British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
davidrj

1895 Penny

just bought this on ebay 1895widedate.jpg (seller's picture)

Wide date not listed in Michael Gouby's book

I'll post a higher res picture once I have it hand

Well spotted gap between 9 and 5.

Was there much bidding for it ?

my snipe was 20th bid .. £26

:rolleyes:

David

David

Just as a matter of interest David, was it touted by the vendor as a wide/unusual looking date, or just put up as an ordinary 1895 ?

David

Just as a matter of interest David, was it touted by the vendor as a wide/unusual looking date, or just put up as an ordinary 1895 ?

No just 1895 VICTORIA OLDHEAD PENNY ALMOST UNC

Yes - that whole series of pennies (1895 - 1901) is prone to some quite dramatic variations in the spacing of the last two digits. It's a little odd, considering that by the early 1880s they'd introduced electrical minting equipment that reduced the previous variations to almost nothing. In fact, you just don't see date width bun penny variations after 1883, so why it suddenly reappears after 1895, is puzzling.

Yes - that whole series of pennies (1895 - 1901) is prone to some quite dramatic variations in the spacing of the last two digits. It's a little odd, considering that by the early 1880s they'd introduced electrical minting equipment that reduced the previous variations to almost nothing. In fact, you just don't see date width bun penny variations after 1883, so why it suddenly reappears after 1895, is puzzling.

My thoughts too, all the wide date seem pretty scarce, I have a 96 and a 99 both fair, couldn't resist this one :rolleyes: whether they will attract a premium in future who knows

David

My thoughts too, all the wide date seem pretty scarce, I have a 96 and a 99 both fair, couldn't resist this one :rolleyes: whether they will attract a premium in future who knows

David

Yes I bought a Fair '99 from the 'Bay, only to find, when I stating trawling through a heap of Veil Head pennies taken from circulation late-60s, that I already had one, and had had it for around 40 years :lol:

David

Yes I bought a Fair '99 from the 'Bay, only to find, when I stating trawling through a heap of Veil Head pennies taken from circulation late-60s, that I already had one, and had had it for around 40 years :lol:

my 1897 Gouby reverse x (high sea) lived in a coffee jar of duplicates for 40 odd years!! Work is hectic at present, but after May I have promised myself time to sit down with Gouby's new book and trawl through the rest.

I'll post a higher res picture once I have it hand

1895widedatedetail.jpg