British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1949threepence

1858 5 over 3 penny ~ how can you tell ?

One of the images below is listed as an 1858 5 over 3 overstrike, and the other a plain 1858. But quite honestly I can't tell the difference. Can anybody point me in the right direction & what points to look for. Cheers guys

post-4682-126976760463_thumb.jpgpost-4682-126976762739_thumb.jpg

One of the images below is listed as an 1858 5 over 3 overstrike, and the other a plain 1858. But quite honestly I can't tell the difference. Can anybody point me in the right direction & what points to look for. Cheers guys

I can't clearly see the dates on your images, so I've attached a link to

Michael Goubys listing of the various overdate types for the 1858 penny.

http://www.michael-coins.co.uk/cp_1858.htm

John

I can't clearly see the dates on your images, so I've attached a link to

Michael Goubys listing of the various overdate types for the 1858 penny.

http://www.michael-coins.co.uk/cp_1858.htm

John

Thanks Chingford. Never thought to look on Gouby's website.

The other 1858 overstrikes are very obvious, but the 8 over 3, is anything but IMO. As he says, 8 over ? what.....

The picture on the left was the coin i sold on ebay, i got this from a dealer and if the picture was large enough you'd see that the last 8 had clearly thicker lines

post-5057-126985747431_thumb.jpg

The picture on the left was the coin i sold on ebay, i got this from a dealer and if the picture was large enough you'd see that the last 8 had clearly thicker lines

Such is the problem with e bay images on occasions. A close up of the date is often needed.

I wasn't singling you out, by the way. Yours just happened to be about the best image of the several 1858 5/3 overstrikes that were on offer. I was merely using it as a comparison.

Incidentally, in all the above, I did of course mean 8/3, not 5 !!!

Hey its no problem, i would suggest that some of these error coins were not actually meant to be seen in the way they were made, hence the fact it might be harder to spot 1 error from another, and unless you know what you are looking for and or perhaps with a microscope, cameras not always point those errors out and i assume they are always better in the hand under closer examination. I will try and take another picture and post it here, as the one i uploaded had to be reduced and unfortunately i reduced it to much, so i'll take abother in the morning.

Hey its no problem, i would suggest that some of these error coins were not actually meant to be seen in the way they were made, hence the fact it might be harder to spot 1 error from another, and unless you know what you are looking for and or perhaps with a microscope, cameras not always point those errors out and i assume they are always better in the hand under closer examination. I will try and take another picture and post it here, as the one i uploaded had to be reduced and unfortunately i reduced it to much, so i'll take abother in the morning.

Cheers azda, I'll be interested to see it B)

Thanks for your time.

Am not sure it really helps, the camera i have can only get so near then goes pear shaped, i've taken a picture and just cut out around the date. I have looked at it through a glass/lupe and i can definately see the last 8 is thicker at the top right, hope the picture will show it

post-5057-126994440799_thumb.jpg

Am not sure it really helps, the camera i have can only get so near then goes pear shaped, i've taken a picture and just cut out around the date. I have looked at it through a glass/lupe and i can definately see the last 8 is thicker at the top right, hope the picture will show it

Yes, and I think it leans slightly more towards the 5, than the non overstrike examples.

Thanks azda. I really appreciate your time and effort. Hope others can possibly benefit from this too.

No problem, i'll be posting my other error coin on here tomorrow