British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
1949threepence

1918KN & 1919KN in EF

"Brown EF" ???

That's a new one on me.

Oh, and if that's EF, then I'm quite good looking...

The obverse is a lot worse than the reverse which shows the slightly odd pattern of wear on the side of the face but very little on the fingers which is usually the touchstone. I go GVF/NEF

Arguably the obverse condition is largely irrelevant on a coin where you are only interested in a small portion of the reverse but I think that given the current state of the market, the price may not be that optimistic sadly.

Edited by Red Riley

poor striking doesnt help, but i'm going for VF

The obverse is a lot worse than the reverse which shows the slightly odd pattern of wear on the side of the face but very little on the fingers which is usually the touchstone. I go GVF/NEF

Arguably the obverse condition is largely irrelevant on a coin where you are only interested in a small portion of the reverse but I think that given the current state of the market, the price may not be that optimistic sadly.

I go along with your grading Red. I would just add though - there's a lot more hair on that obverse than you often see on even EF examples of 1918-19H & KNs. Those dies took a hell of a beating, and sometimes there's very little hair to be seen at all, just a blur, while the rest of the coin looks pristine.

Just idly scanning through USA e bay, when I came across this delightful pair of beauties Price as a buy it now roughly £2,200 for both.

Not quite UNC, but given the extreme rarity of these coins at high grade, are they worth the asking price ?

Just as a matter of interest, this is now a re-listed item as the 1919KN only @ $2299.00, which at today's pound - dollar exchange rate of £1.5372, equates to £1495.58.

So rare at that grade, it might just be worth it.

Just idly scanning through USA e bay, when I came across this delightful pair of beauties Price as a buy it now roughly £2,200 for both.

Not quite UNC, but given the extreme rarity of these coins at high grade, are they worth the asking price ?

Just as a matter of interest, this is now a re-listed item as the 1919KN only @ $2299.00, which at today's pound - dollar exchange rate of £1.5372, equates to £1495.58.

I'm still far from convinced by that Unc rating by the seller. It looks no more than EF to me judging by Britannia's fingers on the trident and the hair on the portrait. If it really was Unc I'd be very interested in it, but right now I'm a bit ho hum (though I'd agree it is RARE even in EF).

I'm still far from convinced by that Unc rating by the seller. It looks no more than EF to me judging by Britannia's fingers on the trident and the hair on the portrait. If it really was Unc I'd be very interested in it, but right now I'm a bit ho hum (though I'd agree it is RARE even in EF).

Oh, it's definitely not uncirculated, hence my "EF" thread title. But I must say that I haven't even seen one advertised in EF before. Uncirculated would be amazing :blink: