British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Vitamin

How can I get a rough price idea for this set?

I have a set of coins I want to know the price for - it is a proof set of Krugerrand gold coins, 4 of them, in a presentation case, all good condition, created for the 30th anniversary in 1997.

Can anyone help me with the price, and how many were made - or point me to somewhere I could find out?

Thanks all.

First of all, the coins are all measured in ounces. You need to find the total number of ounces of gold in the set and then multiply that by the price og gold per ounce. Proof sets are usually worth a bit more than the value of the gold.

I don't have the value avaliable right now, but someone else on here might?

Thankyou for your reply. The four coins are 1oz + 1/2oz + 1/4oz + 1/10oz so that is just under 1 and 3/4oz - which at today's rate would be about £375 ? How does that sound?

How do I find out more about this Krugerrand set? I know this is a, primarily, British coin site but perhaps someone knows or can point me towards another site?

I have seen proof sets for sale at £700+ on Ebay and from dealers. Personally, I would wait until I get a second opinion from someone on this forum which won't take very long I HOPE. When we give you your valuation and you wanted to sell them then I would sell them through Ebay. :D

Don't encourage people to sell things through eBay! New users to eBay as well as people that don't usually sell coins seldom get the best prices for coins...Least of all Expensive sets like that one.

I'll get back later with mintage numbers and Krause valuation, unless someone beats me to it.

We don't know that he doesn't have an Ebay account though do we and that he isn't an experianced Ebayer.

Yes, I do have an ebay account but, no, I am not a particularly experienced or regular ebayer. And well done, you've pre-empted what would have been a future question - whether ebay was the best place to be selling such a collection.

From looking at some other postings here I realise that may be a contentious issue! But I have noticed that, so far as selling Krugerrands for their gold value are concerned, the ebay sell prices seem to be correct. Whether this set I have has a price very much above it's gold price is what is perhaps the issue to resolve.

Thankyou, again, for your input on this - I look forward to further posts.

Yes, I do have an ebay account but, no, I am not a particularly experienced or regular ebayer. And well done, you've pre-empted what would have been a future question - whether ebay was the best place to be selling such a collection.

From looking at some other postings here I realise that may be a contentious issue! But I have noticed that, so far as selling Krugerrands for their gold value are concerned, the ebay sell prices seem to be correct. Whether this set I have has a price very much above it's gold price is what is perhaps the issue to resolve.

Thankyou, again, for your input on this - I look forward to further posts.

well selling could be done through colin cooke, he has a range of foreign coins on sale...or even this site, but i do not know...eBay would probably be the easiest place to sell at, but your item may not reach its valued price... :)

Gold coins almost always reach their market price.

well selling could be done through colin cooke, he has a range of foreign coins on sale...or even this site, but i do not know...eBay would probably be the easiest place to sell at, but your item may not reach its valued price... :)

What do you mean through Colin Cooke, or this site.

Surely you mean: Selling could be done through this site (www.predecimal.com) or perhaps another reliable coin dealer like Colin Cooke, for example.

I'll gladly sell your set Vitamin, if you can get it to me fully insured, and will allow me 10% commission (which will include all ebay fees). I'll also knock up great pictures of it, and describe it thoroughly and accurately, in order to maximise its sale price.

Many people have sold through me, and all are satified.

Thats a good suggestion Chris! Chris would able to market it to its maximum potential if he sold it for you Vitamin. :D

Exactly....Don't underestimate the Predecimal power ;)

Coin Wars, the return of the Kruggerand ;):lol: lolololol

I don't think Vitamin trusts our judgement, he's posted the same thing over at Cooke I think. It would be a huge coincidence if two people wanted to sell two of these sets at the same time ;)

I don't know about Mr Cooke, but the only time I sell foreign stuff is either on commision basis, or when I end up with a few foreign bits after purchasing a collection.

I would imagine, like me, Colin probably concentrates on British stuff, so may not want to purchase the set outright. I don't know.

I think Colin would want to, he does have an Ebay account you know.

So does Chris you know <_<

Well it's up to Vitamin what he/she wants to do with the Kruggerand set.

So does Chris you know <_<

I know that, I was replying to a post stating that Colin Cooke may not want to buy the set. ;)