British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest genius

Rare 5 pence ?

Guest genius

Hi people, sorry i am new to this forum.

Anyway, i just came across the coin, dated - 1998. Identical shape in comparison with a 10 pence. However it states "5 pence"

I was just wondering whether this is some sort of rare coin, or even potentially it being worth anything?

I have added a few pictures below. Sorry for the poor quality.

Thank you so much for your time.

post-5455-127644028178_thumb.jpg

post-5455-127644029136_thumb.jpg

Guest genius

Hi people, sorry i am new to this forum.

Anyway, i just came across the coin, dated - 1998. Identical shape in comparison with a 10 pence. However it states "5 pence"

I was just wondering whether this is some sort of rare coin, or even potentially it being worth anything?

I have added a few pictures below. Sorry for the poor quality.

Thank you so much for your time.

Sorry... Let me add. Its the same size as a 10 pence coin. Big compared to a 5 pence.

Mmm ... I'm afraid the photos don't do your coin justice. Could you try again to get a sharper image?

And .. just checking .. it does say 1998, not 1989 (or 1990), yes? And when you say 'big', that means 24.5mm? Thanks!

I'm afraid your coin isn't 1998. The portrait of the Queen would be the current portrait if it was. What yours shows is the portrait used between 1985 and 1997. Up to 1990, 5 pence pieces were the size of the current 10 pence piece, but were then reduced in size. Two years later, the 10 pences were reduced to their current size.

What you probably have is an old 5 pence piece, probably dated 1988 or 1989, which should be evident if you check with a magnifying glass.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Guest Amelia

Mine is dated as 1988. It is the same size as a 10 pence but it says it is a 5 pence. It's an Elizabeth the 2nd D.G.REG.F.D.1988

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

If it's the same size then put the two together so we can see the comparison. 

Are you really a genius?

4 hours ago, Guest Amelia said:

Mine is dated as 1988. It is the same size as a 10 pence but it says it is a 5 pence. It's an Elizabeth the 2nd D.G.REG.F.D.1988

Read the post 2 above yours..

Gosh I feel old!

Guest hey ive got old 1969 one
On 13/06/2010 at 11:28 PM, Peckris said:

I'm afraid your coin isn't 1998. The portrait of the Queen would be the current portrait if it was. What yours shows is the portrait used between 1985 and 1997. Up to 1990, 5 pence pieces were the size of the current 10 pence piece, but were then reduced in size. Two years later, the 10 pences were reduced to their current size.

What you probably have is an old 5 pence piece, probably dated 1988 or 1989, which should be evident if you check with a magnifying glass.

Hope that helps.

1484836183668.jpg

1484836211586.jpg

Perfectly normal size for that date - you want to find one that size with 1991 on....:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Guest Whiz

I have come across old 5p dated 1978 but says new pence . Is this worth anything

Yes, but as a single coin and assuming less than uncirculated condition, scrap metal value only. If you had a large quantity, you might be able to get the Bank of England to redeem them at face value, but hardly worth the effort of a special trip.

Jerry

Coins were described as NEW PENCE until 1983 when the NEW was dropped. There's a few 1983 2p's that read NEW PENCE instead of TWO PENCE, but apart from those, none are rare.

Guest jstsomeguy

i have a 1991 5p an under the queens head is what looks like a sharks fin but I cant seem to find any other like it 

Guest jstsomeguy

is this worth anything

On 18/07/2017 at 6:14 PM, Peckris said:

Coins were described as NEW PENCE until 1983 when the NEW was dropped. There's a few 1983 2p's that read NEW PENCE instead of TWO PENCE, but apart from those, none are rare.

Wasn't it 1982 when they dropped  new for two ? I am trying to figure if that was what you meant.?^_^

Guest Danrob1305

Could any one

give me a valuation of this 5p coin with a hedgehog on the front? On back it says Elizabeth 11 Australia 1991 

received_10155968637606648.jpeg

It will be worth five Australian cents, less than 5p I believe. I would put it in a charity box, the warm feeling you will get is worth more than 5p.

Jerry

24 minutes ago, Guest Danrob1305 said:

Could any one

give me a valuation of this 5p coin with a hedgehog on the front? On back it says Elizabeth 11 Australia 1991 

It's an echidna. :)

57 minutes ago, Guest Danrob1305 said:

Could any one

2.804 pence minus commision fees.

(less than 3p)