50 Years of RotographicPredecimal.com. British Numismatic Trade Association Member - One of the most popular websites on British coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Collectors' Coins Great Britain 2014 Standard Guide to Grading British Coins British and Empire Campaign Medals 1793 to 1902British and Irish Campaign Medals 1902 to 2010England's Striking History Roman Base Metal Coins - A Price Guide Roman Silver Coins - A Price Guide  Available for Kindle Available as .epub
The Current Rotographic printed book titles on Amazon. Click the Kindle icon above to see the Rotographic range for Kindle. Click the .epub icon to purchase as .epub direct from Rotographic.

50 Years of RotographicRotographic.com Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals.

Photo

Rare 5 pence ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 genius

genius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:44 PM

Hi people, sorry i am new to this forum.

Anyway, i just came across the coin, dated - 1998. Identical shape in comparison with a 10 pence. However it states "5 pence"
I was just wondering whether this is some sort of rare coin, or even potentially it being worth anything?

I have added a few pictures below. Sorry for the poor quality.

Thank you so much for your time.

Attached Files

This isn't just a forum - Purchase British coins, collecting accessories and books on www.predecimal.com

#2 genius

genius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 03:07 PM

Hi people, sorry i am new to this forum.

Anyway, i just came across the coin, dated - 1998. Identical shape in comparison with a 10 pence. However it states "5 pence"
I was just wondering whether this is some sort of rare coin, or even potentially it being worth anything?

I have added a few pictures below. Sorry for the poor quality.

Thank you so much for your time.

Sorry... Let me add. Its the same size as a 10 pence coin. Big compared to a 5 pence.

#3 TomGoodheart

TomGoodheart

Happy as a cat full of sixpences

• Numismatic Research Group
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  • Interests:Decent coffee, Italian food, a glass of red wine and my family (though not necessarily in that order!) Crosswords, enjoying my garden and British weather.

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:04 PM

Mmm ... I'm afraid the photos don't do your coin justice. Could you try again to get a sharper image?

And .. just checking .. it does say 1998, not 1989 (or 1990), yes? And when you say 'big', that means 24.5mm? Thanks!

I have some spare Charles I Tower shillings for sale.  Interested?  PM me!

#4 Peckris

Peckris

Former God (now redundant)

• Numismatic Research Group
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,715 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:28 PM

I'm afraid your coin isn't 1998. The portrait of the Queen would be the current portrait if it was. What yours shows is the portrait used between 1985 and 1997. Up to 1990, 5 pence pieces were the size of the current 10 pence piece, but were then reduced in size. Two years later, the 10 pences were reduced to their current size.

What you probably have is an old 5 pence piece, probably dated 1988 or 1989, which should be evident if you check with a magnifying glass.

Hope that helps.