British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
thedigger

One Cent coin 1864 NEW BRUNSWICK?

I can not find anything on this and was wondering if anyone here could help identify this coin please?

Because it has Victoria on it im unsure if it is a British coin / token or a Colonial coin / token?

The front has Victoria (in poor condition)

The back has a wreath surrounding coin, at the top centre is the words ONE CENT

in the middle is a CROWN 1864

at the bottom is the words NEW BRUNSWICK

Any ideas please?

post-5018-1262875465_thumb.jpg

post-5018-1262875474_thumb.jpg

post-5018-1262875484_thumb.jpg

Hi Digger,

That is a Canadian coin from the Province of New Brunswick. It had a mintage of 1,000,000 with two varieties, a short 6 or a tall 6.

Yours appears to be the short 6 variety. The value is the same in lower grades though.

G-4 ;$4

VG-8 ;$7

F-12 ; $10

Hi Digger,

That is a Canadian coin from the Province of New Brunswick. It had a mintage of 1,000,000 with two varieties, a short 6 or a tall 6.

Yours appears to be the short 6 variety. The value is the same in lower grades though.

G-4 ;$4

VG-8 ;$7

F-12 ; $10

John,

Thank you very much for your valuable information

What grading would you put on this mate?

cheers

Hi Digger,

G-4 ;$4

VG-8 ;$7

F-12 ; $10

John,

Thank you very much for your valuable information

What grading would you put on this mate?

cheers

Hi Digger,I will quote from the Charlton Standard grading guide for the Victoria Portrait.

"F-12 The braid, along with the top knot design have lost sharpness. Braiding has begun to run together.

The two twists of the top knot are merging. The central leaves of the laurel wreath show wear.

VG-8 No design in braid around ear.

G-4 The braid, laurel wreath, top knot and facial features are worn through. Basically what is left of the

portrait design is a silhouette."

I am not a coin grader even when they are in my hand so you will have to do your own assesment based on the above info.

Hope this helps, John.

Hi Digger,I will quote from the Charlton Standard grading guide for the Victoria Portrait.

"F-12 The braid, along with the top knot design have lost sharpness. Braiding has begun to run together.

The two twists of the top knot are merging. The central leaves of the laurel wreath show wear.

VG-8 No design in braid around ear.

G-4 The braid, laurel wreath, top knot and facial features are worn through. Basically what is left of the

portrait design is a silhouette."

I am not a coin grader even when they are in my hand so you will have to do your own assesment based on the above info.

Hope this helps, John.

Yes mate thats brilliant,

when i get round to putting that up for sale do you think £2.00 / £3.00 is a fair price?

cheers

Yes Digger,I think it is about $2 Canadian per British pound so that should be fair.

Yes Digger,I think it is about $2 Canadian per British pound so that should be fair.

Thanks again for your info mate!