British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1949threepence

Sideline collection ~ £2 coins

Looking at the £2 coins in circulation, there seems to be adequate variety, and sufficient instances of low mintage, to make this a worthwhile and rewarding sideline. It also affords an opportunity to collect from change, which I personally have never really been able to do, or at any rate, there never seemed any particular point in doing it.

What started me off was receiving two Commonwealth games £2 coins (English flag, EF & Welsh flag UNC) over the last few weeks. Ironically enough both from the same place, our staff canteen.

Anybody else done or considering doing this ?

£2 coin mintage figures here

Strangely enough, yes, I had exactly the same thought process.

The rules are, the £2's must come from change, I can't buy any from anywhere I must be handed them in change.

You've done well with those two, I've not seen them.

In fact, it's not that often you get given a £2 full stop, but it's good harmless fun.

I collect from change too. Not just £2s. Though I have to say that for those I tend to concentrate on the different designs rather than just aiming for a year run. I don't keep a specific record of what I have really, just when I receive a coin in decent condition I slip it into an envelope (I have a load of those little white ones from Colin Cooke).

When I get home I compare to what I already have and if it's nicer or I don't have an example I add it. If it's a duplicate or the one I have already is better it goes back into circulation.

It's easy, 'costs' only the face value of the coin and it's a traditional method of collecting. All good fun!

I keep back some £2.

have 1 commonwealth games

both kinds of olympic 2008 (2 of the rarer one)

and a 2008 no dot between DEF and Elizabeth so far

i keep back other things too

found a double struck obverse 2001 5p the other day, adds to my 2001 10p and 1992 10p with the same error

1992 small head 20p's one is aEF :D

Edited by scott

Strangely enough, yes, I had exactly the same thought process.

The rules are, the £2's must come from change, I can't buy any from anywhere I must be handed them in change.

You've done well with those two, I've not seen them.

In fact, it's not that often you get given a £2 full stop, but it's good harmless fun.

I was astounded to get them both within a short space of time and from the same source :blink:

I collect from change too. Not just £2s. Though I have to say that for those I tend to concentrate on the different designs rather than just aiming for a year run. I don't keep a specific record of what I have really, just when I receive a coin in decent condition I slip it into an envelope (I have a load of those little white ones from Colin Cooke).

When I get home I compare to what I already have and if it's nicer or I don't have an example I add it. If it's a duplicate or the one I have already is better it goes back into circulation.

It's easy, 'costs' only the face value of the coin and it's a traditional method of collecting. All good fun!

I suppose that at the end of the day, there are plenty of different designs to choose from, amongst modern coinage

I keep back some £2.

both kinds of olympic 2008 (2 of the rarer one)

and a 2008 no dot between DEF and Elizabeth so far

i keep back other things too

found a double struck obverse 2001 5p the other day, adds to my 2001 10p and 1992 10p with the same error

1992 small head 20p's one is aEF :D

Ive never seen either of the 2008 olympic varieties. So you were lucky to get them.

Does anybody know if any 2009 £2 were issued for circulation ? I don't think I've seen any so far.

i havn't seen 2009 50p+ so no idea

Bit of a mystery then. Of course, they will have been issued for B/UNC and proof sets.

I keep back some £2.

Just as a matter of interest, what £2 Commonwealth games flag do you have, Scott ?

I was astounded to get them both within a short space of time and from the same source :blink:

IME that's the way it works.

I don't think your average coin travels very far, just goes round and round in the same area, therefore it stands to reason that if a bag of new coins are released into circulation, most of them will still be roughly in the same area.

I got a Brunel top hat and a Trevithick locomotive in the same handful of change and I haven't seen either before or since.

In fact I haven't been able to add to my collection for months now.

I always go through the change I get and have built up my collection through that. Today I picked up the England 2002 Commonwealth £2 coin and it's in remarkably good condition for 8 years circulation under it's belt!

IME that's the way it works.

I don't think your average coin travels very far, just goes round and round in the same area, therefore it stands to reason that if a bag of new coins are released into circulation, most of them will still be roughly in the same area.

I got a Brunel top hat and a Trevithick locomotive in the same handful of change and I haven't seen either before or since.

In fact I haven't been able to add to my collection for months now.

I've had quite a few Trevithick locomotives

I always go through the change I get and have built up my collection through that. Today I picked up the England 2002 Commonwealth £2 coin and it's in remarkably good condition for 8 years circulation under it's belt!

Well done B)

I think there may be a logical explanation for some of this. Two pound coins seem to get collected by non-collectors as curiosity pieces ( I know my mom has quite a few) due to the commemorative designs, and as times become harder, they end up getting churned back into circulation. This may also explain why quite a few of them end up in surprisingly good condition.

I think there may be a logical explanation for some of this. Two pound coins seem to get collected by non-collectors as curiosity pieces ( I know my mom has quite a few) due to the commemorative designs, and as times become harder, they end up getting churned back into circulation. This may also explain why quite a few of them end up in surprisingly good condition.

That's a very fair observation, Colin. It could certainly explain why more than one would suddenly appear from exactly the same outlet in a short space of time, when natural odds would suggest a one in ten year event at best.

