British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Rory

a few newbie questions

Hey, i was just looking over my coins and was wondering if the really tiny ones are worth investigating in terms of value. for example i have a couple of william II silver coins that are in really nice condition, but they are soooo tiny.

Also i remembered seing something about coins that have a lump on them from when they were made. Does this only make them worth loads of money if they are coins of interest or say for instance if i found this on a threepence, would it be rare and collectable?

One last question. With old copper coins that have become so dirty/worn/oxidised, is it ok to clean them somehow to try and reveal some of the features, and if you can, how should you go about doing it?

Whoever answers my abundance of questions will win my thanks ;)

Hi Rory,

No doubt someone will answer your other questions, but with specific regard to cleaning, let me say that this is an art form, which is not easily mastered. You can easily reduce value by cleaning if you are not extremely careful. Also, it is often very obvious when a coin has been cleaned.

I'd restrict yourself to wiping off any excess dirt/debris with a damp cloth and warm soapy water. Remember that's only for superficial dirt. You are not going to be able to get rid of a century old stain, for example, without radically altering the overall appearance of the coin, which is not desirable.

Edited by 1949threepence

Well, it's always better to post pictures, but since I'm on form tonight (ahem) I'll query whether you really mean William II (1087-1100) and if you do, how you know they are coins of his ?

If they are, then of course they are of interest, but I can't help thinking that what you might have (without pictures remember) are maundy coins of William IV.

Either way, the answer is yes, they are of interest, but enough of me, show us the goods....

charles II was king from 1660-1685 :rolleyes:

thought i was being awesome then, only to realise i did a brain fart, they arent william II coins like i said they were :lol:

I did type a horrible response, but then I deleted it - he'll notice in a minute I thought.

Humility is very attractive, there should be more of it.

So, where are the pictures man ?