British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
whitie

Is it a coin

Two question s really:

1. In a box of coins that I have just acquired I have a small 2" diameter coin with a indent in one side which protrudes a few mm out the other side... I have been told this is an old coin (Is this correct?)

2. Where can I get coins valued in Hampshire

(I have about 60-80 in total)

Thanks in advance

Bowl shaped coins do exist, but they are not normally 2 inches! If it was smaller, I'd say it could well be a real coin, Most likely Byzantine. It only stands a chance of being of any value if the detail is clear and it can be identified. (2 inches seems a bit large though!)

Are all the coins you have to be valued of similar appearance?

If they are modern (within the last 300 years or so) I can probably help. Often I can give a rough idea over email.

Is there a gallery where I can upload pics?

Whats the charge for evaluations? Most of my coins are 1800's. I also have a 1790 Sovereign (sadly with a necklace hole in) and one that looks the same but in Bronze/copper??

Few of these.. But my one's look slightly different, George has a hooked nose! :lol: . I also have quite a few more George III coins

a Silver shilling in a clasp. and other one's I'm still hunting down!! its going to be a late night!

We don't have a gallery but you could upload them to Omnicoin or just for a general hosting site (the one I use for my sig) you could try Photobucket

That isn't really the greatest picture in the world is it! I can't tell what it is.

For an evaluation, email a list with dates/denominations (or metal type and sizes in mm if not sure) to cp@predecimal.com, and I'll see what I can do. The fee depends on the exact number of coins and how difficult they are.

Sorry camera isn't the best, here's two more... Not much better sadly:

It has no writing or imprints, apart from the dent in the centre. I'll note down the other coins asap. ;)

if so how much?

it would depend on a) their grade, and 2) Their type (for the victorian pennies).

it would depend on a) their grade, and 2) Their type (for the victorian pennies).

Wrong how much ;) Meant how much to value, not how much they're worth.

Or can anyone recommend a place in Hampshire or surrounding areas to take them to?

Chris could these be valued, if so how much?

Well you could sort most of them out yourself with 'Collectors Coins GB 2004 (or the 2005 edition if you can wait until I finish it):

http://www.predecimal.com/books/ccgb2004framed.htm

(give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, give him knowledge and equip him and he'll eat for a lifetime!)

You'll probably find that most of them won't be worth very much if they are circulated/average. The gold coin will be worth a few pounds for bullion value, but it depends on what denomination it is (size in mm needed).