British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Jamesred

Interseting 1847 Farthings

Hi All

I am just looking at 1847 tonight and have noticed a definite difference in the lettering of REG across 3 types.

I have masked the 3 for the first pic and the rest separately What do you think?

Actual coins will be on www.myfarthings.co.uk

I lined up on the colon !

post-449-1260042061_thumb.jpg

post-449-1260042131_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jamesred

Hi All

I am just looking at 1847 tonight and have noticed a definite difference in the lettering of REG across 3 types.

I have masked the 3 for the first pic and the rest separately What do you think?

Actual coins will be on www.myfarthings.co.uk

I lined up on the colon !

James,

The bottom REG, of the three you have shown separately, almost looks like an R over a B. Is it?

I dont think so, looking at the whole coin, there are a lot looking like that.

I have attached another 2 close ups, On BRITANNIAR only the First N and r appear to be OK, the rest like as you see.

The trident, arm of Britannia and the Thistle etc.. at the bottom also show signs of doubling up. So looks like its a whole re punch.

The Obverse is completely clear of any errors!

Look at the COLON to see what I mean

post-449-1260051611_thumb.jpg

post-449-1260051620_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jamesred

isn\'t this sort of thing common with farthings, its quite nice having an obvious misalignment though.

and off the subject of 1847

i have 1843 FID . rather then FID : its posted here, but i may have a very interesting repunch indeed for my latest arrival, my large date 1858.

975978.jpg

was acctually investigating the R in BRITTANIAR myself (the top of the R is acctually open there is no serif or bar up there) and spotted the repunch of a possible B over R in REG? so perhaps this was common quick fix?

1858farthing.jpg

Edited by scott

Most of my collection have these errors (speaking about young head farthings) and yes they are common. That why myself and Colin don't have them on our sites - I was talking originally about the misalignment of the letters in REG

isn\'t this sort of thing common with farthings, its quite nice having an obvious misalignment though.

and off the subject of 1847

i have 1843 FID . rather then FID : its posted here, but i may have a very interesting repunch indeed for my latest arrival, my large date 1858.

was acctually investigating the R in BRITTANIAR myself (the top of the R is acctually open there is no serif or bar up there) and spotted the repunch of a possible B over R in REG? so perhaps this was common quick fix?

B over R ?? What, short for BEGINA ??? :o

yea B over R.. not 100% due to the fact it looks normal without an visual aids, but that is quite clear.

i want thoughts on that, is it a new type :P

Edited by scott

yea B over R.. not 100% due to the fact it looks normal without an visual aids, but that is quite clear.

i want thoughts on that, is it a new type :P

My only thought is - if they already had an R (the correct letter), why would they overpunch it with an incorrect B?

havn't the foggiest, perhaps they used the wrong letter by mistake, but you can see there is a join at the bottom

Edited by scott

havn't the foggiest, perhaps they used the wrong letter by mistake, but you can see there is a join at the bottom

I think I can - but the picture is a bit blurred. Don't forget also, wear can make an unjoined letter look joined. Can you get it any sharper?

i cant, thats zoomed in off the image itself already, the smaller image shows the shape of a B though. if i could get it sharper i would, i might see if i can.