British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Russ777

Can someone identify this ancient coin ?

Can anyone identify this old Greek silver coin? Diameter roughly 2.8cms. Weighs 7.6g

I think the chap is Demetrius. i would be grateful for identification date and valuation

Thankyou Russ777

post-4483-127152121544_thumb.jpg

I now believe this to be a half shekel or shekel of Melquart's reign Greece. The date letter took like TM.

Could anyone help me with the date? Also mine seems a little larger than normal half shekels at 28mm and weighs a little more at 7.6g but does not weigh as much as the 14g of many shekels. If anyone could clear this up please let me know?

Or if you could point me to another place that can help identify ancient Greek coins

Thanks Russ777

Cast replica isn't it? I've got a couple of those somewhere. Origin unknown but they feel very light and the quality of the surfaces simply isn't up to how a real silver high relief Greek coin should look. From the images yours looks very rough too.

I now believe this to be a half shekel or shekel of Melquart's reign Greece. The date letter took like TM.

Could anyone help me with the date? Also mine seems a little larger than normal half shekels at 28mm and weighs a little more at 7.6g but does not weigh as much as the 14g of many shekels. If anyone could clear this up please let me know?

Or if you could point me to another place that can help identify ancient Greek coins

Thanks Russ777

It actually looks remarkably similar to my Philip tetradrachm (obverse Zeus, reverse eagle & prey). Can't quite make out the legend though - you able to shed any light? (I can read Greek, I just can't make out the lettering).

Not really. I showed it in another forum and they felt sure it was likely to be genuine as it looked worn rather than over smooth?

Also the chap I am handling it for said he had it checked over by a dealer and it was genuine so now I am confused.

Chris can you post a picture of yours so I can compare.

Is it not possible that wear/would make a coin lighter??

Regards Russ777

I have been informed the legend is Tyre. Is this 100% fake Chris?

Would they not have made more of an effort to make it smooth/perfect and mine has a couple cracks...

Maybe just a poor fake?

Regards Russ777

I have no idea where mine are!

From memory the bust was exactly the sme as that. I assumed that mine were simply replicas to sell to tourists or something along those lines, rather than intentionally deceptive. I'm no Greek expert though, so if someone that knows Greek coins well says that it's ok, then I'm sure it is.