British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

also what is a uncirculated mint edition in case 1992 dot to dot 10p worth as my local coin dealer has one but is asking £12 for it. is it worth that???

There are only a few collectors of modern coins and varieties.To me it is worth 10p.

If you have been after this for a long time you must have some idea on rarity.

Personally,any coins in circulation of which varieties appear,I would getting bags of them from banks and picking out

the plums.

yes english was my worst subject but its maths that gets you by in this world.

To get your foot in the door it helps if the application is written in English. The number of letters I've received over the years asking if I had any job vacancies, but where the letter approximated to a random selection of English(?) words, beggars belief. If applicants can't be bothered to write in English, it doesn't matter how good their maths is because I wouldn't bother replying. Customers, particularly foreign ones, will almost invariably use good English and so replying in tones akin to the French policeman in 'Allo 'Allo isn't very helpful to an employer. Therein lies the real legacy of the education system in this country over the past few decades whereby people are allowed to write without correction of spelling or grammar.

To get your foot in the door it helps if the application is written in English. The number of letters I've received over the years asking if I had any job vacancies, but where the letter approximated to a random selection of English(?) words, beggars belief. If applicants can't be bothered to write in English, it doesn't matter how good their maths is because I wouldn't bother replying. Customers, particularly foreign ones, will almost invariably use good English and so replying in tones akin to the French policeman in 'Allo 'Allo isn't very helpful to an employer. Therein lies the real legacy of the education system in this country over the past few decades whereby people are allowed to write without correction of spelling or grammar.

I can't believe this Rob.I was poised to reply in a similar vein :) If der bitches (my teenage daughters) write or use text speak I chastise them.It's all good,random and the use of foul language when not required I just will not accept.(I do swear as much as a blind cobbler)but it must be for a good reason.Mrs Peter reversing out of our garage whilst messing around with my youngest and crashing into my car.Double damage..I did swear a bit....all her fault but she can't blame me for buying coins as and when I see fit. :)

The 3 R's are so important.I was a consultant for a very clever Mechanical/Electrical Project Manager who just could not pen a letter.I used to vet them all.Any jobs going ;) I will give you a very competitive rate.

Unless, of course, you are an English teacher.

Unless, of course, you are an English teacher.

Half of them seem to have English as a second language!

Funny I can remember this thread starting 3 years ago; I take a long break from here and it reappears now.

Just a pointless observation.

Funny I can remember this thread starting 3 years ago; I take a long break from here and it reappears now.

Just a pointless observation.

You also did not notice that this is no longer a coin forum but now a spelling bee.

The rarest coin currently IN general circulation, and issued FOR general circulation, surely has to be the 2009 Kew Gardens 50p, the mintage for which is 210,000.

mintages

The rarest coin currently IN general circulation, and issued FOR general circulation, surely has to be the 2009 Kew Gardens 50p, the mintage for which is 210,000.

mintages

Making it considerably more common than the 1951 penny, that well-known "rarity"! :D

hi only found this blog today so looked in my pocket and had 2 1992 10p and one was a dot to dot one, how much is it worth? and the other one the letters l,i,a were set inbetween the dots, is that rare? and also ive just been to the shop and in my change got a 1988 £1 with the sheild on what is the value of that one please.

i have had the 1988 £1 many times but never knew it was rare

I was putting the 1988's away.Then I got the complete 1988 BU set and another BU £ for a pittance so spent the circulated ones.There are over 7 million so they are not rare.

Circulated ones are rare in UNC !!!

Both are very important, but English carries more immediate cache than maths, to be honest. My personal hate is "could of", "should of", "would of", instead of "have". Also the possessive "it's" with an apostrophe. Not to mention those who write/type endlessly, without commas and full stops. So their sentence makes no sense. Talking of "there", don't confuse with "their" or "they're" Nor " your" with "you're".

As an example, look at the difference between "your shit" and "you're shit". Both mean entirely different things.

mintages

Making it considerably more common than the 1951 penny, that well-known "rarity"! :D

Even so, I've yet to see one in my change.

mintages

And I never ever found a 1951 penny in mine! But had NO difficulty at all getting one for my collection, from a dealer.

mintages

And I never ever found a 1951 penny in mine! But had NO difficulty at all getting one for my collection, from a dealer.

When they're still in circulation, most of the fun is finding one in your change. I never had that chance with pre-decimal. This one, and the £2 coins are my only possibilities to emulate that scenario. Even then a pale imitation of what you had on offer before decimalisation :(

mintages

When they're still in circulation, most of the fun is finding one in your change. I never had that chance with pre-decimal. This one, and the £2 coins are my only possibilities to emulate that scenario. Even then a pale imitation of what you had on offer before decimalisation :(

True. Nothing can describe the thrill of the moment I found a 1949 3d bit, realising my first ever 1926 penny was the ME, and finding the following halfpennies - 1909 GVF, 1935 EF lustre, 1938 Unc with/good lustre. If only I'd had the capital to get bags of silver from the banks as well as five bob bags of lower denominations. Sigh.

I have found several 2010 kew gardens coins in change (along with several undated 20p coins )

All have been sold except for the nicest 50p in a/unc which i a keeping as a keepsake. :D

I have found several 2010 kew gardens coins in change (along with several undated 20p coins )

All have been sold except for the nicest 50p in a/unc which i a keeping as a keepsake. :D

Welcome Copper123

You are very lucky to find those coins in change.

I have been looking for years,even the village PO checked for me.

The mint messed up on the mintage for Kew garden 50p's which has now been corrected.The damage was done and now Ebay prices are still too high.Well done on shifting the 20p's they will be worth £20 for the next 60 years (like 50,51 pennies....hyped)

Welcome Copper123

You are very lucky to find those coins in change.

I have been looking for years,even the village PO checked for me.

The mint messed up on the mintage for Kew garden 50p's which has now been corrected.The damage was done and now Ebay prices are still too high.Well done on shifting the 20p's they will be worth £20 for the next 60 years (like 50,51 pennies....hyped)

I to think there is nil investment potential in the undated 20p coins , the most i got for one was £70 which i took and reinvested via paypal in decent collectable coins.

I am happy to keep one of the kew gardens 50p coins though - it is really atractive and they will soon have all disappeared from circulation leaving few hanging about 210,000 mintage is really low for any modern coin .

If that london mint office had given the same publicity to the general public about the scarcity of these 50p coins the would it be worth £50 each now ????

Edited by copper123

You're lucky, I've not seen one as yet.

You're lucky, I've not seen one as yet.

I'm lucky, I've not seen one as yet. And to quote Catherine Tate... :D

I just surpose I am Lucky enough that my job involves lots of money handling and working in a big city.

(not london , thank god LOL)

I to think there is nil investment potential in the undated 20p coins , the most i got for one was £70 which i took and reinvested via paypal in decent collectable coins.

I am happy to keep one of the kew gardens 50p coins though - it is really atractive and they will soon have all disappeared from circulation leaving few hanging about 210,000 mintage is really low for any modern coin .

If that london mint office had given the same publicity to the general public about the scarcity of these 50p coins the would it be worth £50 each now ????

Prophetic!! ?