British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

DaveG38

Coin Monthly Magazine

On 9/13/2019 at 9:49 PM, DaveG38 said:

I have considered the idea of digitising the entire series of Coin Monthly and publishing them online for collectors to use. It's a hell of a task, and one that I would be happy to do (slowly) if I could be sure that there are no copyright issues. Unfortunately, when I tried to establish ownership of the copyright that proved to be a very tricky task, and so I abandioned the idea, even though I believe it would be very worthwhile.

Just going back to this and relating to something I heard on the World Service a week or two back, when I woke up and couldn't get back off to sleep. I suddenly remembered it today, and thought I would investigate. Absolute sod to find, and copyright law is fiendishly complicated, but fortunately I did find a small paragraph in a wikipedia article which related back to the bit that I heard - the article is here

It relates to the possibility of digitising written works being exempt from copyright law. Apologies if you already know and have discounted it. This is the extract:-

Digital copies[edit]

In 2014 (updated 2015) the Intellectual Property Office issued an advice notice, which said, in part:[26]

according to the Court of Justice of the European Union which has effect in UK law, copyright can only subsist in subject matter that is original in the sense that it is the author’s own ‘intellectual creation’. Given this criteria, it seems unlikely that what is merely a retouched, digitised image of an older work can be considered as ‘original’. This is because there will generally be minimal scope for a creator to exercise free and creative choices if their aim is simply to make a faithful reproduction of an existing work.

• Like 1

This lot of Coin Monthly coming up at auction on Saturday in Cornwall, in case it is of interest to anyone...

https://www.easyliveauction.com/catalogue/lot/1eee8a64e32322313fc16434e8672283/0af8d24542e81eb9357e7ef448a6646f/general-antiques-and-collectables-lot-355/

The auction description doesn't mention which magazines they are - do you have detailed knowledge ?

9 hours ago, secret santa said:

The auction description doesn't mention which magazines they are - do you have detailed knowledge ?

No sadly not - all I have is the picture. A quick phone call or email should get what you need.

I think the top one is March 1968. I'd bet most are from that era.

Most in the early seventies were really good  73-74-75- when you look back on it the mag died a really sad and lonely death didn't it

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Most in the early seventies were really good  73-74-75- when you look back on it the mag died a really sad and lonely death didn't it

I wonder if they considered going to once a quarter, instead of monthly. 

Of course, if they had found some means to survive and continue, they'd have experienced a definite renaissance as the internet age got underway.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I wonder if they considered going to once a quarter, instead of monthly. 

Of course, if they had found some means to survive and continue, they'd have experienced a definite renaissance as the internet age got underway.

In the early 1980s they went to fortnightly for a while, then reverted back to monthly. I would assume from this that this was their peak sales period, but that fortnightly just didn't work out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaveG38 said:

In the early 1980s they went to fortnightly for a while, then reverted back to monthly. I would assume from this that this was their peak sales period, but that fortnightly just didn't work out.

Yes, 79 - 81 was a boom time for coins, then entering a long period of stagnation which only began to end around the time Spink took over Seaby, and Coincraft brought out their catalogue.