British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
sexto

rare? double sovereing 1887

Hello.

I am contacting you to inquire about this coin. 1887 double sovereign melbourne, victoria young.

all double sovereign of this date I have seen image victory jubilee, not victory young. the coin has the weight 15.98 grams and measures 29.2 mm in diameter. gold is good quality 22 karat.

thanks

coin

coin2

Forgery.

Not only is it an impossible coin, but it's also weakly struck, has badly formed letters and other slight give-aways. I wonder if it may be contemporary copy, or something a little older.

One of the big clues - if you can solve it (I can't) - is the M below the portrait; no two pound coins were struck in Melbourne, and anyway the M would be after the date. It COULD be the initial of the person who made it, to show it's not intended to pass for currency, but the design though authentic-looking is very weak. It's may have been impressed from a mould formed from actual coins. It doesn't look like a casting, but I suppose it could be.

Hello.

I am contacting you to inquire about this coin. 1887 double sovereign melbourne, victoria young.

all double sovereign of this date I have seen image victory jubilee, not victory young. the coin has the weight 15.98 grams and measures 29.2 mm in diameter. gold is good quality 22 karat.

thanks

coin

coin2

I can only agree with comments posted so far. The striking, if it is not cast, is weak, the lettering BP just looks wrong, the lettering is a slightly different font as the uprights are thinner than I would expect and the M is not at all like any of the other Ms on the sovereign or like the font for the S on the Sydney £2 ( 8 known). That said the size and weight are correct but how did you have the gold content assayed at 22ct. ? I would be interested in such a piece as a forgery but without provenance this must be recognised for what it is.

Hello.

thanks

coin

coin2

I can only agree with comments posted so far. The striking, if it is not cast, is weak, the lettering BP just looks wrong, the lettering is a slightly different font as the uprights are thinner than I would expect and the M is not at all like any of the other Ms on the sovereign or like the font for the S on the Sydney £2 ( 8 known). That said the size and weight are correct but how did you have the gold content assayed at 22ct. ? I would be interested in such a piece as a forgery but without provenance this must be recognised for what it is.

I got a large "Chocolate Coin" for xmas it was like this!! Young head Vic on a 67 Half penny reverse lol - The choclate was good though!

Well,

At the risk of making myself unpopular, I'm up like a Meerkat again over this post.

That coin is a forgery and any questions about it, or anything like it, ought to be met with utter silence in my opinion.

My thoughts, not forcing them on anyone.

Rgds,

That coin is a forgery and any questions about it, or anything like it, ought to be met with utter silence in my opinion.

If a MODERN forgery I would agree with you, absolutely. But if it's a 19th Century fake, then it's akin to the archaeologist who digs up 2000-year-old bones - it's intrinsically interesting. And I guess we don't know yet.

I think that more than a forgery is a medal. since it is obvious that he could not pass the original coin. There are methods to test the gold. for example the acid. thanks

I think that more than a forgery is a medal. since it is obvious that he could not pass the original coin. There are methods to test the gold. for example the acid. thanks

if you are interested in this sale for sale