British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

DaveG38

Coin Monthly Magazine

Hi Everybody,

Does any body know when the Coin Monthly mag ceased publication? I know when it started and I have got most of the 1970s issues plus plenty from the 1980s. When it comes to the 90s, I have a few from 1991 and 1992, but its pretty obvious from the contents that they were getting very thin and were obviously running out of steam. So can anybody help with a final date or volume/issue number?

Thanks.

Hi Everybody,

Does any body know when the Coin Monthly mag ceased publication? I know when it started and I have got most of the 1970s issues plus plenty from the 1980s. When it comes to the 90s, I have a few from 1991 and 1992, but its pretty obvious from the contents that they were getting very thin and were obviously running out of steam. So can anybody help with a final date or volume/issue number?

Thanks.

Not really, but I have this from Philip Mussell (Coin News) :

"...we started the COIN NEWS YEARBOOK in 1994 and dropped the word NEWS and adopted the blue pages in 1997 – after the demise of COIN MONTHLY and the other YEARBOOK..."

Whether that means that CM packed up in 1997, I am unsure.

By the way, I have a few issues from 1968 and most from 1969.

It finished in 1992. I have Jan and Feb '92. Which ones do you have?

I have a large number of duplicates. Let me know which ones you are missing and I will send them to you (if I have them) for the price of the postage, or you could pick them up if you want (J6 M25).

It finished in 1992. I have Jan and Feb '92. Which ones do you have?

I have a large number of duplicates. Let me know which ones you are missing and I will send them to you (if I have them) for the price of the postage, or you could pick them up if you want (J6 M25).

I have a copy of COIN 1989 year book published by coin monthly if it of any use.

Gary

On this subject, if anyone has a Seabys Standard Catalogue from the mid-1970s that they don't want, can they let me know? (I'm making a study of coin prices - I have the 60s, and 80s to Noughties pretty well sewn up, but the only 1970s listings I have are the Coin Monthly blue pages for 1979. After decimalisation - from around 1974 - as modern coin prices collapsed, earlier coin prices passed them on the way up. It's this fascinating period I'm trying to cover.)

It was still going when I first became interested in coins in 1990, but as was said earlier, it wasn't very comprehensive. I think it packed in in about June of 1992.

There was a real stagnant period for British coins, from the mid-80s to the mid-90s, with a serious economic recession falling right in the middle of that. It looks likely that Coin Monthly was a victim of that "double whammy" and that if it had managed to hold on for a while longer, would now be enjoying an upsurge.

It was published by The Numismatic Publishing Co of Brentwood Essex if my memory serves. I suppose it was they who went bust?

There was a real stagnant period for British coins, from the mid-80s to the mid-90s, with a serious economic recession falling right in the middle of that. It looks likely that Coin Monthly was a victim of that "double whammy" and that if it had managed to hold on for a while longer, would now be enjoying an upsurge.

It was published by The Numismatic Publishing Co of Brentwood Essex if my memory serves. I suppose it was they who went bust?

Peck

Email sent regarding the 1915 1/4d & Seaby 1972....thats if you didn't recieve it

Peck

Email sent regarding the 1915 1/4d & Seaby 1972....thats if you didn't recieve it

Oh yes! Thanks Peter (I didn't recognise the email address, but yes I got it, having just checked).

On 11/29/2009 at 6:01 PM, DaveG38 said:

Hi Everybody,

Thanks.

I'm buying back copies of Coin Monthly from e bay and Amazon, and building up a collection. Some incredibly interesting and useful articles to browse through. From 1969 onwards it's easy to get full years. But December 1968 backwards, it's more patchy. The earliest one I've seen on offer is July 1967. 

So what precise date did it start - Dave or anyone?

Thanks in advance.

32 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I'm buying back copies of Coin Monthly from e bay and Amazon, and building up a collection. Some incredibly interesting and useful articles to browse through. From 1969 onwards it's easy to get full years. But December 1968 backwards, it's more patchy. The earliest one I've seen on offer is July 1967. 

