd say the Canon would suit you. That review also looks at its competitors by the way - you might see something you like even more.

Well Huss, I hope you're on commission because I just bought one.

I have a 4 year old Fuji S5600 that just isn't doing it on the coins, so I'll try the Canon!

I also wanted something small enough to stick in a pocket for that very rare event (nearly as rare as the 33 penny), landing an Atlantic Salmon ;)

I'll give you a shout if I want a refund!

I have a 4 year old Fuji S5600 that just isn't doing it on the coins, so I'll try the Canon!

I also wanted something small enough to stick in a pocket for that very rare event (nearly as rare as the 33 penny), landing an Atlantic Salmon ;)

No commission from Canon but if you do like it send £10 to ... :)

Sorry no refunds given for advice. :P

Seriously once you get it would be nice if you could take some snaps and share them with us and give us your verdict.

Seriously once you get it would be nice if you could take some snaps and share them with us and give us your verdict.

Snaps of coins or salmo salar?

The former is no problem, the latter may be a very long wait :D

How are you finding it? I take it all of the pics on your site are from the canon? They are good crisp shots. Are you using a tripod or flying solo?

How are you finding it? I take it all of the pics on your site are from the canon? They are good crisp shots. Are you using a tripod or flying solo?

Yes, I'd be interested to know this too. What accessories do people use to photo coins in an absolutely flat plane at right angles to the lens?

Yes, I'd be interested to know this too. What accessories do people use to photo coins in an absolutely flat plane at right angles to the lens?

I meant the coins but pics of a Salmon would be nice.

I used a tripod and coins on a flat surface.I sometimes tilt a coin to get a better reflection of its surface, particularly to capture colourful coins. I'm thinking about buying a couple of daylight bulbs/ lights but at the moment found the best option is natural day light.

I've got a small piece of glass which I am going to attempt to use for taking picture of proofs through.

Has anyone seen this site? it has some good tips for coin Photography:

http://www.blackmountaincoins.com/coins/My-Approach-to-Coin-Photography/subpage201.html

Edited by Hussulo

http://www.blackmoun...subpage201.html

Thanks Huss, that looks a really useful article

:)

David

I used a tripod and coins on a flat surface.I sometimes tilt a coin to get a better reflection of its surface, particularly to capture colourful coins. I'm thinking about buying a couple of daylight bulbs/ lights but at the moment found the best option is natural day light.

I've got a small piece of glass which I am going to attempt to use for taking picture of proofs through.

http://www.blackmountaincoins.com/coins/My-Approach-to-Coin-Photography/subpage201.html

Daylight bulbs I found to be almost as bad as a flash. I used to do a lot of antique silver plate (that's sterling or britannia items not dressed up copper for the uninitiated), hence the Argentum in the title. The daylight bulbs were way too bright and the only way I could use them was by lighting the walls of a photography tent externally with the object inside. This is obviously no use for coins at all.

I favour natural daylight like yourself, but we are in very short supply in North Cumbria most days!

I should have the new beastie on Thursday according to Argos direct!!!!....,,,,so I will do a couple of pics of the same coin with the old and new camera.

I only resize pictures and have never even attempted photo shop, suite, or whatever else is available. I'm usually doing batches of 20 or so coins at a time so I wouldn't have the time if I could raise the inclination to titivate pictures! Besides, evidence tampering was always a big no no :D

In the past I've had to modify the colour of images to get the picture of the coin to look like the sane as it does in hand. I don't believe in "juicing" an image to make a coin look better then it is.

If you took a picture of a coin on a white background the background would always appear yellowish when you uploaded the picture onto the computer. I think it had something to do with the white balancing or lack of on my old camera

With the my new Canon the image colour seems to be quite spot on straight away.

PS if anyone is looking for a decent free photo software with a circle cropping tool you should try PhotoScape:

My linkhttp://download.cnet.com/PhotoScape/3000-2192_4-10703122.html

Daylight bulbs I found to be almost as bad as a flash. I used to do a lot of antique silver plate (that's sterling or britannia items not dressed up copper for the uninitiated), hence the Argentum in the title. The daylight bulbs were way too bright and the only way I could use them was by lighting the walls of a photography tent externally with the object inside. This is obviously no use for coins at all.

I favour natural daylight like yourself, but we are in very short supply in North Cumbria most days!

I should have the new beastie on Thursday according to Argos direct!!!!....,,,,so I will do a couple of pics of the same coin with the old and new camera.

I only resize pictures and have never even attempted photo shop, suite, or whatever else is available. I'm usually doing batches of 20 or so coins at a time so I wouldn't have the time if I could raise the inclination to titivate pictures! Besides, evidence tampering was always a big no no :D

I use Photoshop quite a lot, but it's almost got too many features for the average punter. Whereas iPhoto has only a limited range but they are all there in one row of simple icons and contain the ones most needed : exposure, levels, colour balance, sharpness, contrast, rotate, crop, plus a few basic effects (sepia, B&W, 'aged', vignette, etc). For us collectors, iPhoto would do everything we need doing really.

I use Photoshop a lot, but didn't know about iPhoto. Thanks Peckris.

First efforts with the new canon. Taken at 2010hrs tonight (so light not at it's optimum) using the mini tripod.

First is the reverse of a double florin, the second is the obverse of the same coin.

post-4546-128103564158_thumb.jpg

Obverse

post-4546-128103574415_thumb.jpg

Considering the low light I'm quite impressed.

It didn't arrive until 1800hrs (good old Argos) and then I had my house husband chores to attend to..... so I haven't had much chance to play around with it.

The one thing that is slightly irksome is the fact that freehand shots on macro appear to be a no go area. I took 8 to get 2 decent pictures. The Fuji wins hands down in that area as it has an anti blur feature (the canon might have when I get time to read the manual)

I have only owned Fuji digital cameras and find the menu easy to navigate, the canon will take a bit of time to get used to.

It is slightly unfair to compare ease of use and features as the Fuji was 5 times the price of the canon, that said the canon certainly appears to be a very decent piece of kit for less than £60.

I'll ask your good selves to pass comment on how good or bad you think the 2 pictures are.

Tomorrow I will compare Fuji and Canon shots of the same coin in good light and add the pictures for you all to judge.

The one thing that does stand out immediately is the fact that the Fuji gives "cold" photos if you know what I mean, the Canon seems to give a softer more accurate picture.

I will put a disclaimer on this "review" and tell you all that I am no David Bailey!