British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

azda

Useful links (members posts)

Some interesting reading of Fake NGC slabs. Any collector of slabs should read

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=6858.0

Just goes to sho, buy the coin and not the slab

Yes, absolutely.

(By the way - trivial point - I note that the Chinese Coins forum opens up a new tab when you click a link, unlike this one which takes you away from here, so you have to Go Back through however many levels it took you away, in order to return here. Chris, any chance we could have the same here : i.e., when you click an embedded link, it opens a new tab?)

Why not just right click and choose 'open in new window'?

Because I belong to so many forums, I'd just like to simply click on a link and it opens a new tab, which some do and some don't. All I'm asking for is some consistency, so I don't have to keep remembering "Does this forum do it? Or not?".

Various countries grading scales. Thanks David

grades.jpg

Manx , Isle of Man coins

Mals - Isle of Man.

Thanks to geoffhobson

This site allows you to find the historic exchange rates for most major currencies back to 2004. Useful if you want to see what a coin sold via Heritage in 2002 would have cost in ££:

http://www.x-rates.com/historical/

It might not Apply to anyone here but some info on Fake Indian Gold mohur. The bit i noticed is the part where the Chinese fakers are now actually beating the coin a little so as not to create to mamy of the same scratches/lumps amd bumps

http://www.ngccoin.com//news/viewarticle.aspx?NewsletterNewsArticleID=2744&utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=14-NG-1584%20--%20NGC%20August%20eNewsletter%20(Actual%20Blast)&utm_content=&spMailingID=9265384&spUserID=MTI4MzA4NDIwNjUS1&spJobID=361800725&spReportId=MzYxODAwNzI1S0

I thought it my be useful to post this here:

GradingTable_zpsa5209d67.png

DO CGS HAVE A SEPERATE SCALE FOR PROOFS OF DO THE CLASS THE AS UNC 82, ETC

They have the same scale for proofs and currency issues, and no longer refer to the traditional abbreviation on the slab - so in your example it would simply be 'CGS 82'

Thank you

There's a giant flaw I've just noticed in the CGS scale. From VG to VF the score doubles for each grade - 10, 20, 40. The problem then is, it is only another 20 from VF to EF and again from EF to 'Choice UNC'. If they'd started at 5 for VG they could have avoided that. I.e., VG5 F10 VF20 EF40 UNC80.

Agree with that Peck, added to which they only ever use around 1/3 of the possible grade values from 1-100. And describing a circulation coin with 'FDC' (if only in the translation table) may be strictly ok, but just doesn't sound right!

Grades for choice coins are concertinered at the top end (using both CGS and Sheldon scales), resulting in 70 just not being quite good enough! To some it has to be a PCGS 70 Early Strike Ultra Cameo WINGS certified example (population joint finest known) :blink:

• Like 1

Agree with that Peck, added to which they only ever use around 1/3 of the possible grade values from 1-100. And describing a circulation coin with 'FDC' (if only in the translation table) may be strictly ok, but just doesn't sound right!

Grades for choice coins are concertinered at the top end (using both CGS and Sheldon scales), resulting in 70 just not being quite good enough! To some it has to be a PCGS 70 Early Strike Ultra Cameo WINGS certified example (population joint finest known) :blink:

In all probability, I'd grade that as some as struck modern tat.

And in 99% of cases, of course, it is! Glad I don't collect post 1946 :)

And in 99% of cases, of course, it is! Glad I don't collect post 1946 :)

That opens a veritable can of worms!

Anyone with a Liz II 50s halfcrown or florin that's given the CGS highest grade really has got something saleable - most of them are at best AUNC, and EF examples look as though they've just been to an all-night party, hit the ale hard, crawled into bed at 5AM and react very grumpily to having the curtains pulled back before midday. In fact, I would go so far as to say that finding absolutely 'as struck BU' examples are almost as difficult as finding UNC Edward VII silver.

• Like 1

Is this due to strike quality or that very few E2 coins were put by?

Is this due to strike quality or that very few E2 coins were put by?

Mostly due to poor design, I'd say - the halfcrowns especially have a very shallow design that started to wear the minute they were issued; the florins are a bit more of a mystery, being even harder to find (certain dates) yet not quite such a shallow design. Mind you, the florins did stay in circulation for 20 years longer than the halfcrowns.

It's also true that the 'new' Cupro-nickel coins were less popular anyway, so there may be something in them not being put by.

• Like 1

A fully searchable database from 1330-1550 of 64,000 names known to have migrated to the UK, might be useful to those researching family trees

http://www.englandsimmigrants.com

Free Download - Euro Catalogue (Feb 2015) 566 pages (in Spanish but lots of useful info)

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/upload/Eurocirculante%20FEB14.pdf