British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Guest pennyking

Iphone

Apple. You either love it or hate it.

;)

Sure. That's why they now have a 10% market share (up from around 2% some years ago). That's why they are now worth more than Microsoft. That's why they run Windows games faster than PCs do. That's why Windows imitates OS X more and more with every new release. That's why they have the largest market share of laptops of any individual manufacturer.

Sure. Everyone hates them, that's why.

:rolleyes:

Never said everyone hates them, just correcting the post to reflect my opinion. ;)

It's interesting. There's a small but dedicated group of Apple-haters (all of them PC users) but when you stop and ask any of them exactly why they hate Apple so, they don't have any rational or logical reason to give! (Not one that's based in fact, anyway). They just start to get all emotional and defensive and you can't get a clear word out of them. There's no sense of "Oh, it's just another system / computer / company - each to their own". No, there's a real sense of loathing comes out, totally irrational, as if a Mac had fallen on their head when they were in their pram.

It's like some years ago, I worked with a guy who loved music, but hated The Beatles. When asked why, he just said "Overhyped rubbish! They were never THAT good! Anyway, their music all sounds the same to me." I think he was just reacting against the prevailing view of history. A natural iconoclast .. like Apple-bashers.

My sister has always been an Appleophile. Some years ago, I earned my living as a PC technician. She bought a new Mac, and proudly showed it to me, and I said (not knowing the blasphemy I was just about to commit..)

"ooh great, lets get the back off then and see what it's got in it". Standard practice when I got a new PC home back then.

she had to go and have a lie down.

My sister has always been an Appleophile. Some years ago, I earned my living as a PC technician. She bought a new Mac, and proudly showed it to me, and I said (not knowing the blasphemy I was just about to commit..)

"ooh great, lets get the back off then and see what it's got in it". Standard practice when I got a new PC home back then.

she had to go and have a lie down.

It's interesting. There's a small but dedicated group of Apple-haters (all of them PC users) but when you stop and ask any of them exactly why they hate Apple so, they don't have any rational or logical reason to give! (Not one that's based in fact, anyway). They just start to get all emotional and defensive and you can't get a clear word out of them. There's no sense of "Oh, it's just another system / computer / company - each to their own". No, there's a real sense of loathing comes out, totally irrational, as if a Mac had fallen on their head when they were in their pram.

It's like some years ago, I worked with a guy who loved music, but hated The Beatles. When asked why, he just said "Overhyped rubbish! They were never THAT good! Anyway, their music all sounds the same to me." I think he was just reacting against the prevailing view of history. A natural iconoclast .. like Apple-bashers.

What i don't get is the huge over inflated price for a Mac, its positively rude what they charge for a basic Mac, perhaps thats why you have Mac haters

They did an independent test on that a few years back, and when you compared like-for-like, it wasn't a big margin after all. It did include such factors as bundled software e.g. Garageband, lifespan of the machines, quality of components used, etc. It didn't include greater productivity through ease of use, lack of crashes, viruses, etc.

I think the only genuinely cheap PCs (yes there are some very cheap PCs but they are mostly rubbish and won't last long) are from Dell, who cut out the middleman.

Having said all that, I do think PCs are better than Macs in one or two areas. Gaming for one (though that's become irrelevant since Macs moved to Intel and can run Windows), and voice processing software for another. And you can upgrade the graphics card on PCs, which will matter to you if you're a hardcore dedicated gamer; however, the GFX card on a new Mac is generally state-of-the-art so it's unlikely you would even notice obsolescence for at least 3 years assuming you are not buying end-of-line.

I'm bumping this for two reasons:

The free PCGS Photo Grading app helps with my grading of US coins as it covers the lot and gives examples.

I don't really collect US coins but for someone who does it could be handy.

Ref: http://www.pcgs.com/photograde/ the online version

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pcgs-photograde-hd/id364737016?mt=8 download link

I've also noticed a copy of Check You Change by our very own Chris Perkins on there.

Can we confirm that this is a legitimate copy? It looks good.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/check-your-change-hd/id371967619?mt=8

im a pc lover and i like apple products too...........

im a photographer, macs used to rule the roost, pcs are now as good, most of the press i work for now use pcs.

i love my itouch and my iphone is the mutz nutz. some of what ive read here is factually incorrect. it is possible for example to create folders on the itouch for images, this could have for example 50 or maybe 100 images in each folder, not too much bother then to retrieve an image stored in a numerical system, the itouch does rotate automatically as soon as the device is rotated.

a dedicated app would be brill, until then the touch or iphone, if set up right are great tools.......dont dismiss them out of hand, if you look closer, you may be surprised, theyre very easy to use....ask my 78 year old dad!!!.

