British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

isnt 1992 20p rarer?

but i havn't seen any of thse recently.. got a 1992 penny with some luistre the other day... it stuck to magnet.. i got annoyed

i might have some 1993 5p's around somehwere.. i end up with many 5p

Sorry Scott, I should have said, of the list of coins I gave above those are all dates when those coins were NOT released into circulation, they ONLY exist in the mint sets (you may find an escapee in circulation if you're lucky).

My point was, if you want rarer modern issues (ignoring commemoratives like fivers etc.) then years where that denomination was only released in a mint set is a good place to start.

e.g

1992 20p (either variety)

total in mint sets + total in proof sets + total in circulation = total mintage

however;

1993 5p

total in mint sets + total in proof sets = total mintage

better still;

1974 5p

total in proof sets = total mintage

(because there were no mint sets and none released for circulation, so the mintage is very much smaller, comparatively speaking).

isnt 1992 20p rarer?

but i havn't seen any of thse recently.. got a 1992 penny with some luistre the other day... it stuck to magnet.. i got annoyed

i might have some 1993 5p's around somehwere.. i end up with many 5p

Sorry Scott, I should have said, of the list of coins I gave above those are all dates when those coins were NOT released into circulation, they ONLY exist in the mint sets (you may find an escapee in circulation if you're lucky).

My point was, if you want rarer modern issues (ignoring commemoratives like fivers etc.) then years where that denomination was only released in a mint set is a good place to start.

e.g

1992 20p (either variety)

total in mint sets + total in proof sets + total in circulation = total mintage

however;

1993 5p

total in mint sets + total in proof sets = total mintage

better still;

1974 5p

total in proof sets = total mintage

(because there were no mint sets and none released for circulation, so the mintage is very much smaller, comparatively speaking).

Or best of all : 1972, where ONLY coins with that date can be found from the proof sets (excluding the Silver Wedding "25p" bauble which never circulated).

Or best of all : 1972, where ONLY coins with that date can be found from the proof sets (excluding the Silver Wedding "25p" bauble which never circulated).

I toyed with putting 1972 but went against it, I always presumed (and maybe wrongly since i've never seen mintage figures and i'm thinking common sense here, which doesn't always prevail) that the 1972 proof sets would have been produced in greater quantity than other 70s proof sets (1970 excepted!) due to the fact that no 1972 coins were struck for circulation, thus more demand for the sets? Birthdays and whatnot... just a thought.

Hi,

Why we're on this subject can anyone say how many 1984 1/2p coins were minted?

Not sure if they went into circulation though.

Terry

I toyed with putting 1972 but went against it, I always presumed (and maybe wrongly since i've never seen mintage figures and i'm thinking common sense here, which doesn't always prevail) that the 1972 proof sets would have been produced in greater quantity than other 70s proof sets (1970 excepted!) due to the fact that no 1972 coins were struck for circulation, thus more demand for the sets? Birthdays and whatnot... just a thought.

No, I believe the 1972 set is lower mintage than 1971? The Mint generally reacted to demand, and while demand was very high for 1970 and 1971, it dropped later. But clearly it was still high enough to produce more year sets. Somewhere, I do know there are mintage figures - in fact, possibly in CCGB from before Chris took it over?

Hi,

Why we're on this subject can anyone say how many 1984 1/2p coins were minted?

Not sure if they went into circulation though.

Terry

They didn't - they were only produced for the 1984 sets.

Edited by Peckris

So, after all the coins that have been mentioned above what is the answer to the original question.

"what is the rarest coin in a pocket of change"

I would say that the 2008 Brittania 50p with just 700,000 minted.

They are out there in circulation as I currently have 3 examples.

I would say that the 2008 Brittania 50p with just 700,000 minted.

They are out there in circulation as I currently have 3 examples.

Would say that it's pretty rare I should have said, but can't edit. =/

not the rarest though, i havn't seen a 1988 £1 for getting on for 5 years, and thats not even the rarest pound coin

i have that £2 coin, the first one is in circulation, but minting figures dotn exist

Edited by scott

The rarest coin in circulation has got to be that of a Scotsmans, right? ;-)

The rarest coin in circulation has got to be that of a Scotsmans, right? ;-)

Nah. Any coin that ever came into the possession of Rod Stewart ... though that may amount to the same thing? :lol:

I think the only 'coin' that Rod Stewart owns that he won't be giving away any time soon is a Penny... as in Penny Lancaster-Stewart =p

hi only found this blog today so looked in my pocket and had 2 1992 10p and one was a dot to dot one, how much is it worth? and the other one the letters l,i,a were set inbetween the dots, is that rare? and also ive just been to the shop and in my change got a 1988 £1 with the sheild on what is the value of that one please.

i have had the 1988 £1 many times but never knew it was rare

hi only found this blog today so looked in my pocket and had 2 1992 10p and one was a dot to dot one, how much is it worth? and the other one the letters l,i,a were set inbetween the dots, is that rare? and also ive just been to the shop and in my change got a 1988 £1 with the sheild on what is the value of that one please.

I was putting the 1988's away.Then I got the complete 1988 BU set and another BU £ for a pittance so spent the circulated ones.There are over 7 million so they are not rare.

I was putting the 1988's away.Then I got the complete 1988 BU set and another BU £ for a pittance so spent the circulated ones.There are over 7 million so they are not rare.

thanks i didnt think they was just saw someone say it on here but they do go on ebay for about £3 pound just had a look maybe you shouldent have spent your ones lol

ive been looking through my £1 coins and found a 2001 one with only half the T where it says ET on side of coin looks like a upsidedown L IS THAT RARE?

Either the long arm of coincidence is at work here, or our scott has got himself another account here! The coincidence is deepened by both of you being highly interested in 1992 10p varieties. Hmmmm. :ph34r:

it is coincidence

yes it just is. im new to collecting first blog ever been on i found this from a link from looking for rare coins in circulation and then saw the dot to dot 10p. only had 2 10p in my pocket one was a dot to dot and one was a between / between both 1992. so that got me intrested in them

i asked a guy on ebay about his and he said he would sell me his for £8 outside of ebay or £10 thru ebay for dot to dot and £5 between / between they surly cant be worth that much? does any one no what they realy go for???

also what is a uncirculated mint edition in case 1992 dot to dot 10p worth as my local coin dealer has one but is asking £12 for it. is it worth that???

also what is a uncirculated mint edition in case 1992 dot to dot 10p worth as my local coin dealer has one but is asking £12 for it. is it worth that???

To those who are interested (a small minority, I'm guessing), it's probably worth a lot more than that. It is said to be a very scarce variety.

I think the 2 Scott's went to the same school and probably bunked off their English lessons. ;)

I think the 2 Scott's went to the same school and probably bunked off their English lessons. ;)

:lol: