British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

azda

Useful links (members posts)

Members on the forum now and again post links to useful websites for reading or for other coin related matter. I hope i can start this thread just for links where people can post useful sites for other members, so here is the 1st site, all about forgeries.

www.forgerynetwork.com/Default.aspx

• Like 2

This should interest those of you using pound coins....

Coin handling equipment company, Willings Services Ltd, have posted on to the web a catalogue of the counterfeit one-pound coins they have identified PDF FORM

http://www.willings.co.uk/Cataloge%20fake%20types.pdf

And again, a little something on Pound coin fakes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1230900/Heads-tails-One-1-coins-fake-Today-40-counterfeit.html

Edited by azda

I posted this before on the 'previous' site and still find it useful (though they have reduced the information available for free).

CoinArchives.com lists recent auction information which you can search. If you need more than one term, link with 'and' (for example '1933 and penny') and see what comes up. I use it to check prices of coins and find pictures of things I might be interested in.

This site looks potentially useful. I think the prices may be somewhat out of date, but all the different types are listed sequentially.

http://www.bnta.net/members.php

British Numismatic Trade Association (Find a dealer near you)

Edited by azda

Thought I'd include two which I've posted elsewhere on the forum:-

list of UK coin dealers

diary of UK coinfairs

Useful link, that first one!

Unfortunately the second one is only of interest to hammered enthusiasts.

list of UK coin dealers

diary of UK coinfairs

Although it says "hammered coins", it does in fact list most or all UK coin fairs. Take a look.

list of UK coin dealers

diary of UK coinfairs

Although it says "hammered coins", it does in fact list most or all UK coin fairs. Take a look.

You're right - how confusing! (Unfortunately the Phoenix Fairs aren't listed, which are the only fairs in this part of the country)

list of UK coin dealers

diary of UK coinfairs

A useful link, but bear in mind that it isn't kept up to date regularly. For instance, World Coins (aka David Mason, aka MEGHAN) hasn't had a shop in Canterbury for about 5 years, ever since he decamped to Spain. Also, the last time I went to the Worthing Coin Shop was about 10 years ago and they had virtually nothing there and may not even exist now. The guy there looked incredulous when I went in and asked about his stock!!!

list of UK coin dealers

diary of UK coinfairs

You're right - how confusing! (Unfortunately the Phoenix Fairs aren't listed, which are the only fairs in this part of the country)

Well, if you think about it, not really. Most coin fairs will feature all types of coins, milled as well as hammered. Ergo: the diary is relevant to all enthusiasts.

list of UK coin dealers

diary of UK coinfairs

A useful link, but bear in mind that it isn't kept up to date regularly. For instance, World Coins (aka David Mason, aka MEGHAN) hasn't had a shop in Canterbury for about 5 years, ever since he decamped to Spain. Also, the last time I went to the Worthing Coin Shop was about 10 years ago and they had virtually nothing there and may not even exist now. The guy there looked incredulous when I went in and asked about his stock!!!

Yes, I suppose that's always going to be the problem with a list of that nature & length, Dave. They date very quickly as changes occur in the real world, whilst they stay frozen at a fixed point in time.

list of UK coin dealers

diary of UK coinfairs

Well, if you think about it, not really. Most coin fairs will feature all types of coins, milled as well as hammered. Ergo: the diary is relevant to all enthusiasts.

Ah, no, it wasn't the diary itself that is confusing 1949 - I meant the name! Why call it "Hammered" when it's relevant to all collectors?

A link to various European Grades as well as the American and the English equivilent

http://www.acadiacoins.com/educate.htm

Useful as I have several foreign catalogues

TVM

David

If anyone has links to add (coin related only please) then please feel free to add to this thread along with a short description of what the link is about.

I thought this one might be quite useful as it gives a definition of the MS grades, eg: MS63, MS70 etc

I thought this one might be quite useful as it gives a definition of the MS grades, eg: MS63, MS70 etc

Only up to a point. It might try to explain the Sheldon system in terms of US coins, but if you click on the link to the equivalent grades in other countries it gives AU50 as extremely fine or unc whilst EF40 is extremely fine. This is ebay grading standards. You might find someone on ebay willing to accept the comparison, but anyone with any grading ability who has held an EF40 in the hand wouldn't agree. You have usually got to go to a 64 minimum to get an UNC and even then it isn't guaranteed.

Only up to a point. It might try to explain the Sheldon system in terms of US coins, but if you click on the link to the equivalent grades in other countries it gives AU50 as extremely fine or unc whilst EF40 is extremely fine. This is ebay grading standards. You might find someone on ebay willing to accept the comparison, but anyone with any grading ability who has held an EF40 in the hand wouldn't agree. You have usually got to go to a 64 minimum to get an UNC and even then it isn't guaranteed.

I thought it would be useful for the occasional slabbed coin from the US, with an MS grading on it.

At any rate I wasn't familiar with the different MS definitions.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at to be honest :)