British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

azda

Useful links (members posts)

Best known examples of French coins from 1795 to 2001 Collection ideale

David

CGB have now put their current catalogue values (for 6 grades) of French coins on line here

Nice development, Spink et al take note, serious collectors will still buy the printed catalogue for the wealth of background info

I happen to think that Le Franc is probably the best single country catalogue on the market and excellent value at €28

smile.gif

David

Edited by davidrj

http://www.gcoins.net/en/catalog

global coin identification/database by country

http://www.coindatabase.com/coin_libras_sort_denomination.php

same again but with a little but more information on the mintage's etc found it to be more useful with the American coin side of things

http://www.silverbullionworld.com/index.html

a list of silver bullion and mintages(common ones)

Celtic starters, and how to spot a fake

http://coinsweekly.com/index.php?pid=4&id=1825

Starters? I thought this was a thread about fake hors d'oeuvres for a minute! :D

Surely it's manes not starters?

..and they're off!!!

Starters? I thought this was a thread about fake hors d'oeuvres for a minute! :D

..and they're off!!!

Buggers all round!

Better make that burgers all round! :)

Edited by Coinery

..and they're off!!!

Brings new meaning to 70's tv chef, Graham Kerr? the "Galloping Gourmet".

:lol:

I thought this was interesting. Written in 1996. Coin Market Slang.

This was my favourite :

"Mint State

Also Uncirculated. A coin in the condition in which it left the mint. Never circulated. IN THE BEGINNING there was the word Uncirculated, and it was good. Then, over time, God created adjectives to modify His word. At first he proposed but two: Choice and Gem. Apostles, like Q. David Bowers, hoped to affix a third: Select. However, Select failed to adhere. Then, when God's adjectives proved inadequate, a numbering system was devised. This numbering system the Apostles borrowed from the Order of Large Cent monks. Up to 1976, Mint State numbers for Large Cents included 60, 65, and 70, with 70 meaning full mint red. These numbers were pressed into service on other coin types, then modified and augmented over time. Mint State was called 60; Choice, 65; and Gem became 70. Later, 70 transmuted into Superb Gem (a glorious new adjective). Finally, the ultimate grade of 70 evolved to mean God's Own Perfection. Intermediate numbers therein followed: 63 arose earliest, in the later-1970s; a few years on followed 64 (when 65 proved too weak to distinguish the fine quality shifts in a Mint State coin). Eventually, all eleven integers found their way into the numismatic liturgy: Mint State 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, and (now rarely seen) 70. IT CAME TO PASS that other disciples hit upon the idea of adding a small 'PQ' to the number to signify Premium Quality. Still others bethought they could see thine selves reflected in the field of certain Morgan silver dollars. With this, prooflike was born. Eventually, those wanting separation from the rabble of everyday prooflike collectors enlarged the term to include 'deep mirror' prooflike as well. And so, from its lowly beginnings as a single usage, the grade Mint State--in the case of silver dollars at any rate--has come to include one of sixty-six possible permutations. Is that, or is that not, progress?"

This was my favourite :

"Mint State

Also Uncirculated. A coin in the condition in which it left the mint. Never circulated. IN THE BEGINNING there was the word Uncirculated, and it was good. Then, over time, God created adjectives to modify His word. At first he proposed but two: Choice and Gem. Apostles, like Q. David Bowers, hoped to affix a third: Select. However, Select failed to adhere. Then, when God's adjectives proved inadequate, a numbering system was devised. This numbering system the Apostles borrowed from the Order of Large Cent monks. Up to 1976, Mint State numbers for Large Cents included 60, 65, and 70, with 70 meaning full mint red. These numbers were pressed into service on other coin types, then modified and augmented over time. Mint State was called 60; Choice, 65; and Gem became 70. Later, 70 transmuted into Superb Gem (a glorious new adjective). Finally, the ultimate grade of 70 evolved to mean God's Own Perfection. Intermediate numbers therein followed: 63 arose earliest, in the later-1970s; a few years on followed 64 (when 65 proved too weak to distinguish the fine quality shifts in a Mint State coin). Eventually, all eleven integers found their way into the numismatic liturgy: Mint State 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, and (now rarely seen) 70. IT CAME TO PASS that other disciples hit upon the idea of adding a small 'PQ' to the number to signify Premium Quality. Still others bethought they could see thine selves reflected in the field of certain Morgan silver dollars. With this, prooflike was born. Eventually, those wanting separation from the rabble of everyday prooflike collectors enlarged the term to include 'deep mirror' prooflike as well. And so, from its lowly beginnings as a single usage, the grade Mint State--in the case of silver dollars at any rate--has come to include one of sixty-six possible permutations. Is that, or is that not, progress?"

I was chuckling at that....brilliant!! :lol:

Some interesting reading of Fake NGC slabs. Any collector of slabs should read

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=6858.0

Just goes to sho, buy the coin and not the slab

Yes, absolutely.

(By the way - trivial point - I note that the Chinese Coins forum opens up a new tab when you click a link, unlike this one which takes you away from here, so you have to Go Back through however many levels it took you away, in order to return here. Chris, any chance we could have the same here : i.e., when you click an embedded link, it opens a new tab?)

Why do these idiots buy modern slabbed coins?

I would love to get a nice big line up of these suckers and do some serious face slapping with a large cod. :rolleyes:

Why do these idiots buy modern slabbed coins?

I would love to get a nice big line up of these suckers and do some serious face slapping with a large cod. :rolleyes:

Lol, i had a mental Image of you and the cod and just laughed. The Frau thinks i've gone mad

Some interesting reading of Fake NGC slabs. Any collector of slabs should read

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=6858.0

Just goes to sho, buy the coin and not the slab

Yes, absolutely.

(By the way - trivial point - I note that the Chinese Coins forum opens up a new tab when you click a link, unlike this one which takes you away from here, so you have to Go Back through however many levels it took you away, in order to return here. Chris, any chance we could have the same here : i.e., when you click an embedded link, it opens a new tab?)

Why not just right click and choose 'open in new window'?