British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Greetings once again, I am considering purchasing an 1839 shilling. There is a nice example coming up at auction but I have seen lower priced examples at apparently the same grade GEF on online coins. The auction house is a BNTA member, What do you think?

Greetings once again, I am considering purchasing an 1839 shilling. There is a nice example coming up at auction but I have seen lower priced examples at apparently the same grade GEF on online coins. The auction house is a BNTA member, What do you think?

Good evening.

There is such a thing as tactical pricing. If you are running an auction, what you want is competing interested bidders - good for you, good for the seller. So maybe what they do, is 'estimate' the price very close to the 'bargain' region, in the hope that watchers will think they may have finally found that elusive El Dorado, because let's face it, hope springs eternal doesn't it ?

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that if you think it's a good price at catalogue estimate, you haven't got a prayer of winning it because it's priced to create interest and there will be someone, somewhere who always seems to take it out of your reach..

BNTA member ? Only doing his job - remember, his job is to sell it for the best price he can - as long as he doesn't mis-describe it, caveat emptor.

I don't need to go and buy a fish do I ?

get a fish if you want, i'll just keep asking questions. I have been most happy with coins I have bought from auctions most of the time. They seem to be very accurately graded and reasonably priced. Whereas I have bought coins from dealers including BNTA members who seem to quite often neglect to mention edge knocks and nicks which are difficult to see in their photosmad.gif . The estimates seem fair to me they match spink prices when you add the commission.

I think the online coin for sale is a mistake since he has the GEF and an AUNC for £100 more. can't be right I think it must be a GVF I have written to him to make sure.

get a fish if you want, i'll just keep asking questions. I have been most happy with coins I have bought from auctions most of the time. They seem to be very accurately graded and reasonably priced. Whereas I have bought coins from dealers including BNTA members who seem to quite often neglect to mention edge knocks and nicks which are difficult to see in their photosmad.gif . The estimates seem fair to me they match spink prices when you add the commission.

I think the online coin for sale is a mistake since he has the GEF and an AUNC for £100 more. can't be right I think it must be a GVF I have written to him to make sure.

If you can't see a picture, and you think the price is too low - get suspicious. It may well be the grade in question, but there could be ugly toning, or maybe even cleaning. If you can, always try to inspect the coin and NEVER bid blind. As for dealers, make sure they have a 'no quibble' money-back guarantee.

Thanks Chaps. I bought that coin off Rendel and it is a real nice one I am pleased. I will post it on coin acquisitions when I get a camera.

I think many of the online coins look slightly overgraded, as well as overpriced. That's when a photo is even available. Good choice available though.

I think many of the online coins look slightly overgraded, as well as overpriced. That's when a photo is even available. Good choice available though.

Yes If you can point me to a seller who does not overgrade and overprice I would be grateful, it seems a bit of a minefield out there. Where do you buy your coins? If you don't mind me asking.

Yes If you can point me to a seller who does not overgrade and overprice I would be grateful, it seems a bit of a minefield out there. Where do you buy your coins? If you don't mind me asking.

Oh, they don't all do that. Many dealers are very punctilious in ensuring a fair grading and price. A few positively undergrade on some of their coins.

I mostly use e bay and some dealers I've got to know over the years. I have bought one coin from online coins (Cambridge coins), which was good value. Not saying that all the coins on there are overgraded/priced. It's just a general observation.

I mostly use e bay and some dealers I've got to know over the years. I have bought one coin from online coins (Cambridge coins), which was good value. Not saying that all the coins on there are overgraded/priced. It's just a general observation.

Credit where it's due, although I think I've bought very little from Cambridge Coins, I have generally thought their grading stood up to scrutiny. Run by a guy called Dave Allen who, as far as I know, is absolutely no relation!

Credit where it's due, although I think I've bought very little from Cambridge Coins, I have generally thought their grading stood up to scrutiny. Run by a guy called Dave Allen who, as far as I know, is absolutely no relation!

Well you're the undoubted expert on grading, Derek. I certainly wouldn't argue with your conclusions B)

Well you're the undoubted expert on grading, Derek. I certainly wouldn't argue with your conclusions B)

Dave and I are almost always in agreement on a coin's grade.

Cambridge coins seem to have disappeared from online coins.

Yeah, not sure where they've gone. I'm sure they were still there last time I looked (in February).

Yeah, not sure where they've gone. I'm sure they were still there last time I looked (in February).

He seems to be opening a new shop and setting up a new website. Not certain why this has stopped him listing on Online Coins though.

Edited by Red Riley

He seems to be opening a new shop and setting up a new website. Not certain why this has stopped him listing on Online Coins though.

I know the shop moved from Sandy to Bigglewade last year sometime.