British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
DaveG38

1911 Shillings

Help, I'm confused dot com! My latest version of CCGB is 2007 (I buy one every few years) and I have been checking out the details of the 1911 shilling. According to Davies, there are 3 obverse and 1 reverse for this year giving 1+A, 2+A and 3+A types. According to CCGB2007 (and earlier issues e.g. 1998 and 1990) the 1911 shilling comes as 2 obverse and 2 reverses all fully meshed to give 1+A, 1+B, 2+A and 2+B. However, the differentiator for the reverses is the pointing of the 'I' in 'GEORGIVS.' The problem is that this inscription appears on the obverse NOT the reverse, so my questions are:

1) Are there 4 obverses based on the combinations of hollow/flat neck and 'I' to a bead/space or just the 3 reported by Davies? If Davies, the non-existent one is the flat neck with 'I' to a space combination. Anybody got one?

2) Are there any reverse die types other than A that anybody knows about? If so what are they paired with?

3) Is this error put right in later CCGBs?

DaveG38

Good points! I've checked and the 2009 edition still refers to the GEORGIUS being on the reverse! I'll check and see what was originally meant and will out that right for 2010.

Help, I'm confused dot com! My latest version of CCGB is 2007 (I buy one every few years) and I have been checking out the details of the 1911 shilling. According to Davies, there are 3 obverse and 1 reverse for this year giving 1+A, 2+A and 3+A types. According to CCGB2007 (and earlier issues e.g. 1998 and 1990) the 1911 shilling comes as 2 obverse and 2 reverses all fully meshed to give 1+A, 1+B, 2+A and 2+B. However, the differentiator for the reverses is the pointing of the 'I' in 'GEORGIVS.' The problem is that this inscription appears on the obverse NOT the reverse, so my questions are:

1) Are there 4 obverses based on the combinations of hollow/flat neck and 'I' to a bead/space or just the 3 reported by Davies? If Davies, the non-existent one is the flat neck with 'I' to a space combination. Anybody got one?

2) Are there any reverse die types other than A that anybody knows about? If so what are they paired with?

DaveG38

I've only got the three Davies Obverse in the currency pieces. There would be four Obverses in the proof range if you incluse the Obv3 square and chamferred rim. I only have the two Obv3 proofs, Obv1 and Obv2 are both speculartive.

Gary

Davies confirms Staffords and Salzmans earlier findings. Obverse 4 (174 bt, Full neck, I of GEORGIVS to space) didn't turn up untill 1920.

this is indeed a interesting topic.

as a shilling guy i will see.

1911ShillingsHLFR.jpg

Hollow neck 2+A to the Left (Davies 1791)

Flat neck 3+A to the Right (Davies 1792)

see the difference?

3+A is scarcer...get into microvarieties - it's the last area you can still do proper treasure hunting...

1911ShillingsHLFR.jpg

see the difference?

3+A is scarcer...get into microvarieties - it's the last area you can still do proper treasure hunting...

P'raps it's just the picture, but the one on the left doesn't look much like a hollow neck to me.

1911ShillingsHLFR.jpg

see the difference?

P'raps it's just the picture, but the one on the left doesn't look much like a hollow neck to me.

Here's a hollow neck 1+A (Davies 1790).

DaveG38

copyright?

Spink has nothing to say... its jst beside me and i checked