British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
thedigger

Indian Head one cent USA coin 1881

Here i have an Indian Head One Cent coin dated 1881.

Its about the size of a British one pence piece of now.

What grading would you give this coin ?

Also is there any value to it?

cheers in advance :)

post-5018-1262876777_thumb.jpg

post-5018-1262876786_thumb.jpg

post-5018-1262876794_thumb.jpg

Is that pen marks accross the front of the coin? I'd say a VF+ to EF, i don't have a book for the year, so maybe someone else could answer that for you

Is that pen marks accross the front of the coin? I'd say a VF+ to EF, i don't have a book for the year, so maybe someone else could answer that for you

Azda, no unfortunately the marks are a cross and not a pen mark :(

Fine, but i think deep when looked through a mag-glass?

The scratch takes it down several notches in grading. That coin now is worth about a quid with the scratch.

Digger,

The coin has little or no value with the scratch on it...may $.75. It would only be a temporary "hole filler."

I'd have to agree with the others, i thought it was pen ink initally hence what i thought in grading

Digger,

The coin has little or no value with the scratch on it...may $.75. It would only be a temporary "hole filler."

Cheers RLC35, hopefully if someone wants it , it will do them a "turn" for the time being eh?

Really a shame that this coin has scratch in it.

39,208,000 of them were minted.

Really not point in trying to assign a grade to a coin which such a scratch in it.

Makes you wonder when it got scratched like that and why.

Mind sharing how you came about this coin and the other coins from the states you have been posting?

Ken

Really a shame that this coin has scratch in it.

39,208,000 of them were minted.

Really not point in trying to assign a grade to a coin which such a scratch in it.

Makes you wonder when it got scratched like that and why.

Mind sharing how you came about this coin and the other coins from the states you have been posting?

Ken

The scratch looks like it was a deliberate deface across the Indian Head for some reason?

I have inherited 2 collections.

Both collections have a large number of Foriegn coins in them.

I have 2 Nickels (5c) Indian Head 1937 and 1938 slabbed, take a looksy

I am not an expert but I have read that some people have concerns about coins slabbed by SGS.

Reports that if the same coin would be sent to either PCGS or NGC they coins would come back grades lower.

From the pics, these don't look like an high end slabbed coin.

Here is a picture of a PCGS slabbed buffalo nickel.

Ken

post-4592-1263128096_thumb.jpg

Not my personal choice to have coins slabbed in the first place, i'd rather feel the metal other than the plastic, this is the way i bought them, and i didn't pay to much so not a hughe loss, i have been thinking of selling them.

I am not an expert but I have read that some people have concerns about coins slabbed by SGS.

Reports that if the same coin would be sent to either PCGS or NGC they coins would come back grades lower.

From the pics, these don't look like an high end slabbed coin.

Here is a picture of a PCGS slabbed buffalo nickel.

Ken

Kena, That is an extremely well struck 1937 Buffalo nickel. Those nickels are usually not struck that well. Being a 3 legger, it is really scarce...but there are a lot of forgeries out there on that coin, so if you are buying it, make sure it is legitimate.

heh slabs, those are way out of my league, there are probably a few coins i would slab from my collection tbh but its not worth the hassle... they arn't worth the extra expense

ahh yes SGS... i have read the same things. i dont have slabbed but i have a couple of nice american indian head cents

974684.jpg

976656.jpg

these 2 are my best ones... cost me what £3 each? i cant remember it wasn't a lot.. the 76 is a key date and the 82 is high grade

i have a nice collection of wheaties, these are a bit harder toget.

heh slabs, those are way out of my league, there are probably a few coins i would slab from my collection tbh but its not worth the hassle... they arn't worth the extra expense

ahh yes SGS... i have read the same things. i dont have slabbed but i have a couple of nice american indian head cents

974684.jpg

976656.jpg

these 2 are my best ones... cost me what £3 each? i cant remember it wasn't a lot.. the 76 is a key date and the 82 is high grade

Scott, Those are nice Indian Heads! Especially the obverse of the 1882.

Kena, That is an extremely well struck 1937 Buffalo nickel. Those nickels are usually not struck that well. Being a 3 legger, it is really scarce...but there are a lot of forgeries out there on that coin, so if you are buying it, make sure it is legitimate.

The coin is well beyond my budget and if I could afford it, I would need to do alot of double checking.

Nice pair of Indian Head pennies. An 1876 for £3 was a very good purchase.