British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest alan

Celtic Coin Identification

Guest alan

can anyone help i have found what may be a celtic bronzecoin. It is 16mm in diameterand 2mm thick. It is slightly concave/convex the design is on the concave side the convex side is blank. The design is a horse prancing to the left with an annulet above the back of the horse and what looks like 3 dots under the horses chest. Any help would be appreciated.

Alan,

I don't know much about Celtic coins myself but if you attach a picture in the forum, using the 'You may attach a file to this message.' prompt perhaps I'll chance upon it in a book I have featuring Celtic coins.

Make sure it's a good quality jpg picture and not too large.

Although I imagine it's not that easy to scan a concave coin and you'd need a very good digital camera!

Chris

www.predecimal.com

Not into ancient.

This site is good browse a little.

http://www.celticcoins.com/

Some coin symbol is a wheel at top all I can think of relate to GB is stonehenge, but other coins bear a name of a king dont know the reference of it maybe the dots are number of tribes or kingship on his realm,all I can think of animals are all those giant images curved all over GB seen some horse facing left some facing right mmaybe the references point is the stonehenge as a marker or in todays term kilometer zero as 0 and the division is the number ok kingship,those giant images curved in GB is just like a marker that you are entering there domain as a sign,just a comment.

Edited by josie

Just posting and comment.

Maybe it is also the start of facing icon next in line will face left or right depends maybe before the influence of roman in GB.

Also symbolic of a leader just like an Oak tree high in the mountain,great and wide its arm far reaching in power,rooted in the ground or in this land,cannot be moved by a wind.

In horse swift in action,strong,stern steadfast in judgement a leader of the herd or a head of the pack maybe also warrior.

Seen some documentaries about the stonehenge since they spent 30 to 34 years in there to commune and other activities,I dont know been here in this forum for quite sometime,how thus the elite druids will exhange ideas in those time,maybe aslo related to stars and contelation since sagitarius depending on the date they were born.

The calendar since roman have one and also celts for there is a clay copy in mainland europe with roman number like maybe its placed by the gauls,since that they do that in there coins mixing letters and both calendar is different from one another and there is hole in it with roman number, maybe for the start of a hole maybe they can start the hole if all holes are in the circle like the stonehenge which hole is the first when there is no number written so they put a roman number for the record for future ref..

The two c side by side in the middle of the coin is the symbol of the moon a cresent for winter and summer soltice or the two dot,maybe a babys record of birth or kings reign,just a comment.

Most Celtic tribes used the prancing horse and ,as the earlier coins were slightly syphate, often have worn reverses so presenting a blank face. However, some tribes produced single sided coins also. I'd scour Rudds catalogues and Spinks catalogue for a match. Posting a picture would assist any forum member to better help you. :P

Thank you for the reply.

Ive just starting to browse about celt coin and alphabet in the web any info much appreciated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SAG.svg

seen some post in other forum that the obverse of coins symbolized the head depending on the time it was minted.

the second image is death the first is the head the giver the second the reciever.

about the ox or bull since that it is a beast of burden that work in the field also other consider it as a noble,just like what they do in spain a matador also what druids do or other term sacred cow,the one who, plow the fields maybe a giver of life,since I saw a episode in time team that a death of a leader was made for lost of harvest arms tied down and legs cut down just like they cut down an oak tree.

If they use mostly horse,I will just to find more what are the use of horse on that time,stars for druids,horse for warriors,bearing fruits for workers in the fileds,maybe being a warrior is a job in demand those days that why it is moslty horses and I think it is not easy to be one,seen some books entry that celts coin most of the constelation are in celtic coin in that effect alsoo that holes in stonehenge have animal bones in it, maybe animal that is found in that season or a representation of something else.

We have to find out more maybe to druid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druid

D in ogham. oak

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogham#Alphabe..._Beith-Luis-Nin

Its a start.

Syphate.

Are those coin with side or side maybe it represents a kinggdom on how many are there alliance edgy not yet complete or round like an edge of a tree.on the edge of its realm or power.

what just like the number of line on the tree images or the beads of the corn or the dots in celtic coin or in todays term the number of stars.

Edited by josie

Just posting.

Celtic coin is base on greek coinage as to chalkoi to uncia in weighing there silver coin.

Most of the coin in celtic is made of silver and gold,if other metal exist there would be the low metal denomination,middle metal denomination,the the upper metal denomination,copper,silver and gold.

There are other metal denomination with two or three metal on it.

And there are other metal like electrum or orichrum.

Greek and roman coin use a measure of a quarter by 3 three dots for a unit and the smallest unit is in grain or uncial,or chalkoi.

As or donkey a unit of measure maybe horse.

Dont know what celt use in there measure by 8 or 10 or 12 in a pound then.

Celtic coin is one of the inscribe remnants of pre roman GB,(produce in thier mint aprove by the authority of a chieftain or a king to be used in a transaction on there realm between parties and it did circulate,dont know if there is any low metal content among the tribes or lower denomination among the metal if there is any provincial or if there is a primary or secondary tribe in power there coin have a standard of measure ?) before the stone carvings in GB and there alphabet, but there language existed before the know alphabet of ogham or furthuk or runes.

Also seen some info in the web that roman coin design was assign to some official dont know who do it in celt.

Just a comment

Edited by josie

Not into celtic coin,but sometimes I do search in the web for info maybe in the future if budget allows other books,just like to know those are not clear cut concerning celtic coins,they use horse a lot as a symbol?? and they use a lot of circle like other monoliths or monument in ancient times,the y shape in bronze is just like a letter represent a feather,celtic icon and inscription could be anything.

Guest ammesmith

Can you give me image of this coin so that i can help you?Thanks

Looking for the coins click: Buy Krugerrands and Sell krugerrands