The £2 sideline is something I too have been doing for a number of years now, all started when I found the 1996 european cup coin in my change. I find the differing designs and themes quite interesting, I just put these coins aside everytime I find a new one in my change and I too like to keep the best.

Just looked through the ones I had and noticed the commonwealth games one I kept has the Welsh flag, I never noticed that before with the 4 differing home flags on this coin, must try to find the English one now!

Another thing to look out for is the edge legend on £2 coins, the legend should read the correct way up with the obverse of the coin upwards but some coins read with the reverse upwards {or upsidedown if you like} Not sure if this is a known error? or rare? just something I have noticed on a number of £2`s. I must get out more!!!! :ph34r:

The £2 sideline is something I too have been doing for a number of years now, all started when I found the 1996 european cup coin in my change. I find the differing designs and themes quite interesting, I just put these coins aside everytime I find a new one in my change and I too like to keep the best.

Just looked through the ones I had and noticed the commonwealth games one I kept has the Welsh flag, I never noticed that before with the 4 differing home flags on this coin, must try to find the English one now!

Another thing to look out for is the edge legend on £2 coins, the legend should read the correct way up with the obverse of the coin upwards but some coins read with the reverse upwards {or upsidedown if you like} Not sure if this is a known error? or rare? just something I have noticed on a number of £2`s. I must get out more!!!! :ph34r:

I've never noticed that, or heard of it for that matter. Must keep a sharp lookout.

Thanks for the heads up (sorry, couldn't resist the cheesey pun) :P

edit: of the ones I possess in my collection (only 7), one is showing the inscription with the reverse upwards, and that is the 2003 "DNA double helix" variety.

Edited by 1949threepence

I was given to understand that the oientation of the edge legend was entirely random on both £2 and £1 coins. I may be wrong though!

Red,

I heard the same that the planchets had the edge lettering struck before the Obverse & Reverse being struck, so it was an entirely random outcome.

Edited by Colin G.

I picked up what I presume is the 'presentation' Brunel bridge coin in change. The bridge part on the reverse and Queen's head on obverse are frosted which I don't think is the case for 'regular' issue coins. I wonder if someone wasn't desperate for a Kitkat one day and cracked open a RM set for the change? I suspect a few coins get into circulation that way.

Edit. Possibly it's a coin from the proof set. Odd someone would split a set. But clearly it's been in circulation.

Edited by TomGoodheart

Red,

I heard the same that the planchets had the edge lettering struck before the Obverse & Reverse being struck, so it was an entirely random outcome.

I've been looking at the edge of all £2 coins that have passed through my hands for the last 2 or 3 weeks, and there are indeed examples in both camps, but with a preponderance of lettering the correct way round, with the obverse up. Maybe 3:1

That would not suggest total randomness. I'll keep looking.

Red,

I've been looking at the edge of all £2 coins that have passed through my hands for the last 2 or 3 weeks, and there are indeed examples in both camps, but with a preponderance of lettering the correct way round, with the obverse up. Maybe 3:1

That would not suggest total randomness. I'll keep looking.

I take that back. After a few more weeks of looking, I've come to the conclusion that it is random.

Also, I got a Scottish flag Commonwealth Games £2 coin today, from a friend. Just need the Northern Ireland one now.

I haven't started a sideline £2 collection yet.

However, what with this recession and all that, I'm making the most of it by getting my decimal collection knocked into shape (of course, looking out for great pre-decimal coins all the while). Doing pretty good for pre 1992 2p, 5p, 10p and 50p - have almost all of them in Unc ... and it's quite interesting how the Unc/BU coin values have been creeping up.

A couple of years ago on eBay I picked up the 10 £1 coins 1983-92 on eBay for about £12 and postage (sent to the US). Also a complete set (Unc or FDC, where needed) of 5p coins 68-98.

It makes for a good challenge anyway, I think!

I haven't started a sideline £2 collection yet.

However, what with this recession and all that, I'm making the most of it by getting my decimal collection knocked into shape (of course, looking out for great pre-decimal coins all the while). Doing pretty good for pre 1992 2p, 5p, 10p and 50p - have almost all of them in Unc ... and it's quite interesting how the Unc/BU coin values have been creeping up.

A couple of years ago on eBay I picked up the 10 £1 coins 1983-92 on eBay for about £12 and postage (sent to the US). Also a complete set (Unc or FDC, where needed) of 5p coins 68-98.

It makes for a good challenge anyway, I think!

Andy, the challenge for me is in obtaining coins which minted under 1 million, from my change. Effectively, this is only possible in the modern era, with £2 coins ~ and only 6 of them, although there are other lowish mintages. Earlier generations could do this with lsd. For post decimalisation generations, this is the first time such collections from change have been worthwhile & possible.

Although I do wish I'd collected a few 1988 pound coins in UNC while I had the chance.

could get a few 50p's as well.

and 2008 £1 old design is lower mintage then 1988 so save one of those ;)

could get a few 50p's as well.

and 2008 £1 old design is lower mintage then 1988 so save one of those ;)

Very true. I'm trying to assemble an old design 2008 set as well.

Additionally, if the old style larger 50p's were still circulating, the 1985 at 682,103 & the 1992 single market at 109,000, were very much to be prized. I remember once getting a 1985, but I can't remember what happened to it. Must have spent it.