British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest reluctant_numismatist

10 DM coins

N'abend allerseits,

Having spent a bit of time in Germany in the 70's/80's I fondly remember the 5,- DM coin:

post-5103-126869429645_thumb.jpg

post-5103-126869428463_thumb.jpg

But I don't have any recollection of a 10,- DM coin being in general circulation, am I therefore right in assuming that these were commemoratives for the olympic games in '72 only?

post-5103-12686943952_thumb.jpg

post-5103-126869441143_thumb.jpg

Yup, i think these are all commeratives, 1 year types

I used to see the 10 DM coins on the teller's counter in banks and would buy them and spend them. In fact it was the only time aside from spending a 100FF coin in France that I have ever spent silver coins. I like the idea of a mostly NCLT coin that you can spend for kicks if you want to, and the comments you get from some people like the shopkeeper in Munich that told me I must be silly for spending the 1972 Munich coins and not saving them.

it was the only time aside from spending a 100FF coin in France that I have ever spent silver coins.

Wow, that must have been like having a wagonwheel in your pocket! (Biscuit not actual...) I've a 10 and 50 FF, the latter being the largest coin in my collection at 4.1cm diameter:

post-5103-126877090866_thumb.jpg post-5103-126877095676_thumb.jpg

I've often wondered if you could actually spend these and what kind of reaction you'd get:

post-5103-126877102515_thumb.jpg

Or better still, present these at a branch of the Federal Reserve and ask for $15 in silver and gold coin....

post-5103-126877176798_thumb.jpg

(um, although that'd be a really bad deal by a factor of at least 10!)