British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1949threepence

Sideline collection ~ £2 coins

Andy, the challenge for me is in obtaining coins which minted under 1 million, from my change. Effectively, this is only possible in the modern era, with £2 coins ~ and only 6 of them, although there are other lowish mintages. Earlier generations could do this with lsd. For post decimalisation generations, this is the first time such collections from change have been worthwhile & possible.

Although I do wish I'd collected a few 1988 pound coins in UNC while I had the chance.

Not sure why the 1988 £1 is rated so highly. Not a low mintage and plenty of them were knocking about at the time. Has it become a modern myth?

Additionally, if the old style larger 50p's were still circulating, the 1985 at 682,103 & the 1992 single market at 109,000, were very much to be prized. I remember once getting a 1985, but I can't remember what happened to it. Must have spent it.

The problem with the 1985 is, it's totally indistinguishable from the 50p in the sets. And as we all know, currency coins that only exist in sets don't have a great rarity value. Mainly because most of them were sold to collectors and never circulated. So the circulating 1985 50p is on a loser from the start. Except of course, for the kudos of finding one in your change, but that doesn't = provenance!

I was to happy to receive one of these in my change at the pub last night.

coin2.jpg

Although I cannot, for the life of me, find how many were minted.

I'm sure the mintage figure will evolve in due time ...

The RM site doesn't yet list 2009 mintages, but according to the Krause 2011 Standard Catalog of World Coins, it states "Est. 300,000". Now that seems a bit low, but I reckon we'll find out later this year the number for sure.

The RM site doesn't yet list 2009 mintages, but according to the Krause 2011 Standard Catalog of World Coins, it states "Est. 300,000". Now that seems a bit low, but I reckon we'll find out later this year the number for sure.

Krause 2011 page with 2008/09 £2 coins

Completely irrelevant "Scouse Andy", but from your username you seem to be a refugee from a certain North England seaport?

Edited by Peckris

Completely irrelevant "Scouse Andy", but from your username you seem to be a refugee from a certain North England seaport?

You're quite observant, Peckris ... I am. And whenever I meet someone new over here, they always ask where I'm from (and often guess Ireland) ... when I say England, most ask if London. When I say Liverpool, they generally say - "Oh, the Beatles!!"

I quite like having the different accent :)

You're quite observant, Peckris ... I am. And whenever I meet someone new over here, they always ask where I'm from (and often guess Ireland) ... when I say England, most ask if London. When I say Liverpool, they generally say - "Oh, the Beatles!!"

I know Liverpool quite well - which part are you from Andy? (Please don't say Penny Lane!!)

I know Liverpool quite well - which part are you from Andy? (Please don't say Penny Lane!!)

Anfield. I get to go back every few years - hoping to visit this autumn. I was pretty gutted several years ago when I went back and they'd knocked my old school down! (Anfield Comprehensive on Breckside Park) Going back every few years I see such a difference in England each time!

Anfield. I get to go back every few years - hoping to visit this autumn. I was pretty gutted several years ago when I went back and they'd knocked my old school down! (Anfield Comprehensive on Breckside Park) Going back every few years I see such a difference in England each time!

Anfield? Anfield? Are you ... dare I ask ... a supporter of The Glorious Reds?

I am :) However, an armchair supporter - not very sporty - I follow them via the Telegraph online. Mind you, their last season wasn't too hot ... let's hope for this year.

I think if ever I do go for US citizenship, I'd fail ... being male, the first question they'd ask would be "Are you completely and utterly obsessed with sports?" - I'd have to say 'no', and that would doom the application!

everyone knows the glorious reds are located in the same place the event the prestigious £2's were minted for ;)

thats the 2002 commonwealth games :P

Edited by scott

I am :).....

..... is the right answer!

Let's hope 1) Torres stays 2) the new buys turn up trumps 3) Roy Hodgson can work miracles 4) Your mission to go and demand of the owners that they sell the club damn quick, is successful!!

Andy, the challenge for me is in obtaining coins which minted under 1 million, from my change. Effectively, this is only possible in the modern era, with £2 coins ~ and only 6 of them, although there are other lowish mintages. Earlier generations could do this with lsd. For post decimalisation generations, this is the first time such collections from change have been worthwhile & possible.

Although I do wish I'd collected a few 1988 pound coins in UNC while I had the chance.

Not sure why the 1988 £1 is rated so highly. Not a low mintage and plenty of them were knocking about at the time. Has it become a modern myth?

You try getting one from your change in decent nick. Yes I know you can buy them, but that's no fun.

