British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Undated doesn't count in this as it has been collected up by the royal mint

<_<

I think it is a 50p or a 2 pounds as they have lowly produced specails

For a coin that is currently in circulation then it is a 1988 £1 (Royal Shield) with a mintage of 7,118,825.

nope, 2008 pounds are rarer in mintage.

rarest is the NI commonwealth games £2

485,500 mintage

And the undated 20p's are not, and have bever been collected back by the Royal Mint. They were purchased by a private company that like to sound as if they have some affiliation with the Royal Mint!!! I have to tell people this a lot. The Royal mint confirmed that they had made the mistake, but they had no interest in calling them in.

485,500 mintage

I told you it was a 50p or £2

I'm still having trouble finding and example of the dot to dot 1992 10 pence and the 20 pence of that year with the earlier (smaller) effigy. I am beginning to think that the only way will be to go to the bank and search through bags full of change to find them. They certainly don't turn up in the pocket!!

I was going to say the 1983 2 new pence but as they were supposedly only put into sets I guess it doesn't really count.

i have a dot to dot 1992 10p and 2 of the small head 1992 20p

80's-90's 20ps are hard to get nowadays

970769.jpg

got this one a few months back, have to say i'm pleased lol

968042.jpg

485,500 mintage

I wasn't listing varieties as the OP didn't ask about those, and as for the 2008 £1 then some thirty plus million of those have been produced. How many £5 coins have been produced as those are listed as circulation coinage.

but those do count, there were 3,910,000 royal arms £1 in 2008 (thats the old type)

no £5 were made for circulation.

and the commonwealth games variertys were all issed for circulation so those stand

Although strictly speaking they are not currency coins as they were displaced by the smaller versions, there are varieties of the large 10p pieces that make the 1992 varieties positively laughable. I'm talking REALLY rare. They were all documented by Ron Stafford in the 70s and 80s, and would make going through your large ten pences a worthwhile exercise. Or it would do, except that as with the 1992s, not many people are interested and there isn't any real market for 'em.

there is that 2nd type of 2006 10p, though. but yea dont worry about those.. yet lol

would the 1992 small head 20 be a mule of sorts? using 1991 dyes instead of the updated?

but those do count, there were 3,910,000 royal arms £1 in 2008 (thats the old type)

no £5 were made for circulation.

and the commonwealth games variertys were all issed for circulation so those stand

I wasn't discussing varieties and according to the Royal Mint, £5 coins are legal tender.

yes they are legal tender but they wern't minted for circulation and therfore you can judge rarity.

if you want to include £5 coins, this one is worth the most

963642.jpg

whether there were less of these minted then any other coin though..

Edited by scott

I wasn't discussing varieties and according to the Royal Mint, £5 coins are legal tender.

Edited by Chingford

963642.jpg

Is that the Millenium one minted at the Dome? I've got 2 of those in packs that i'm hanging on to because of the dome mintmark......Has to be scarce.

Can't really call that (or any £5 coin) a circulation coin though. I wonder how many of those they made with the dome mintmark. Good one for me too, as my family come from around there and I lived in the London Borough of Greenwich.

Without looking I believe some of the old 50ps had fairly low mintages. 1985?

i have a 1985 50p :P

only 682,103 of those minted but those are not in circulation anymore

but its still lower then the rarest commonwealth games £2

if you count old 50ps then the 109,000 1992 one would be it.

i have a 1985 50p :P

only 682,103 of those minted but those are not in circulation anymore

but its still lower then the rarest commonwealth games £2

if you count old 50ps then the 109,000 1992 one would be it.

I have a 1985 set - I suppose the 50p is identical, yes?

I have a 1985 set - I suppose the 50p is identical, yes?

I presume so. Of course I was just considering coins that could be found in circulation (excluding mint sets). If you did want to included mint set coins, then it's pretty obvious that years where coins were only issued in the mint sets are automatically scarcer. The 'silver' of the 1982, 1983, 1984 years and all the 10ps and 50ps from the 1986-1991 era.

Some individual coins that spring to mind;

1984 halfpennies

1986 20p

1992 2p bronze

1992 1p bronze

1993 10p

1993 5p

1999 pound

1999 10p

Also look out for bronze or copper plated steel versions of 1998 twopences (1999 proofs are bronze too).

isnt 1992 20p rarer?

but i havn't seen any of thse recently.. got a 1992 penny with some luistre the other day... it stuck to magnet.. i got annoyed

i might have some 1993 5p's around somehwere.. i end up with many 5p