New fangled mumbo jumbo.

My 13 year old boy is more interested in drinking a pint of beer on an ipod that isn't really there (the beer that is) than he is in doing something constructive with his time.

It's a shame that there isn't an app for surgically removing the bloody things from the palms of hands!

i blame the parents.. :D:D:D:D

So do I, he lives 150 miles away from me with his mother. I just have him for all of his school holidays.

I have a nice treat lined up for him in August, 3 days working with me at a coin auction.... I bet his ipod makes a guest appearance!

So do I, he lives 150 miles away from me with his mother. I just have him for all of his school holidays.

I have a nice treat lined up for him in August, 3 days working with me at a coin auction.... I bet his ipod makes a guest appearance!

Ha ha shame he doesn't realise the opportunity hes getting there oh well.

On to subject at hand though a app which basicly was a interactive coin yearbook with values and photos would be great for reasons of portability (auctions/car boots/coin fairs etc) but it certainly wouldnt be 99p more like £9.99 surely.

Just been looking at the PCGS photograde app (free), a CGS-UK app like this would be great.

I remember in the late 90s, when I got a Psion Series V, it had a spreadsheet app. I created a document for Spink prices and busily transcribed prices for all my collection plus many major types in all grades into it. Many hours spent in the local library! However, I did have a portable reference to carry around for a year or two...

Youngsters nowadays .. if there isn't an app for it, they don't want to know. Luxury! We 'ad it tough in them days...

Edited by Peckris

Just been looking at the PCGS photograde app (free), a CGS-UK app like this would be great.

Second that!

The closest thing is http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0948964839/ref=asc_df_09489648392985013?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=0948964839 at the moment.

Yes I agree already got a copy of that one, pretty handy book(The standard guide to grading british coins) indeed.

I remember in the late 90s, when I got a Psion Series V, it had a spreadsheet app. I created a document for Spink prices and busily transcribed prices for all my collection plus many major types in all grades into it. Many hours spent in the local library! However, I did have a portable reference to carry around for a year or two...

Youngsters nowadays .. if there isn't an app for it, they don't want to know. Luxury! We 'ad it tough in them days...

Thats some serious dedication but you do have a point things are easier these days.

Still use my 5mx! B)

Still use my 5mx! B)

Whats the 5mx a older prio model?

Still use my 5mx! B)

opps meant to type psion

Still use my 5mx! B)

Newer by a couple of years.

It's black and white and can't remember anything if you take all of the batteries out.

Still use my 5mx! B)

It's black and white and can't remember anything if you take all of the batteries out.

Yes, disregarding all the warnings I allowed both sets of batteries to go flat, and everything went west. I actually do have an early backup surviving but sadly that was taken before I'd done the Spink spreadsheet. I don't use it at all nowadays (it got pretty shabby, the stylus broke - but a good little machine in its day. The success of the Palm drove it out of the market. I believe they still technically live on in ARM chips and Eriksson firmware?)

Still use my 5mx! B)

Yes, disregarding all the warnings I allowed both sets of batteries to go flat, and everything went west. I actually do have an early backup surviving but sadly that was taken before I'd done the Spink spreadsheet. I don't use it at all nowadays (it got pretty shabby, the stylus broke - but a good little machine in its day. The success of the Palm drove it out of the market. I believe they still technically live on in ARM chips and Eriksson firmware?)

Oh, of course I also mainly use the iPhone, but it has enclosed batteries and needs to be charged up and things while if you're just taking voice/text notes I find you can just carry round a pack of AA batteries and it lasts for weeks.

Well shame about the loss of the data that's a real pain. I must admit I just have a plain old nokia phone and I have the ipod touch. That way I get batter battery life than the two combined for example the iphone and also calls don't stop my music :):D:rolleyes: .

Well shame about the loss of the data that's a real pain. I must admit I just have a plain old nokia phone and I have the ipod touch. That way I get batter battery life than the two combined for example the iphone and also calls don't stop my music :):D:rolleyes: .

Tape them together for an iPhone!