British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
demonik1

old pennies srap/or valuable

i recently cleared out a house and came across 2 money sacks full of old pennies, halfpennies, farthings and threepences. in all there is over 20kg of them, are they valuable or just for scrap ? none of the scrap yards my way want them and i dont know how to grade or rate them ! most seem pretty worn and date from 1800's to 1967... any ideas guys ?

does anyone know where to take them for scrap price ?

many thanks :)

i recently cleared out a house and came across 2 money sacks full of old pennies, halfpennies, farthings and threepences. in all there is over 20kg of them, are they valuable or just for scrap ? none of the scrap yards my way want them and i dont know how to grade or rate them ! most seem pretty worn and date from 1800's to 1967... any ideas guys ?

does anyone know where to take them for scrap price ?

many thanks :)

It's unlikely that there are any rarities among those, and I can't see many collectors wanting to sift it.

I have heard that the Royal Mint at Llantrisant are still paying face value to redeem pre-decimal coins, but I should think the cost of getting it all to Wales would be pretty steep. The highest value coin you have there is the 3d, which is about 1p face value, so I imagine the total face value is not very much. In fact, the metal value would be higher than that, but you say local scrap yards don't want it? More fool them - don't they know how much copper is fetching now? Getting scrap copper value is definitely your best hope.

ineed, but still go through them 1800's stuff usualy fetches something

If I were in Britain and not in Ukraine, I would buy them in a heartbeat. I have approximately 50kg of predecimal coinage floating about.

It's tragic that were suggesting melting these things - we are supposed to be coinies!

It wasnt too long ago Id have been delighted to get 20kg of pre-decimal to sort through, and that must go for thousands of new or potential collectors out there too - just got to find them.

uPut them on ebay as one lot - there's twice as many newbies now as there were 5 years ago...maybe even "Pick-up only" and get someone local?

one man's junk is another mans treasure, so save the junk, I say!

It's tragic that were suggesting melting these things - we are supposed to be coinies!

It wasnt too long ago Id have been delighted to get 20kg of pre-decimal to sort through, and that must go for thousands of new or potential collectors out there too - just got to find them.

uPut them on ebay as one lot - there's twice as many newbies now as there were 5 years ago...maybe even "Pick-up only" and get someone local?

As a former dealer myself, I can tell you that browsing through unending sacks of auction lots full of rubbish "on the off chance", does tend to alter your perspective somewhat. It reaches the point that you tell yourself that only something extremely rare would make all that waste of time worthwhile.

i hate sorting through stuff, but i have got lucky with bulk buys on ebay, found some pretty nice things in a good % of bulk buys

still worth a look through, use the key dates guide on the site and look for those.

Edited by scott

As a former dealer myself, I can tell you that browsing through unending sacks of auction lots full of rubbish "on the off chance", does tend to alter your perspective somewhat. It reaches the point that you tell yourself that only something extremely rare would make all that waste of time worthwhile.

I agree - no interest to a dealer, but there was a time when I had lots of gaps in my own collection, that the thought of being able to fill a lot of them in one hit would have seemed a lot of fun.

Maybe I'm still an anorak!

i hate sorting through stuff, but i have got lucky with bulk buys on ebay, found some pretty nice things in a good % of bulk buys

still worth a look through, use the key dates guide on the site and look for those.

Nothing will ever match the time I went to a coin fair where there was HUGE crate full of coins marked at "5 for £1" - the guy in charge said "that lot hasn't been sorted - you might find the odd thing in there". Well, not only was there some pre-1920 silver in there, I also found an 1888 sixpence GEF, and a 1951 brass 3d ABU !! THAT'll never happen again ...

heh nice, that might slightly top me 200k mintage EF 1939 rhodesia 3D then in an £8 200+ coin bulk buy :P

i should try and find boot sales and fairs and have a look through these, i have found these at 25p this year alone at my dealers

976362.jpg

964743.jpg

nothing like a good look. also going through the unpriced stuff brings gems, i have an absolutly gorgeous aEF 1885 japan 1 sen for £1.50

If someone were to saunter and sift through my 50kg of predec, they would find coins going back to William III. I pitched a whole bunch of early hapennies in there years ago.

If someone were to saunter and sift through my 50kg of predec, they would find coins going back to William III. I pitched a whole bunch of early hapennies in there years ago.

Pay my fare to Ukraine and I might just take you up on that!

I would think the Wee Scottie is a bit sharp...although I wouldn't Know a slender 3 or even an open 1903.....stuff you penny collectors the future is farthings. ;)

I would think the Wee Scottie is a bit sharp...although I wouldn't Know a slender 3 or even an open 1903.....stuff you penny collectors the future is farthings. ;)

Peter I agree ;):P:D

...stuff you penny collectors....

How very unseasonal Sir. :o

Pay my fare to Ukraine and I might just take you up on that!

Tomorrow I am in Frankfurt DE, then back to Ukraine. But the hoard is somewheres else entirely.

i just buy whats gorgeous, and anyway, farthing s are great :D, especially if you get some rare ones :D

and trying to find open3... urgh, and what exactly is the differance between a normal 3 and a slender 3 without a very very small differance?

Edited by scott

I may sound cheeky but i wouldn"t mind a couple of the coins as i"ve just started collecteing and i own nothing yet