Additionally, if the old style larger 50p's were still circulating, the 1985 at 682,103 & the 1992 single market at 109,000, were very much to be prized. I remember once getting a 1985, but I can't remember what happened to it. Must have spent it.

The problem with the 1985 is, it's totally indistinguishable from the 50p in the sets. And as we all know, currency coins that only exist in sets don't have a great rarity value. Mainly because most of them were sold to collectors and never circulated. So the circulating 1985 50p is on a loser from the start. Except of course, for the kudos of finding one in your change, but that doesn't = provenance!

Well that's what it's all about IMO.

Strangely enough, yes, I had exactly the same thought process.

The rules are, the £2's must come from change, I can't buy any from anywhere I must be handed them in change.

You've done well with those two, I've not seen them.

In fact, it's not that often you get given a £2 full stop, but it's good harmless fun.

I've started to play this game too! :) But back when we were looking for bun & KN pennies we also went to the bank asking for a 5/- bag of copper, how much is a bag of £2 coins at the High St bank?

you know what annoys me, 8/10 times i get a 50p its a 1997...

i do love a good circulation search. especally as i netted the small head 1992 20p in EF

these are some of the £2 i have found over the years

979616.jpg

962897.jpg

most interesting one (no dot between elizabeth and Def

The rules are, the £2's must come from change, I can't buy any from anywhere I must be handed them in change.

In fact, it's not that often you get given a £2 full stop, but it's good harmless fun.

I've started to play this game too! :) But back when we were looking for bun & KN pennies we also went to the bank asking for a 5/- bag of copper, how much is a bag of £2 coins at the High St bank?

That's cheating.

You have to wait and see what the fates direct your way, oh and make a note of what the transaction was.

Most of mine have come from the pub, ahem...

That's cheating.

You have to wait and see what the fates direct your way, oh and make a note of what the transaction was.

I wasn't thinking of actually trying that, just curious. £2 coins seem so scarce in circulation, I was just wondering whether retailers actually order them, and if so, in what quantity, or are they issued mixed in with pound coins?

only thing I use cash for these days is buying a packet of fags, newspaper, cup of coffee etc

Whether getting bags of coins from the bank is cheating isn't really the most important issue. Far more of a practical problem is the abysmal customer service in most of our banks and at the Post Office. My local PO has a sign explicitly stating "We cannot exchange coins or notes for cash." These days it is actually quite difficult to walk into a bank with a fiver and get a bag of silver. Heck, I couldn't even pay my own money into my own bank account the other week, because they'd only accept full bags of coins. :rolleyes:

I don't know why this country is so grumpy and misanthropic in this regard. In the US, where you'd have thought the capitalist ethos would have stamped on any process or service that doesn't yield profit, you can go into any bank and get rolls of quarters -- I do this every time I go there, to get the latest State Quarters.

I don't know why this country is so grumpy and misanthropic in this regard. In the US, where you'd have thought the capitalist ethos would have stamped on any process or service that doesn't yield profit, you can go into any bank and get rolls of quarters -- I do this every time I go there, to get the latest State Quarters.

This is true, and you can (from certain banks) get rolls of half-dollars - and there, you may still encounter some real silver! I have had a couple this way. Most seem to be 1965-70 40% silver (and silver is silver!), but I have heard tales of getting 1964 or earlier half-dollars (90% silver) in such rolls!

Edited by andyscouse

Whether getting bags of coins from the bank is cheating isn't really the most important issue. Far more of a practical problem is the abysmal customer service in most of our banks and at the Post Office. My local PO has a sign explicitly stating "We cannot exchange coins or notes for cash." These days it is actually quite difficult to walk into a bank with a fiver and get a bag of silver. Heck, I couldn't even pay my own money into my own bank account the other week, because they'd only accept full bags of coins. :rolleyes:

I can't see why they should be unhelpful with regard to such matters ~ it gains them no friends.

Mind you, all that said, it does seem that in recent years the MO of most organisations seems to be one of inconveniencing the customer as much as possible. There's so much rigidity in their collective procedures.

That's cheating.

I wasn't thinking of actually trying that, just curious. £2 coins seem so scarce in circulation, I was just wondering whether retailers actually order them, and if so, in what quantity, or are they issued mixed in with pound coins?

only thing I use cash for these days is buying a packet of fags, newspaper, cup of coffee etc

My kid brother owns a couple of costcutter shops in Yorkshire and he has to pay the bank for his change!!!!!!

I don't know what qunatity he gets but he is always after change from friends and family to save him from the hassle of begging his bank to give him his own money in change :rolleyes:

I did tell him to check all of his 20p coins and of course he never found a single undated one :(

Coins are on the way out, no doubt.