So what precise date did it start - Dave or anyone?

Thanks in advance.

From memory, I think the first issue was about November 1966. If you are interested, I have quite a lot of spares, where I purchased bulk lots to complete the set, and have many duplicates.

1 hour ago, DaveG38 said:

From memory, I think the first issue was about November 1966. If you are interested, I have quite a lot of spares, where I purchased bulk lots to complete the set, and have many duplicates.

Thanks Dave - if by some remote chance you have a spare first and second issue, from November and December 1966, plus the following:-

From 1967

January, February, March, April, May, June, September

From 1968

March, May, September.

Once again thanks for any of the above you might hold as spares.   

ETA: if you do, let me know what you want for them.

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Thanks Dave - if by some remote chance you have a spare first and second issue, from November and December 1966, plus the following:-

From 1967

January, February, March, April, May, June, September

From 1968

March, May, September.

Once again thanks for any of the above you might hold as spares.   

ETA: if you do, let me know what you want for them.

I've only got 12/66 and 01/67 I'm afraid. Most of my spares seem to cover the 1980s and 1990s. If you PM me your name and address, I'll send these two on. No charge. I'm happy to see a couple leave my crowded cupboard!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveG38 said:

I've only got 12/66 and 01/67 I'm afraid. Most of my spares seem to cover the 1980s and 1990s. If you PM me your name and address, I'll send these two on. No charge. I'm happy to see a couple leave my crowded cupboard!

Thanks Dave - PM sent.

My understanding is that November or December 1966 was the first issue (depending whether you take the issue date or the cover date).

I believe it finished just before the mid-90s but sorry I don't have more information than that.

Edited by Peckris 2

Of course, the actual question of when the last edition of the old Coin Monthly was issued, has still not been finally settled. We know for certain that it was no earlier than some point in 1992, but how much later is in some doubt. Unfortunately the latest Coin Monthly I have seen for sale, was May 1987. Nothing after that. Although I have seen a Coin Yearbook  (from the makers of Coin Monthly for 1991, whilst the earliest Coin News yearbook I've seen is for 1994.

Intrigued, I e mailed Token Publishing to see if they could cast any light on the issue, and I received this reply from a director (I think he may be editor as well):-

Phil Mussell <phil@tokenpublishing.com>
Mon 09/09/2019 14:54

Sorry Mr Hopkins we didn’t really keep track of the opposition, one minute they were there the next they’d vanished, I would suggest 1995 is probably about right but I couldn’t say categorically.

Kind Regards

Philip Mussell

Director

Token Publishing Ltd

40 Southernhay East

Exeter

EX1 1PE

So they don't know either. It all remains a bit of a mystery. But I will keep on the case. 

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Of course, the actual question of when the last edition of the old Coin Monthly was issued, has still not been finally settled. We know for certain that it was no earlier than some point in 1992, but how much later is in some doubt. Unfortunately the latest Coin Monthly I have seen for sale, was May 1987. Nothing after that. Although I have seen a Coin Yearbook  (from the makers of Coin Monthly for 1991, whilst the earliest Coin News yearbook I've seen is for 1994.

Intrigued, I e mailed Token Publishing to see if they could cast any light on the issue, and I received this reply from a director (I think he may be editor as well):-

So they don't know either. It all remains a bit of a mystery. But I will keep on the case. 

As I think I said earlier, the last one I have is Feb 1992. I've never seen anything newer. A few years ago, I knew a lady who used to proof read for the magazine, but sadly she couldn't help either.

• Like 1

This also from Philip Mussell, back in 2009:

Further to your enquiries I can confirm that the current COIN YEARBOOK is in no way connected to Coin Monthly – we started the COIN NEWS YEARBOOK in 1994 and dropped the word NEWS and adopted the blue pages in 1997 – after the demise of COIN MONTHLY and the other YEARBOOK. We have never been connected to COIN MONTHLY although were approached with a view to us purchasing the title, we declined.

This implies that Coin Monthly was still going in 1994, or at least the Year Book, possibly as late as 1996?

23 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

This also from Philip Mussell, back in 2009:

Further to your enquiries I can confirm that the current COIN YEARBOOK is in no way connected to Coin Monthly – we started the COIN NEWS YEARBOOK in 1994 and dropped the word NEWS and adopted the blue pages in 1997 – after the demise of COIN MONTHLY and the other YEARBOOK. We have never been connected to COIN MONTHLY although were approached with a view to us purchasing the title, we declined.

This implies that Coin Monthly was still going in 1994, or at least the Year Book, possibly as late as 1996?

Was that in response to an enquiry made by you, Chris?

Although there is no connection, there are certain similarities between the two entities.

Anyway, out of interest, I'll keep on trying to find out. At some point, later editions of either the magazine or yearbook will present themselves. If the very last magazine is flagged up as such, as last editions often are, we'll know for sure. But if not, we'll probably never know, unless somebody reads this and definitely does know that final date.        

2 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Was that in response to an enquiry made by you, Chris?

Although there is no connection, there are certain similarities between the two entities.

Anyway, out of interest, I'll keep on trying to find out. At some point, later editions of either the magazine or yearbook will present themselves. If the very last magazine is flagged up as such, as last editions often are, we'll know for sure. But if not, we'll probably never know, unless somebody reads this and definitely does know that final date.        

Yes - I was planning to create a Wikipedia page on UK coin magazines and annuals but it never came to fruition. (I still have the research I did). Mr Mussell went to great lengths to tell me that THEIR blue pages were not connected to the CM year book, but methinks he did protest too much! Same name, same blue pages...

7 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Yes - I was planning to create a Wikipedia page on UK coin magazines and annuals but it never came to fruition. (I still have the research I did). Mr Mussell went to great lengths to tell me that THEIR blue pages were not connected to the CM year book, but methinks he did protest too much! Same name, same blue pages...

Pity. That would have been a very useful resource.

As you say, he was unusually emphatic in his response. Moreover, if they were approached with a view to buying the CM title, that would suggest he might now have forgotten a very relevant date he once knew............possibly.....maybe.......buried deep in the archives.

12 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Pity. That would have been a very useful resource.

As you say, he was unusually emphatic in his response. Moreover, if they were approached with a view to buying the CM title, that would suggest he might now have forgotten a very relevant date he once knew............possibly.....maybe.......buried deep in the archives.

True. Though it's also possible he was approached before CM folded (i.e. due to their financial difficulties) or even after (with a view to resuscitating the title)?

I may still do that Wiki page sometime! Though I'd post it here first to get members' views and any necessary corrections.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

True. Though it's also possible he was approached before CM folded (i.e. due to their financial difficulties) or even after (with a view to resuscitating the title)?

I may still do that Wiki page sometime! Though I'd post it here first to get members' views and any necessary corrections.

That'd be a great project. 

• Like 1

I have considered the idea of digitising the entire series of Coin Monthly and publishing them online for collectors to use. It's a hell of a task, and one that I would be happy to do (slowly) if I could be sure that there are no copyright issues. Unfortunately, when I tried to establish ownership of the copyright that proved to be a very tricky task, and so I abandioned the idea, even though I believe it would be very worthwhile.

Edited by DaveG38
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

I have considered the idea of digitising the entire series of Coin Monthly and publishing them online for collectors to use. It's a hell of a task, and one that I would be happy to do (slowly) if i could be sure that there are no copyright issues. Unfortunately, when I tried to establish ownership of the copyright that proved to be a very tricky task, and so I abandioned the idea, even though I believe it would be very worthwhile.

The publishers were an outfit in Essex, no longer in existence? I note from the Booksie site that a Ralf Dunn published the first of a new magazine 'Coin Monthly' a couple of years ago. Perhaps he bought the rights to the name? Or didn't know there used to be a magazine that name? I haven't looked into that any further.