British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Master Jmd

eek! foreign coins...

I have been clearing my room out so my dad and i can dacorate it, and when i moved my cupboard i found that there was a bag of foreign coins behind it...can you help me identify them and give values:

• Russian or Greek?: 20 APAXMEE (First A is like a triangle, Last E is like a backward 3) 5 of them = 1976 VF, 1982 VF, 1986 GVF x2, 1978 AVF...

Russian or Greek?: same as above but 50 not 20 APAXMEE 2 of them = 1986 AVF x2...

Russian or Greek?: same as above but 100 not 50 APAXMEE 1 of them = 1990 EF...

Russian or Greek?: same as above but 10 not 100 APAXMEE 2 of them = 1984 EF, 1986 AVF...

Russian or Greek?: same as above but 5 not 10 APAXMEE 4 of them = 1986 AUnc, 1988 EF, 1982 AVF, 1984 VF...

Russian or Greek?: same as above but 2 not 5 APAXMEE 1 of them = 1984 GVF...

all of the above have what could be greek or russian lettering, the APAXMEE is what is writen above the coin denomination (20, 50, 100 etc...) all of the russian/greek coins are circular, they may not be russian or greek...

please help, thanks :)

In my room, I have a shoebox filled with foreign coins, mostly european. :D

They're Greek - a simple google would have shown you that. Anyone with a Krause can value them but they won't be worth much.

Btw, get cool wallpaper. I have this stuff made by a german company which is textured crocodile skin. It gets rave reviews from everyone but it was expensive *cough* £25 per roll *cough* *cough* :D

Also, get wooden florring, its funny to watch your cat (if you have one) run in and slide about everywhere! :D

Also, get wooden florring, its funny to watch your cat (if you have one) run in and slide about everywhere! :D

So to sum up: Get Crocodile wallpaper, wooden flooring, and a cat!

i got the cat bit...

Jiffy wasn't it?! Or was it Jif or Cif - i cn't remember all these cleaning product cat names! :lol:

yes Jiffy! (now Cif), you have a good memory!

• Russian or Greek?: 20 APAXMEE (First A is like a triangle, Last E is like a backward 3)

This says DRACHMEE, so definitely Greek.

ok, thanks :)

The quotes are from the 2002 Krause Standard Catalog of World Coins 29th edition.

using US grading standards

NOTE: Prior to 1982, the denomination should read APAXMAI (drachmai). From 1982 onward, it should read APAXMEE (drachmes). The singular is drachma.

Russian or Greek?: 20 APAXMEE (First A is like a triangle, Last E is like a backward 3) 5 of them = 1976 VF, 1982 VF, 1986 GVF x2, 1978 AVF...

These have Pericles on the obverse

1976 (should say APAXMAI as denomination) VF=$0.30, XF=$0.50

1978 VF=$0.30, XF=$0.50

1982 VF=$0.30, XF=$0.50

Russian or Greek?: same as above but 50 not 20 APAXMEE 2 of them = 1986 AVF x2...

These have Archon of Athens on the obverse

1986 VF=$0.50, XF=$1.00

Russian or Greek?: same as above but 100 not 50 APAXMEE 1 of them = 1990 EF...

These have Homer on the obverse

1990 XF=$0.75

Russian or Greek?: same as above but 10 not 100 APAXMEE 2 of them = 1984 EF, 1986 AVF...

These have Democritus on the obverse

1984 VF=$0.25, XF=$0.50

Russian or Greek?: same as above but 5 not 10 APAXMEE 4 of them = 1986 AUnc, 1988 EF, 1982 AVF, 1984 VF...

These have Aristotle on the obverse

1982 VF=$0.20, XF=$0.35

1984 VF=$0.20, XF=$0.35

1986 VF=$0.20, XF=$0.35

1988 XF=$0.30

Russian or Greek?: same as above but 2 not 5 APAXMEE 1 of them = 1984 GVF...

This one features Georgios Karaiskakis (led a revolution in 1821 which resulted in Greece's independence from Turkey)

1984 VF=$0.10, XF=$0.20

thanks kulhi :)