British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
kuhli

Where should we start?

Chris,

I understand that you want to bring the prices current in all the books, and I think you mentioned starting with the Geo III book. Not being an advanced collector of that period (or even a beginner collector of that period), I am not familiar with the coins, and I do not have that book. But you do, and you can look at the book and see which prices are still somewhat accurate, and which ones are way off.

Instead of us all throwing all kinds of values for 1938 pennies and 1896 farthings and 1903 shillings, etc., at you, tell us what dates/denominations you would like us to focus on, and then we can collectively do our independent research on those items, and give you some more substantial figures that would probably be more representative of the current trends.

example: If the Geo III shillings prices are outdated, then maybe we can all work on gathering some current prices for you to use to calculate what the current "catalog value" should be.

example: You may want to get a better idea of the difference in prices between "cartwheel penny" in F and EF, so we could get several dealer prices in both grades.

Just some thoughts, trying to help. If I am out of line, then give me the quick kick in the arse.

yes, that would help...i would like to focus on sets and pennies as you know...

I think the current system is ok because there's not many sources other than Ebay and Colin Cooke and obviously this site so we couldn't really research much stuff.

Kuhli,

No your not out of line at all.

What I will do when I've paid the men there money for 'Rotographic', is ask for volunteers for each area and assign coin types/date ranges to people, if they will be kind enough to help.

Right now my biggest job is fiddling around trying to get the current version converted to a modern file format, so I can change it with the greatest of ease when Mr Marles has given me his 2005 edition of collectors coins (I will probably merge it to some degree with Collectors' GIII coins, but that book itself will have to wait)

I may find the very conservative Mr Marles' prices are mostly ok, I'll need to look at it when I have it, and ask you lot to verify them by telling me what you discover.

In the mean time you can use the Rotographic database on the website to enter coin data. I'll probably be posting the current database in here, when the time comes, for us all to see, so that we don't repeat ourselves.

do we have a gold section in this catalogue (i really can't remember, i'm not up on coin catalogues, or is this the one that just does copper and silver?), i'm willing to look up prices for the shield reverse sovereigns!

There are a lot more sources than Colin Cooke, eBay and me. There are plenty of other dealers lists out there if you look, that's not even including the postal ones.

Does anyone get main order lists in the post?

Sylv: This book has no gold, but I when I do a gold one I'll keep you in mind.

Anyone signed up for the double florins then? :D

thats a point chris, what are all of us doing (Pennies, Florins, Sixpences...)?

There are a lot more sources than Colin Cooke, eBay and me. There are plenty of other dealers lists out there if you look, that's not even including the postal ones.

Sylv: This book has no gold, but I when I do a gold one I'll keep you in mind.

if a gold one does arise i'm happy to take on shield reverse sovereigns and guineas and half guineas, so far as it is possible to get a good range of the guinea gold, cos much of it is never seen!

(i.e anything pre George III!)

thats a point chris, what are all of us doing (Pennies, Florins, Sixpences...)?

Well i should imagine that there will be no end of volunteers for the copper/bronze, many many copper and bronze fans out here.

I dunno if Geoff had volunteered but i know he likes halfcrowns.

I'm might considered researching some stuff on florins and i might volunteer to take the 4/- ones as well.

I think that will be enough for me, so question is who's doing the crowns, halfcrowns, shillings, sixpences, groats and threepences?

I'm sure I'll work something out when the time comes. Don't worry, you will all get assigned tasks that most befit.

is it just me Chris or i'm i seeing the writing on the wall already? and what does this writing say? it say tanners. :o

You want to do sixpences?

That's what I mean - if you look. Not many of us get these dealer lists through the post.

That's what I mean - if you look. Not many of us get these dealer lists through the post.

dealer lists, i get three (in theory although one guy hasn't sent one for a while but i know where his website is), that and i also buy from a few other sites, as well as a coin shop, plus i can look in other coin catalogues, before i even bother with ebay.

I prefer dealer lists, they let me browse whenever i want, even when i can't get on the internet, i tend to buy more from list sending dealers. But you can't beat a coin shop, there's nothing quite like seeing the coin in hand as you hand the money over, but this is usually how i end up spending more than i ought!

So i should be able to look at about 8 different sources.

And i suppose i really should do sixpences, i mean although these modern ones are completely out of my area of expertise, (especially the young head Victorian ones), but i'm sure i'll give it a go.

But i can't do florins and sixpences, so someone else will have to do florins, and doubles. Because sixpences are such a long series.

What date zone do you want me to concentrate on first? 1787-1837, Victorian YH, 1887-1901, 1902-1919, 1920-1936, 1937-1970?

Anyone signed up for the double florins then? :D

Well, they have to be done! I've already pmed Chris and offered what help I can in halfcrowns, so double florins would seem a likely progression. And I am rather partial to them...all of them ;)

I could do dealers lists if you want, I could just get them sent to me because of this book. I would love to do anything Victorian, but I also don't mind doing George V, George VI or Elizabeth II when I have finished the Victorian...

I would love to do anything Victorian, but I also don't mind doing George V, George VI or Elizabeth II when I have finished the Victorian...

well, as long as you leave pennies to me then i am fine with that :)

I think it would be unwise to leave such a complex and long date run to one person, and a recent collector too. Splitting it up would allow for more indepth and consciencious research. That's my opinion anyway, I could be wrong.

You're absolutely right Oli. Master Jmd will be involved with pennies because I know he's in to pennies right now. But he won't be the only one doing pennies.

I think it would be unwise to leave such a complex and long date run to one person, and a recent collector too. Splitting it up would allow for more indepth and consciencious research. That's my opinion anyway, I could be wrong.

Master Jmd will be involved with pennies because I know he's in to pennies right now. But he won't be the only one doing pennies.

Exactly, i do not want to have to be the only one researching over 200 years of pennies...that would be hard and time consuming...and i think that custard1966 said about coppers somewhere...

Sorry, I thought you just wanted to do then as you said "leave them to me". I was gonna buy some more Farthings off Colin Cooke but got a tad carried away and the bill was £80 so I didn't proceed!

I hope that I will still be involved in half pennies! :o

Sorry to join late chaps. On the topic of pricing there are online databases that allow searching for by coin type/date/prices etc from major UK auctions. I have a subscription for one of these and could perhaps verify some of the pricing that evolves from your work.

DAS

That sounds good DAS, I could probably do with subscribing myself. Email me the details, I don't want free ads in here ;)