British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
rolling

Two more coins 1940 DE and 1939

Can someone offer their opinion on these two coins please?

The first one is 1940 Penny- is it the double exergue type??

post-4672-1258526576_thumb.jpg

The second coin is 1939 Penny, the second 9 in the date seems to be slightly different from the first, it is on the left curve.

post-4672-1258526817_thumb.jpg

Re 1940 penny, you'd probably need to post a close-up of the exergue line. When you know whay you're looking for, it's quite obvious - all pre-1940 pennies by the way, are single line and all post-1940s double line, so you can compare say a 1937 and a 1948 to establish the difference. If my memory serves me correctly, the single line is the scarcer by some way.

The second coin is 1939 Penny, the second 9 in the date seems to be slightly different from the first, it is on the left curve.

Reference the 1940 penny, it certainly looks like a double exergue line type, but it may be the way the light strikes it that makes it appear so. The other test that you can try in hand, but isn't visible in the picture, is to check whether the waves above the line actually sit on the line or are slightly above it. If on it, then its a single exergue type. If above it then its a double.

Now the 1939 is interesting, but not for the reason you have posted. Basically, there are two minor types of 1939 penny, one where the second '9' tapers to a point and one where it has a rounded end. Yours appears to be rounded, as it seems to differ from the first '9' which is pointed. Assuming my interpretation of the photos is correct, then yours is a rounded '9' type which is rather scarcer than the pointed '9'. However, it may just be that wear makes it look thatw ay - you need to judge it in hand to be sure.

Reference the 1940 penny, it certainly looks like a double exergue line type, but it may be the way the light strikes it that makes it appear so. The other test that you can try in hand, but isn't visible in the picture, is to check whether the waves above the line actually sit on the line or are slightly above it. If on it, then its a single exergue type. If above it then its a double.

Now the 1939 is interesting, but not for the reason you have posted. Basically, there are two minor types of 1939 penny, one where the second '9' tapers to a point and one where it has a rounded end. Yours appears to be rounded, as it seems to differ from the first '9' which is pointed. Assuming my interpretation of the photos is correct, then yours is a rounded '9' type which is rather scarcer than the pointed '9'. However, it may just be that wear makes it look thatw ay - you need to judge it in hand to be sure.

The waves are above, I am going to scan the coin again and try to dim it slightly to see if that shows it better. The 1939 does not look like wear, I will post another scan for you. Thank you very much for your help!

k2bot4.jpg

a330gn.jpg

k2bot4.jpg

It looks like a double exergue line. But do bear in mind, although only about 1 in 15 of the 1940s are single exergue line, that doesn't make them rare! Probably between 1 and 2 million according to Freeman. Where they are rare however, is in BU - all 1940s are scarce in BU but the single line is really scarce.

k2bot4.jpg

It looks like a double exergue line. But do bear in mind, although only about 1 in 15 of the 1940s are single exergue line, that doesn't make them rare! Probably between 1 and 2 million according to Freeman. Where they are rare however, is in BU - all 1940s are scarce in BU but the single line is really scarce.

Thank you, any opinion on the 1939?

Only that it is interesting - I've not seen that before, nor does it seem to be recorded. It MIGHT simply be one-off damage to the loop of the 9, but at the same time the inner loop looks smaller too. Worth keeping out of interest.

Only that it is interesting - I've not seen that before, nor does it seem to be recorded. It MIGHT simply be one-off damage to the loop of the 9, but at the same time the inner loop looks smaller too. Worth keeping out of interest.

Thank you, I was wondering if there are any variety types on the 1926/1927 farthing please?

Thank you, I was wondering if there are any variety types on the 1926/1927 farthing please?

No. 20th Century farthing varieties are few and far between. In fact, after 1915, there is only the 4 die pairings for 1953, and that's about it. This is true of small coins in general - you will also find very few varieties of silver 3d, or even sixpences, after around 1893.

No. 20th Century farthing varieties are few and far between. In fact, after 1915, there is only the 4 die pairings for 1953, and that's about it. This is true of small coins in general - you will also find very few varieties of silver 3d, or even sixpences, after around 1893.

I have emailed the site admin on aboutfarthings.com.

There is only 1 variety of the 1926 farthing but my farthing has differences.

Mine has a ball under the tirdent and have also just noticed that the legend on my coin is set slighty further away from the teeth?? Their example has 2 prongs touching the teeth where as none of my prongs touch the teeth? I shall await his reply :rolleyes: